Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #661
ludari
DIS Veteran
 
ludari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
You can totally PR at Disney, weather depending. I have never once had my picture taken with a character during a race. That's not why I'm there.
Although I seen people do it I don't think Disney races are ideal for attempting to PR unless of course you are in the very front of corral A. IMHO Disney races are primarily for fun. I've notice too much congestion at certain spots on the course and with people stopping to take pictures it's just not ideal.
__________________
Annual Pass Holder. DVC Member - March 2011
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #662
IamTrike
DIS Veteran
 
IamTrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTKD View Post
I'd need to go sub 4:00 to PR the marathon, which might happen.

But the half I'd have to go 1:38, which definitely ISN'T happening the day before the marathon.

I'm treating the 10K as an easy training run. I may let loose for the 5K though. But I've never had a good 5K race, so why would this be any different?
Outside of Dopey I'm striving for the ever elusive sub 1:40 half. During Dopey I'll be happy with 1:45 to 1:50. My goal this year is to run a sub 6 Goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I could PR on the half (if that was all I was running), or possibly on the full (though the half the day before would make it difficult). I probably won't PR on either the 5k or the 10k - either one is possible, but my PRs on those are good enough that (1) it would take some dedicated effort to bring my times down; and (2) it would really affect the other races.

If I want to PR at any of the distances offered by runDisney, I will do it somewhere else. I can run a local 5k or 10k for a fraction of the price, on a course that I know well, and know to be fairly flat and fast. If I wanted to PR on a half or full, I would travel a bit, but again, runDisney events would not be my first choice - the curses have too many choke points, have the potential to be warmer and more humid than I like for a PR, artificially handicap me, or are in a series of races where a PR attempt on any of them impacts all the other races.

Now, if it is your first race at that distance, it's automatically a PR.
For me I like Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks as a PR half marathon course. Both are flat and there's only about 3000 runners. That's enough runners to get some energy but not enough to get caught in a bottle neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
Although I seen people do it I don't think Disney races are ideal for attempting to PR unless of course you are in the very front of corral A. IMHO Disney races are primarily for fun. I've notice too much congestion at certain spots on the course and with people stopping to take pictures it's just not ideal.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see if the corral changes will do anything to make the course seem less crowded.
__________________
Ack! Logo currently taking time off to enjoy a Dole Whip at the bequest of Disney's legal team.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #663
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
It will be interesting to see if the corral changes will do anything to make the course seem less crowded.
I think it will. Not that the corrals will be less crowded, but they'll be better seeded.
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #664
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I think it will. Not that the corrals will be less crowded, but they'll be better seeded.
I think it will help a bit, but I wonder if it also means that they will move men back another corral or two for the Princess and the Tink.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #665
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,585

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I think it will help a bit, but I wonder if it also means that they will move men back another corral or two for the Princess and the Tink.
Or just put us into the last two corrals to further deter us from entering.
__________________
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #666
RussTKD
Mouseketeer
 
RussTKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post


For me I like Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks as a PR half marathon course. Both are flat and there's only about 3000 runners. That's enough runners to get some energy but not enough to get caught in a bottle neck.
There's a half-mary in New Orleans in Fall that's tailor made for a PR if the weather cooperates. Last year there were 2500 runners, it's flat, it's fairly straight, there's ample support, and the streets are plenty wide. It's where I went sub 1:40 last year (by 7 seconds).

I don't know if I'll run it this year. The training plan I'm doing for Dopey doesn't jibe with a half the day of that race.
__________________
RussTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #667
DanK
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4

My wife and I are going to be running Dopey this year, and are trying to figure out what the best resorts to stay at will be. We are looking at the Deluxe level, and figure that being at the EPCOT area would be convenient to enable us to walk to and from the start areas.

Anybody have recommendations between Beach or Yacht Club Resort or Villas, and Boardwalk Inn or Villas?

Is staying in the EPCOT area actually beneficial on race days? Will we be able to walk to the start, or are we unable to get there due to the park being closed that early? Will buses run to the start if we can't walk?

Apologies if wrong thread...

Dan
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #668
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran
 
Sarah_Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,729

You are not able to walk to the start from the Epcot area resorts, because Epcot is not open at that time. However, you can walk through Epcot after the race (if you have a valid park ticket), which is a nice bonus because it gives you a chance to stretch out your legs, instead of sitting on a bus for 30 minutes and letting them stiffen up.

There are buses (or monorail from the monorail resorts) from every resort to the start time. I'm not sure there is any benefit to staying at any one resort or resort area - we've stayed everywhere from value to deluxe, and have had good bus service every time. I'm sure someone here will pipe in with a bad experience at one resort one time, though.

Some people also walk to the start line from Port Orleans and OKW - it involves crossing a busy road in the dark, though. I haven't personally done that, but again, I'm sure someone will pipe in with their experience.
__________________
Sarah ~ mom to DS(4) and DD(2)

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #669
swimfly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
My wife and I are going to be running Dopey this year, and are trying to figure out what the best resorts to stay at will be. We are looking at the Deluxe level, and figure that being at the EPCOT area would be convenient to enable us to walk to and from the start areas.

Anybody have recommendations between Beach or Yacht Club Resort or Villas, and Boardwalk Inn or Villas?

Is staying in the EPCOT area actually beneficial on race days? Will we be able to walk to the start, or are we unable to get there due to the park being closed that early? Will buses run to the start if we can't walk?

Apologies if wrong thread...

Dan
I am 100% bias towards YC/BC in the Epcot resort area. You will take a bus to the start line. As PP pointed out, you can walk back through Epcot afterwards. which is nice for your legs. I also prefer the walk back b/c the buses sit and wait until full and post-race runners STINK!!! Love ya'll but you know we do. I lean towards YC/BC over BW b/c of the pools. It's a total guess whether we'll have good pool whether in January though. There aren't too many differences between YC/BC. Here's a few... YC rooms all have balconies, further from Epcot but closer to transportation, lobby is quieter, decor is darker/yacht club themed. BC not all rooms have balconies only about 50%, rooms have beachy decor, lobby is busy, close to marketplace and closer to Epcot. You will find me at Beaches & Cream following the race and then I'll immediately plop myself into a hot tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
I'm sure someone here will pipe in with a bad experience at one resort one time, though.
Me! Me! Me! :-) I'm not a fan of staying value before a race. The beds are just horrible and outdoor corridors are noisy. The bus lines are definitely longer than any other resort I have stayed at.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #670
DanK
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I am 100% bias towards YC/BC in the Epcot resort area. You will take a bus to the start line. As PP pointed out, you can walk back through Epcot afterwards. which is nice for your legs. I also prefer the walk back b/c the buses sit and wait until full and post-race runners STINK!!! Love ya'll but you know we do. I lean towards YC/BC over BW b/c of the pools. It's a total guess whether we'll have good pool whether in January though. There aren't too many differences between YC/BC. Here's a few... YC rooms all have balconies, further from Epcot but closer to transportation, lobby is quieter, decor is darker/yacht club themed. BC not all rooms have balconies only about 50%, rooms have beachy decor, lobby is busy, close to marketplace and closer to Epcot. You will find me at Beaches & Cream following the race and then I'll immediately plop myself into a hot tub.
Awesome, thank you for the detailed response. Just what we were looking for!
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #671
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
My wife and I are going to be running Dopey this year, and are trying to figure out what the best resorts to stay at will be. We are looking at the Deluxe level, and figure that being at the EPCOT area would be convenient to enable us to walk to and from the start areas.

Anybody have recommendations between Beach or Yacht Club Resort or Villas, and Boardwalk Inn or Villas?

Is staying in the EPCOT area actually beneficial on race days? Will we be able to walk to the start, or are we unable to get there due to the park being closed that early? Will buses run to the start if we can't walk?

Apologies if wrong thread...

Dan
I would recommend anything in the Epcot resorts area. I know you are now aware you cannot walk to the race so that aside...what I like about Epcot resorts? Its a whole circle of fun! You can walk everywhere . Aside from Epcot which is obvious, you can walk to Hollywood studios via a foot path. The boardwalk is very nice and fun at night. It turns into a real life old fashioned boardwalk at night. Plenty of resturants. You can even take a boat ride around just for fun. I mostly like it because you can just stay there for enjoyment.
The YC/BC are very posh nice hotels. Nice pools.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #672
jlovesee
DIS Veteran
 
jlovesee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 943

Haven't posted here yet, but my husband and I registered the first day registration was open for the Dopey using the DVC discount (and early registration option). This will definitely be a challenge for us, but I think it is do-able. We were originally planning on goofy, but we figured that a 5k and 10k are already normal everyday runs for us anyway, that those shouldn't be to big a deal.

We just ran our first 1/2 marathon this last weekend, running with the cows in Bucyrus, Kansas (anyone else?) official had a 2:34 time, which isn't super fast, but we weren't dead afterwards either, and there were LOTS of hills. Definitely a great experience for anyone in the region looking for a fun 1/2 marathon.

Question, does anyone know what a 2:34 pace equals to a marathon pace? I know its not 2 X 2:34, but wondering if that is less then mandatory last corral placement, to use for corral placement for the full. We are planning on many more 1/2's before January but didn't want the pain of updating each time. (so far looking at the Broadway Bridge here in KC, and Space Coast at minimum) I would rather just put a time in, and as long as I am not in the very last corral be good with it.

Thanks!

Jennifer
__________________


www.JeffreyandJennifer.com

OKW/BWV JAN 2015 | POP TOT 10 Miler 2014 | BCV/BLT JAN 2014 | POR SWW MAY 2013 | WLV JAN 2013 | AKV SWW/JUNE 2012 | OKW JAN 2012 | POP SWW MAY 2011 | BLT JAN 2011 | POR AUG 2010 | BWV/POLY ANNIV 2010 | Free Dining Pop Century AUG 2009 | WLV ANNIV 2009 | OKW/POR IAAPA 2008 | Disneyland Off-Site March 2008| OKW/POP ANNIV 2008 | POR DEC 2007 | POR Nov 2006 | CSR June 2006 | POP Aniv. 2005 & 2006 | CSR Summer 2004 | WL Aniv 2004 | Grand Californian New Years 2004 | Royal Pacific IAAPA 2003 | WL/AK/PB/Disney Cruise Anniv 2003 | POFQ Summer 2002 | WL Concierge Honeymoon 2002 | AS MOVIES Pre-Wedding | CSR - Summer 2001 Planning Session | WL Engagement 2000 | WDW Off Property 1990 & 1994 | Disneyland 1985
jlovesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #673
AB6876
Mouseketeer
 
AB6876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesee View Post
Haven't posted here yet, but my husband and I registered the first day registration was open for the Dopey using the DVC discount (and early registration option). This will definitely be a challenge for us, but I think it is do-able. We were originally planning on goofy, but we figured that a 5k and 10k are already normal everyday runs for us anyway, that those shouldn't be to big a deal.

We just ran our first 1/2 marathon this last weekend, running with the cows in Bucyrus, Kansas (anyone else?) official had a 2:34 time, which isn't super fast, but we weren't dead afterwards either, and there were LOTS of hills. Definitely a great experience for anyone in the region looking for a fun 1/2 marathon.

Question, does anyone know what a 2:34 pace equals to a marathon pace? I know its not 2 X 2:34, but wondering if that is less then mandatory last corral placement, to use for corral placement for the full. We are planning on many more 1/2's before January but didn't want the pain of updating each time. (so far looking at the Broadway Bridge here in KC, and Space Coast at minimum) I would rather just put a time in, and as long as I am not in the very last corral be good with it.

Thanks!

Jennifer
Hello!! My husband and I ran goofy last year and we had a lot of fun..
To answer your pace question, if you put it in a pace calculator (McMillan running) it has you at a 5:24:06 (12:22 per mile) marathon time. I am not sure how that correlates to a corral, but I had a similar time - 1 min per mile and ended up in corral D.
You should not be in the last corral....
__________________


AB6876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #674
swimfly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesee
Haven't posted here yet, but my husband and I registered the first day registration was open for the Dopey using the DVC discount (and early registration option). This will definitely be a challenge for us, but I think it is do-able. We were originally planning on goofy, but we figured that a 5k and 10k are already normal everyday runs for us anyway, that those shouldn't be to big a deal.

We just ran our first 1/2 marathon this last weekend, running with the cows in Bucyrus, Kansas (anyone else?) official had a 2:34 time, which isn't super fast, but we weren't dead afterwards either, and there were LOTS of hills. Definitely a great experience for anyone in the region looking for a fun 1/2 marathon.

Question, does anyone know what a 2:34 pace equals to a marathon pace? I know its not 2 X 2:34, but wondering if that is less then mandatory last corral placement, to use for corral placement for the full. We are planning on many more 1/2's before January but didn't want the pain of updating each time. (so far looking at the Broadway Bridge here in KC, and Space Coast at minimum) I would rather just put a time in, and as long as I am not in the very last corral be good with it.

Thanks!

Jennifer
Wait to update your POT until this fall especially as you have other races planned. You want to be as far up as possible. Congrats on your first 1/2! Isn't the running bug fabulous?
__________________

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #675
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
Although I seen people do it I don't think Disney races are ideal for attempting to PR unless of course you are in the very front of corral A. IMHO Disney races are primarily for fun. I've notice too much congestion at certain spots on the course and with people stopping to take pictures it's just not ideal.

Have been in corrals A and C the last couple of years and both were open enough to PR. Only a few congestion points, and just that, points. They cleared up within a few seconds usually.

The marathon is one of the better supported races with liquids, fuel, GU, medical, etc. And the distractions all along the course and in particular those last 4-6 miles help out tremendously.

They certainly are fun but also great courses to PR if you are the competitive type.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: