DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DW and I knew as soon as we heard of DVC that we would buy in.
We were staying onsite at DL-AB, took the tour, and DVC offered to use some of our monies from our onsite stay as our down payment.
We had previously been burnted by a timeshare sales pitch, so as an added requirement, we booked within the cancellation period a weekend stay to ensure it was everything we had been told it was. We were very happy that DVC turned out to be just as we were told.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

We bought our points SSR and OKW points without ever being to the resorts or seeing a room model. We'd been to WDW many times though and figured they'd be at least as good as a moderate room.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Caren90
DIS Veteran

We rented points from a DVC owner and after that stay we toured the properties.

Stephen
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

There was NO DVC when we bought. We've been members since Oct 1991 and bought unseen. We knew it would be great and we were not disappointed. We started looking into it in Feb 1991 when we first heard about it, called and nobody knew what we were talking about. Finally we received info, just artist's pictures. I had to carry those around because people thought we were crazy. I had been wanting to do this since I was very young. It just took Disney a while to come around to my way of thinking! They should have hired me years ago!! LOL!! Good Luck and....

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

We bought BWV sight unseen in 2009 and couldn't be happier with our choice.

We had gone to SSR in the fall of 2008 and went through the whole sales pitch and looked at the rooms there but left undecided. When we got back home I did some research online and discovered the resale market. I then researched all of the DVC resorts trying to decide where to buy.

In the end BWV won out for two reasons; a) the ability to book SV rooms for fewer points and b) location, location, location. By the time we went through ROFR, closed on our contract and got our points, we were already well into the 7 month booking window and I was only able to get a BWV PV room for several nights and had to take SSR for the remaining nights of our upcoming fall trip. I went on a waitlist to get the remaining nights but was unable to get them and so we had to switch resorts to SSR for the last couple of nights of our stay.

After that trip I was so thankful I hadn't bought SSR. I didn't like being so far away from all of the parks. I love BWV! I'm so glad that's where we purchased. We have since added on there and have our name on the waitlist to add on again. I love that I can save points by booking a SV studio right at the 11 month mark and I love, love, love being so close to both Epcot and HS. So for us, doing some research and buying sight unseen worked out perfect!

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We bought in 1997 at OKW on our first trip to WDW and staying at the Polynesian (got a great deal where we could put the cost of our stay at the Polynesian towards our purchase of OKW and reduce the price per point). We bought VWL and BCV preopening. We did not stay at any of them prior to buying, but we had hopped over to SAB (when it was still permissable) and Bill knew he wanted to stay there. I wanted VWL because we had always loved going to Yellowstone and staying there.

We sold the BCV points about seven years ago (and made a good profit on them) and still love our DVC stays. We only sold them because we got tired of giving Disney so much money.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
uconnfan4
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much to everyone for their thoughts. I do really appreciate it. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has ever considered buying without staying there first. I didn't think that I would be.

I have been researching this for over 3 months now and have already decided about some of the things that I like and don't like. That is how I narrowed it down to BLT, VWL, BCV, and BWV. I am familiar with the BLT or VWL area and love that location. Since I have never been to the BW I am hesitant about those resorts. I really do feel like I should see that area and make sure I like it. It is the time factor that kills me though. I will be in Florida this summer for a Disney Cruise and then a day at SeaWorld, but I will staying off site and don't know if I will have time to get to the BW area to look. Maybe I will just have to make it a priority to do so. Otherwise I won't be back until my trip in November to WL, and I can definitely look then. Maybe I just need to learn to be patient. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to obsessively stalk the DVC resales. Lol!

Thanks again!!
uconnfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
PinGirl
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnfan4 View Post
I am wondering how many people have bought in to DVC before they ever stayed at one of the properties.

I have stayed at CR, Poly, and SOG for my past 3 trips. I am staying at WL for my upcoming one, but I have never stayed at any DVC property or even really looked at one while I was there. I did try to rent points at VWL, BCV, or BWV for my upcoming trip, but it didn't work out.

So, am I crazy to think of buying when I haven't experienced it yet? I have read plenty about it. I have looked at pictures and more pictures. I have run numbers and considered multiple scenarios. I am planning to get down to the BW area on my upcoming trip and of course I could go over and check out VWL while I am there, but my trip is not until November and I don't know if I want to wait that long to buy.

If you did buy before you ever stayed at a DVC property, how did you decide where to buy. I totally understand the buy where you want to stay theory and agree with that. I am considering BLT, BWV, BCV, and VWL. I am leaning toward BWV or BCV, but am not entirely sold since I have never even seen that area.
We bought BWV having only seen the model.

We had stayed at POR - The Mansions and Alligator Alley.

We had also stayed at a Timeshare that shall go un-named. Said Timeshare flooded, due to poor construction and the room started growing mushrooms because the mold after the storm was so bad. As a result - we went to Disney Guest Services and explained our situation.

They got us a great room rate and we moved. (We did call the exchange company and ask to be moved, from the other TS - but they said it was hurricane season and that was their answer)

We stayed in the Alligator Alley room. It was hurricane season and we figured if Disney took care of us this well as regular guests, as DVC owners we would be very happy.

My sister also owns at BWV and we both agree - perhaps we've read too much Steven King - but the only thing we don't like is the creepy clown pool - but with pool hopping this can be avoided - so not really a huge inconvenience.

We own another timeshare - but agree that Disney is the best of the two purchases. We have never regretted spending the money and have used it more than we thought when we originally purchased. We love BWV and OKW - the latter for the larger rooms.

2013 - WDW - DCL Galveston Sailing- Planning Surprise
2013 WDW - BWV-7 Nights
2012 WDW NOV-BWV+DCL Fantasy 7 Nights
2010 WDW-BWV - 9 Nights
2009 WDW-Sept BCV/OKW - 10 Nights
2009 WDW-May POR - 9 Nights
2008 WDW-BWV/POR 11 Nights(OCT)-1st Welcome Home Trip!
2007-DL -(JULY)-DLH 2 Nights
PinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
adminjedi
I use my powers for good

My husband had stayed on property at deluxe resorts approximately 10 times. We went on our first trip together with our kids staying in a value resort. After that trip, the discussion about making it a yearly family trip led to the DVC debate. Both of us were 'anti-timeshare' in our opinions, but after a lot of spreadsheets and number crunching, we decided to purchase direct at SSR without having stayed there. On our first trip, we were stuck at the carousel building and far from everything. After that stay, we realized the biggest problem for us at SSR was the size of the resort and no booking categories. We later sold that contract and bought more points where we knew from experience and pre-veiw of the resorts was where we wanted to stay.

DVC MEMBER SINCE 2006
adminjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

We had never even stayed onsite before we bought in to DVC!

We always stayed offsite in deluxe type resorts as staying onsite was always a stretch too far but once we did the calculations we realised that DVC would work for us as a concept.

I wanted AK and hubby wanted BLT so on our next trip we visited both. I was amazed to find that I disliked AK on sight but as soon as we arrived at BLT and saw the location and the funky interior we were ready to buy!
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We stayed onsite at Contemporary, wilderness lodge, and all stars music, but never DVC before buying. I wasn't really aware of the resale market and believed our guide telling us where we had to buy - AKV or SSR at the time. We bought AkV but stayed at SsR on our first trip as members using developer points. Since then we have stayed at BLT, BcV, and AkV. We enjoyed them all. We just added on at BwV resale and plan our first trip there for MArch. Love EPcOt area and can't wait for our first visit home. We also have our first split stay already planned and booked for November. We are bringing friends for their first visit to WDW and are staying at AKV and BLT.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #27
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am wondering how many people have bought in to DVC before they ever stayed at one of the properties.

I have stayed at CR, Poly, and SOG for my past 3 trips. I am staying at WL for my upcoming one, but I have never stayed at any DVC property or even really looked at one while I was there. I did try to rent points at VWL, BCV, or BWV for my upcoming trip, but it didn't work out.

So, am I crazy to think of buying when I haven't experienced it yet? I have read plenty about it. I have looked at pictures and more pictures. I have run numbers and considered multiple scenarios. I am planning to get down to the BW area on my upcoming trip and of course I could go over and check out VWL while I am there, but my trip is not until November and I don't know if I want to wait that long to buy.

If you did buy before you ever stayed at a DVC property, how did you decide where to buy. I totally understand the buy where you want to stay theory and agree with that. I am considering BLT, BWV, BCV, and VWL. I am leaning toward BWV or BCV, but am not entirely sold since I have never even seen that area.
We only stayed at WL, AKL, and POP, before we decided that we'd take the plunge and buy a resale contract. We had never seen the inside of a DVC hotel or DVC room. I did all my looking online. I talked to a friend via email who is a DVC member. I found out about the studios having no king beds only 1 queen and 1 sofa bed, and OKW has 2 queen beds. I never spoke to a DVC sales person. I originally had thought that booking required $95 fee per time, but I was completely mistaken and really confused about it all. After I asked my friend about it, she said that's only if you were booking a cruise. And that when booking rooms, it doesn't cost anything. That pretty much quashed all my hesitation, and I figured it was definitely a good idea, and will save us a lot of money in the long run.

I chose SSR because of the lower MF and the longer contract expiry date.
This was the main deciding factors. The way we vacation is in short stays, we don't plan on doing longer than 2-3 days tops. So the 7 month and 11 month window didn't really cause any difficulty for us, it's definitely harder to get longer stays at one resort. Our vacation dates are also flexible, so that wasn't a concern.

If I was to buy another contract, I would probably buy an AKL contract, maybe OKW, my DH might prefer a BCV or BWV, but he also loves OKW.

We've been very happy, thrilled even, with our DVC experience thus far. It's probably the best thing we've ever bought ourselves. It would be awesome if they had some king beds available, I'll keep dreaming I guess. The next best thing is OKW.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
bisney
Earning My Ears

We stayed onsite at a moderate but after taking a tour of SSR (and the model AKV suite) and the BWV suite, my wife and I were sold on the idea of staying in deluxe. After returning home (and resisting the aggressive sales pitch from the DVC salesperson) we researched resales and talked to a couple of co-workers who are DVC members. We read through many of the threads and utilized the search function on the Disboards to learn about use years, waitlists, etc.

With a 2 year old and another on the way, we figured that our family vacations for the next 15 years would primarily be in Florida and if we were going to Florida, we wanted to go to Disney. After the kids grew up, we liked that we could go to Hawaii or other locations like Vero Beach and Hilton Head (and with the rate of expansion, who knows where else Disney could build another DVC location?). Once the kids were grown and potentially have kids of their own, we love the fact that we could treat them to magical vacations and big family trips. Thus, the expiry date of 2042 vs 2054 or 2060 was a factor for us.

With all that said, it still had to make some sense financially. There are threads that explore the breakeven points, etc of DVC. IMO, the most important question for us was do we see ourselves going to WDW year after year? Numbers wise, yes we could "break even" after X number of years but that means nothing if we are taking unnecessary trips to Disney that we otherwise would not have... or in other words, DVC locked us into future vacations that we may have chosen differently if not for owning DVC. For us, we couldn't imagine going anywhere else on family vacations.

Then it came down to figuring out which resort to target, the number of points and the ideal use year. Even hearing about "addonitis", I wanted to buy a smallish block of points (150) which allowed us to go 2 times every 3 years in case there were times that 1) we didn't want to go to Disney or 2) we couldn't make it out to Disney. Yes, you can rent out your points but I wanted to keep our initial outlay minimal for now and keep things as simple as possible.

For us, choosing a resort was somewhat difficult. My wife really wanted to stay at AKV when we took our vacation (our son LOVES animals) but booking cash was crazy expensive. So when we found out AKV was an option, she wanted to buy there. You will read "buy where you want to stay" alot on these threads and that is 100% legitimate advice for the 11 month booking advantage. Some people love F&W therefore owning at BWV or BCV is a must. Some people love staying at VWL at Christmas. Some people love the low points required to stay in the value rooms at AKV or the standard view rooms at BWV. To each their own. However, for us with a young family and understanding that our preferences will change over time, there was no one resort that we felt that we had to buy into to.

I figure that our first 10 years will be booked primarily at AKV. But when the kids are older, maybe they would want to stay at SSR for DTD or BCV for the pool. Or maybe after that, we would want to stay at BWV since we enjoy Epcot and the area is just lovely to walk through. Etc, etc, etc. So our approach changed to "buy at the most economical place where we wouldn't mind staying" so that if booking at our 7 month window and the waitlists didn't work, we would be happy to stay at our home resort.

After looking at a combination of the expiry date, initial price per point and MFs, we felt that SSR was the best overall value. If the 7 month window doesn't work out for us, then we would be more than happy to stay at SSR.
We loved the feel of SSR when we took our tour... I love the laid back atmosphere, it just felt so much more relaxing compared to the craziness of the parks and having DTD closeby for adult entertainment was a big plus.

I personally enjoy seeing different things and am therefore looking forward to trying different resorts. IF there is ONE resort that we have to stay in year after year, adding another small contract of ~100-150 points at that resort in addition to our current 150 point SSR contract could be a viable option. Whereas if we bought a 300 point contract at the start, adding on another 100-150 points in the future would be much more daunting.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. In short, only you can determine what makes sense for you. We bought into DVC without having stayed at one and are looking forward to many happy years of family vacations.
bisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
kkolbusz1
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We've been going to Disney and decided it's really the only place we want to travel. tried a RC cruise for our 1 yr anniversary 10 yrs ago & were mad when we got back that we didn't go to Disney. I've been going there since I was 2. We haven't stayed at any of the DVC resorts, always moderate, then when we had kids, value. We wanted to buy into the dvc for years & saved up. My sister bought in years ago & we figured out the math, decided it was a good choice & decided to buy! We purchased SSR because the dues were lower that most and because it expires in 2054. We also travel at less popular times and could switch around if needed as we'd like to try all locations.
kkolbusz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Fan of Figment
Couldn't imagine life without WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
We bought our points SSR and OKW points without ever being to the resorts or seeing a room model. We'd been to WDW many times though and figured they'd be at least as good as a moderate room.
Same for us. We go often and always will so I always knew I would buy in at some point, it was just a matter of when. I bought in at SSR with only seeing pictures online and going passed it on the POR boat ride. I loved the way it looked, was the most affordable, so that's what we went with.

I do plan on checking out all the other resorts as we go though, so if we ever add on we can decide which we'd prefer most.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: