Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2131
kataEbi
Earning My Ears

They've started with some renovations early here in building 3. Starting this week, we've been woken up by what sounds like jackhammers and saws tearing through the building, nearly shaking the walls. We have to talk loudly to each other to hear. They have some scaffolding up and by about 9am, are just making as much noise as possible.

I did ask that we were booked in a close building upon check-in, and this is quite close, but there was no mention of upcoming/ongoing construction.

I know most people are on their way to parks by 9, but we never are.

Im not typically one to complain, but this is really bad.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #2132
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
Call AAA or call WDW to ask about the discount?
Call WDW Central Reservations for the AAA discount for room only reservations. Make sure you have your AAA member # as they will ask for it.

I usually make my reservations as soon as the AAA discounts are released for the following year to make sure I can get one. Often the available discounts for POFQ go quickly.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #2133
Stitch Waffles
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
So, is anyone planning on going to Elliot Dyson's last night at Scat Cat's Club tonight? I really do hope this is only "au revoir" rather than goodbye, and that Disney do the right thing and bring him back after the lobby refurb.

Andre
So the man that sings nights in the lobby is no longer going to be around? He is huge to the atmosphere of POFQ. I love coming back to the resort at nights stopping for a few minutes just to listen to him.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2134
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We've just returned from our latest visit to WDW and a wonderful 10 day stay at POFQ. We had booked a garden view room and were pixie dusted on our arrival- we were given a lovely ground floor room at the end of building 5 that was a corner room with views of both the pool and the river!

We really enjoyed the resort. Mousekeeping was excellent each day, and we even had a cute little towel animal teddy bear waiting on the bed for us one day. Coffee/shampoo/conditioner/soaps were replenished as needed and without asking.

Had a chance to use the laundry room and the new credit card system worked just fine- the charges showed up on our credit card bill the next day. I brought my own detergent, so can't remember if the soap dispensers are credit card or cash. The new machines seem to work very well.

We found the room very quiet, even during the afternoon when the pool parties were going on, or in the evenings when the cheerleaders at the World Championships were blowing off steam.

All of the resort CMs were friendly and very helpful, without exception.

The food at the food court was pretty good. Of course the selection is a bit limited, but everything that we tried was well prepared. We couldn't believe the huge size of the fried chicken platter. Thank heaven that we had decided to share it before we ordered! And the gumbo was delicious, as were the beignets.

Loved the convenience of the boats, and the bus service was just as good as ever. Our longest wait was a bit over 10 minutes in the middle of the afternoon. We did share buses with POR for Epcot during the day (but not for park opening or closing) and for AK.

All in all this was one of our best stays ever, and we'd be happy to return to POFQ any time!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #2135
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
The food at the food court was pretty good. Of course the selection is a bit limited, but everything that we tried was well prepared. We couldn't believe the huge size of the fried chicken platter. Thank heaven that we had decided to share it before we ordered! And the gumbo was delicious, as were the beignets.
All in all this was one of our best stays ever, and we'd be happy to return to POFQ any time!
Glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay Minnie mum!!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the food court, because it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.......
I have read in several places about the limited selection at the POFQ food court. Does anyone know if the one over at POR is any better? I mean is it worth the walk/or ride over to peruse that food court over POFQ's ???

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #2136
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
I have read in several places about the limited selection at the POFQ food court. Does anyone know if the one over at POR is any better? I mean is it worth the walk/or ride over to peruse that food court over POFQ's ???
Yes, there is more to choose from at POR (although POFQ has a number of unique offerings of its own). Definitely worth a walk over for a visit anyway.

See www.portorleans.org/riversidemill.php and www.portorleans.org/floatworks.php for menus.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #2137
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataEbi View Post
They've started with some renovations early here in building 3. Starting this week, we've been woken up by what sounds like jackhammers and saws tearing through the building, nearly shaking the walls. We have to talk loudly to each other to hear. They have some scaffolding up and by about 9am, are just making as much noise as possible.

I did ask that we were booked in a close building upon check-in, and this is quite close, but there was no mention of upcoming/ongoing construction.

Are you talking about the lobby renovations, or renovations with the other buildings? If it's not the lobby area, what type of renovations are happening?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #2138
karly05
DIS Veteran

I had a 20% AAA discount at POFQ for early Feb Value season this year. Anyone know what the usual AAA room only discount is at POFQ for early May ("regular season")?
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #2139
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataEbi View Post

Please let us know if it continues...I also thought the renovations were inside the lobby only.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #2140
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
Please let us know if it continues...I also thought the renovations were inside the lobby only.
That's all I've been told about too. Although there could obviously be other exterior work (roofing, exterior painting, etc) which happens from time to time, but may not be pre-notified to guests.

The lobby refurb is all ready to begin by the way, I've just heard that they have already moved check-in facilities over to the old Bonfamille's Cafe area. Anyone got any photos yet?

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #2141
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Andre, we'll be checking in while the lobby is being refurbed. I'm sure that the guard at the gate will show us where to go to check in but will the temporary front desk be located near the main lobby? This will be our first stay at the resort so I am unfamiliar with the layout.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #2142
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

We check in Monday, so if nobody has chimed in by then with a refurb update I'll let you know what we know, and post some photos.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #2143
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Andre, we'll be checking in while the lobby is being refurbed. I'm sure that the guard at the gate will show us where to go to check in but will the temporary front desk be located near the main lobby?
Don't worry, it's really easy. You still go in through the same front entranceway, but the checkin desks will be to your left for the duration of the work rather than on the right as they usually are. It'll be well signposted, you won't be able to miss it.

Andre

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2144
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Don't worry, it's really easy. You still go in through the same front entranceway, but the checkin desks will be to your left for the duration of the work rather than on the right as they usually are. It'll be well signposted, you won't be able to miss it.

Andre
Thanks for the reassurance that we'll be able to find it easily. We check in on the 21st and are only staying for one night just so we can see how we like the resort for a possible longer stay in the future.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #2145
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

Just upgraded to a garden view because of free dinning I'm so excited our first trip to Disney what room or building should we request since its such a small place walking to the bus and food is not important I'd rather be close to the pool Jacuzzi for that late night dunk.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: