Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #556
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rben View Post
They sure are, especially for the minivan. Yesterday over $500 for our trip, this morning $249! I've got an Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape?) through Budget at $190 right now and a Fullsize with Alamo for $114(!!), but I'm waiting to see if I can get the minivan for under $200 for 5/26-5/31 out of TPA. It's such a game! But it keeps me busy until our trip...
I just got a 7 day minivan for $199 with Alamo out of TPA so I think your odds might be pretty good!

I also have a Fullsize car with Budget for $115. Still trying to decide which to keep.

Aidan's Pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post33984742
Soon2B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #557
sab53085
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know of any car rental companies (or any tips to avoid) that don't have the Young Driver fee? We have a reservation through Dollar but my boyfriend is 24; there's no option on the website to add a young driver to see how much it would cost. I don't want to spend hundreds of extra dollars!

For example, if I book Alamo through Expedia would I be able to bypass the counter and just use the kiosk? Will the kiosk know he's not 25 and automatically add an additional fee?

1992 - Offsite ~ 1997 - Travelodge DTD ~ 1998 - Travelodge DTD ~ 2000 - Marriott Orlando World Center ~ 2001 - Marriott Orlando World Center ~ 2002 - Hilton DTD ~ 2009 - Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa ~ 2012 - POR Royal Room & WDW Dolphin ~ May 2013: POR Royal Room & Yacht Club ~ October 2013: Kidani Village & Coronado Springs ~ May 2014: Jambo House & Yacht Club
sab53085 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #558
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab53085
Does anyone know of any car rental companies (or any tips to avoid) that don't have the Young Driver fee? We have a reservation through Dollar but my boyfriend is 24; there's no option on the website to add a young driver to see how much it would cost. I don't want to spend hundreds of extra dollars!

For example, if I book Alamo through Expedia would I be able to bypass the counter and just use the kiosk? Will the kiosk know he's not 25 and automatically add an additional fee?
If you have any way to use a company discount code they often waive that fee. We use my husbands company discount and have never had to pay that crazy fee and we are only 23/24 this year.
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #559
sab53085
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsquared View Post
If you have any way to use a company discount code they often waive that fee. We use my husbands company discount and have never had to pay that crazy fee and we are only 23/24 this year.
What companies have you rented from that didn't charge you?

1992 - Offsite ~ 1997 - Travelodge DTD ~ 1998 - Travelodge DTD ~ 2000 - Marriott Orlando World Center ~ 2001 - Marriott Orlando World Center ~ 2002 - Hilton DTD ~ 2009 - Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa ~ 2012 - POR Royal Room & WDW Dolphin ~ May 2013: POR Royal Room & Yacht Club ~ October 2013: Kidani Village & Coronado Springs ~ May 2014: Jambo House & Yacht Club
sab53085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #560
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

5/22 -5/27....I now have a minivan for 253 (5 night get one free deal) and a Full Size for 125...if only I could decide which one to keep! We considered the SOG deal which would have been just 39$ for the standard and 125 for the van, but not sure we want to pass up the grocery store trip and take the time to head to pick it up....
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #561
g8rben
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B4 View Post
I just got a 7 day minivan for $199 with Alamo out of TPA so I think your odds might be pretty good!

I also have a Fullsize car with Budget for $115. Still trying to decide which to keep.
Here's to hoping! We're not over a Saturday though (Sun-Fri), so all the coupons typically don't help us. I have the SUV for $195 and the fullsize for $114 and have the same issue, which to keep? My goal is to keep it under $200 and have a bigger car, but that $114 price sure is nice. If I don't end up getting a minivan ressie for under $200 I'll probably decide between the two others when we arrive. The new Escape's look cool and I'd like to drive one though...
g8rben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #562
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rben View Post
Here's to hoping! We're not over a Saturday though (Sun-Fri), so all the coupons typically don't help us. I have the SUV for $195 and the fullsize for $114 and have the same issue, which to keep? My goal is to keep it under $200 and have a bigger car, but that $114 price sure is nice. If I don't end up getting a minivan ressie for under $200 I'll probably decide between the two others when we arrive. The new Escape's look cool and I'd like to drive one though...
Sooo, we kept the full size with Budget. They tried giving us a Ford Fusion saying it was an upgrade from the standard I booked! We questioned the guy in the parking garage and his list said the Fusion was a standard also. They called a customer service number and the said the NEW Fusions are full size.

We are about to drive away in our Fusion against my better judgement and the guy shows up and offers us the Ford Escape for the same money! ($115). Turns out he did some checking and the Fusion they were giving us was the older/smaller standard sized model.

Long story short, don't trust the rental car guys and the Ford Escape in pretty nice. Ours has about 8k miles and is like new.

Aidan's Pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post33984742
Soon2B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #563
g8rben
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Sooo, we kept the full size with Budget. They tried giving us a Ford Fusion saying it was an upgrade from the standard I booked! We questioned the guy in the parking garage and his list said the Fusion was a standard also. They called a customer service number and the said the NEW Fusions are full size.

We are about to drive away in our Fusion against my better judgement and the guy shows up and offers us the Ford Escape for the same money! ($115). Turns out he did some checking and the Fusion they were giving us was the older/smaller standard sized model.

Long story short, don't trust the rental car guys and the Ford Escape in pretty nice. Ours has about 8k miles and is like new.
Nice! Now my problem is my SUV is with Budget but the fullsize with Alamo....Good to know the Escape is nice. I'm wondering if I show up to Alamo and offer to buy the full tank of gas or something that maybe they'll upgrade me to an SUV or minivan. Decisions! Glad you gamed the system, enjoy your trip.
g8rben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #564
mzozzietj
DIS Veteran

I ended up changing our flight last minute so now we'll be there from Friday 5/17 to Tuesday 5/21. I was able to modify my reservation for $20 more the extra night. Not quite as good as it was but still a great price... 62.24 inclusive for a rollerskate err I mean economy car lol! It's only my 4 yr old and I so I don't care about car size
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #565
JERSEYGIRLINSI
JERSEYGIRL LIVING IN NEW YORK AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Hi JerseyGirl: Whenever you get back or have time, do you mind clarifying: did Car Care Center honor the rate you got at SOG, so you didn't even have to go to SOG? If so, that's great but seems like they undercut SOG - especially if each facility has a monthly quota to meet. I currently have a Grand Cherokee booked for early June at SOG and trying to see how to handle the shuttle issue.

Thanks and hope you have a great trip!
Just back, still tired!
Car Care Center DID honor the rate I was quoted with my SOG reservation. I thought for sure it would be some issue (jaded New Yorker), but once inside, they looked up my reservation, and completed the paper work. We had a new Mazda5, only 2000 miles! I prepaid for the gas at $3.30 a gallon, my total was $146 from May 3- May 12, dropping off at MCO. Just as a FYI for anyone that might be renting a ECV, it fit inside the trunk with no issue. We had the ECV that can accommodate up to 300lbs, and rented through Walker.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #566
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYGIRLINSI View Post
Just back, still tired!
Car Care Center DID honor the rate I was quoted with my SOG reservation.
Thanks for the response. Glad you had a good time. [I mean, I assume you had a good time]

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #567
EPCOT is a verb
Former Long-time lurkers
I remember reading something on the DIS about...

Beware! Just returned our Budget car at MCO. The rate was a lot higher than I expected. Turns out the I accidentally entered 4 am as the return time instead of 4 pm. I can't imagine how I did that. Major bummer.
Mar '10 off-site HGVC, May '10 Pop, May '11 Pop, Oct '11 BLT, Dec '11 off-site HGVC, Aug '12 Pop, Oct '12 Dolphin, May '13 off-site HGVC, Aug '13 Pop, Oct '13 BWV... and it is time to plan another trip!!
EPCOT is a verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #568
JERSEYGIRLINSI
JERSEYGIRL LIVING IN NEW YORK AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Thanks for the response. Glad you had a good time. [I mean, I assume you had a good time]
Goes without saying, its a Disney vacation! First early May visit that has had extreme heat (92 some days), and extreme rain(I mean the sky opened up and emptied out...and did that for hours at a time)! We did experience cranky cast members at the resort, as well as at the parks, and that did take away some of the "Magic". But it's Disney, how do you not have a good time.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #569
MDsMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:

So Budget doesn't allow you to pick your car. Does Dollar??
Sept 2013 AKL - Kidani & AOA April 2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
MDsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #570
nascargirl
DIS Veteran

Alamo is down again today but not by much. My rate dropped by $3 but it is now under 230 for a 10 day rental with a full size car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: