DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Glad to see your post. We are brand new to DVC & plan to buy direct just because I can't handle the stress and possible disappointment of buying resale. Thanks for posting
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
nd43
Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You know that none of the two bedroom villas at BWV are dedicated, right? Only lockoffs. And neither BCV nor BWV have the sleeper chair in the living room of the one or two bedroom villa.

Just wanting to make sure you know all the facts.
All good points. But yes, we have stayed at both BWV and BCV. They are the resorts we have used the most. BLT was the one we had never visited. I feel the second bathroom in BLT in the one bedroom was also a really nice feature. For us, once we settled on staying with one of the Epcot resorts it came down to BCV vs. BWV. We liked the feel of boardwalk and access to a grand villa at 11 months, but once again, we think highly of both BCV and BWV and it was a close call.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
All good points. But yes, we have stayed at both BWV and BCV. They are the resorts we have used the most. BLT was the one we had never visited. I feel the second bathroom in BLT in the one bedroom was also a really nice feature. For us, once we settled on staying with one of the Epcot resorts it came down to BCV vs. BWV. We liked the feel of boardwalk and access to a grand villa at 11 months, but once again, we think highly of both BCV and BWV and it was a close call.
Just wanted you to have the facts in case you didn't know. Your decision is your decision and you can make any decision you want to make. Enjoy your DVC trips.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Countryrunner262
Mouseketeer

We thought about direct, but for the same points it was$9500.00 more. We are still waiting on rofr. Yes, stressful, but for us spending more money for the same thing may be stressful too. To each is own, and I congratulate you on your future purchase. Hopefully you will not be on the wait list too long. Good luck!
Countryrunner262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

DH and I purchased direct and financed... Lightning didn't strike us and we have used and enjoyed our purchase. Good decision? Not for some. It has worked fine for us. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
DH and I purchased direct and financed... Lightning didn't strike us and we have used and enjoyed our purchase. Good decision? Not for some. It has worked fine for us. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy.
One thing that I think would be helpful is if you mentioned when you purchased direct. At that time, direct prices were about $50 per point less. It does make a difference.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #22
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We are on the waitlist for BCV for an add on and totally agree with many of your reasoning to go direct. We have tried to do resale, but had the contract taken by ROFR also. If a resale that fits our needs comes up great, but if not we will continue to wait for our WL to come through and then celebrate the day that it does!

Good luck on your WL come through quickly.

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
JessLCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Hello,

This board has been a great resource and it has really helped educate us on the value of DVC and the value of buying resale.

However, for the people that voyage onto this board, I thought I would offer another perspective on buying direct as a newbie.

First off, the first thing we decided was to buy resale. We had an accepted offer on a 300 pt BLT contact at $90 per point. Everything went very smoothly until Disney took the contract in ROFR after waiting 29 days. We were just very unlucky as many contracts at and below our price for BLT were passed during this time.

So, after considering everything again, we called our guide and decided to try direct for 220 pts at BWV. We love BWV and just returned from a trip there. We are a big Epcot family. However, during our DVC review, I convinced myself BLT was a better choice (strangely, having never stayed there).

The one thing BLT did was circle the money for the 300 pts. If you notice, 220 pts at BWV is about the same total price direct as 300 at BLT resale. I guess we talked ourselves into that level of investment.

So, in the end, buying vacation futures for us is about getting away from stress. Buying direct, frankly, was just less stressful. So, we are going to buy fewer points, at a resort we love, direct.

There is no financial justification for our choice. We certainly could jump right into a BWV resale contract search. However, I just wanted to let others know that end up buying direct, you are not alone. We just found a way to spend the same money upfront in a less stressful way. We get fewer points, but it is easier for us to do. All the savings buying resale are real and this is not an attempt to deny or mask that. However, sometimes savings are just not everything.

In the end, we get a few more benefits as well. I am not sure they make financial sense, but they still do exist. We also get insulated from any future changes to resale contracts in the highly unlikely scenario Disney would make such changes retroactive. Again, highly unlikely this would happen, but a small comfort none the less.

Thank you to everyone for all the valuable info.

BTW, why did we pick BWV vs. BCV? Strangely, for a reason I have not seen mentioned! BWVs have grand villa options and BCVs do not. We want to be able to "splurge" on our grand kids one day and bank and barrow ourselves into a grand villa vacation. Having the 11 month window to do that was a difference maker for us. We actually really enjoy both resorts.

I guess I am now ready to join the lonely and poorer direct club.
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear you did not pass ROFR. Your story makes me not very optimistic about passing ROFR for our BLT purchase. However, if we don't pass, we won't purchase direct and may not even try again for resale unless something really specific comes up. We are only interested in becoming DVC members at the right price for us.

Wilderness Lodge Villas (2/07, 2/09, 12/13)
Grand Californian Villas (8/10)
Saratoga Springs Resort (11/11)
Disney Dream (2/12)
Royal Pacific Resort Universal ( 2/12, 9/14)
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential (11/12)
Disneyland Hotel (8/13)
Bay Lake Tower (10/13, 11/14)
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (1/14)
Aulani (8/14)
Grand Floridian Villas (1/15)
JessLCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #24
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Best wishes to you, OP! Enjoy those BWV points!

Bobbi
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
Irishmom23
DIS Veteran
Some Tag Fairies are IRISH themselves! :-D

Congratulations on your decision. I also bought SSR direct (and also financed, bought BCV direct (paid cash) and am now on the waitlist for HH direct. Happy with my decision and enjoying every minute of my stays at WDW and beyond
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
Sunshine22
Mouseketeer

We've purchased both direct and resale. For us, when adding a small contract, the price difference is often not enough to justify the stress and uncertainty of buying resale. It's also great to have your points deposited into your account within a day or two of calling your guide for a purchase (unless there is a long waiting list for a resort that isn't actively being sold).

For larger contracts or new DVC resorts, we strongly consider the factors of price, location, and length of the contract when making our decision regarding direct or resale.

A few years ago, the incentives to buy BLT direct were so good, that there was little if any price differential when purchasing BLT direct vs. resale. (Note: Other resorts were selling for less in the resale market, but we had already decided that we preferred the location and length of contract of BLT).

Recent price increases will make it more challenging to justify purchasing direct. However, location, location, location and perceived difficulty of getting resorts at 7 month window for VGF and Poly?? DVCs might be big factors to some purchasers.
Sunshine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I have had six contracts taken by ROFR and yet I still go back for more. So you tell me who the dunce is.
Disney should be giving you a cut for all the good deals you've sent their way

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
One thing that I think would be helpful is if you mentioned when you purchased direct. At that time, direct prices were about $50 per point less. It does make a difference.
Curious, what size contracts, resorts were ROFR'ds for you???
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

I feel you OP.
Finding a resale contract that fits is hard enough, having it ROFRed by Disney makes it even more painful.

Good luck on your direct purchase. I have to say that the level of stress purchasing direct is about 1 (on a level of 1 to 10) vs. purchasing resale which is a 10.
So don't you fret... we bought 80% of our points direct
I don't think I'm cut out for the resale stress either...
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Disney should be giving you a cut for all the good deals you've sent their way
Who says they don't?

Ok, I'll say it...they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
Curious, what size contracts, resorts were ROFR'ds for you???
BCV, VB x2, VWL, BWV, OKW. All between 100-250 points.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: