DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
geraghty
Mouseketeer

I'll repeat pp. Start small and add on when you can afford and/or need to. It is easier to add points than sell points you don't need.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

The way we figured it out was to first, figure out when and how many times you want to travel to Disney in a year. Next, figure out what kind of accomodations you want to stay in while you're there. Then add up those points and we bought roughly that amount of points.

And of course, now we want more. We estimated everything on the low end. Staying in a studio, traveling at the lowest crowd time of year. So eventually I know we'll want to go more often, and we'll have to bump up to a 2 bedroom as well because my kids can't sleep on that little pull out sofa forever. LOL

However, now with that being said, I agree to start off small, because you can always add. I personally think that 100 points per resort is a good amount. We have 200 points at BCV right now, but eventually I'd like to add 100ish at BLT. Then maybe another 100ish at BWV or VWL. Others might rather have 25 to 50 at a certain resort. Again depends on what you want to use it for.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We started with enough points to go once every three years for 12 to 14 nights in a 2 bedroom and added on to be able to go every other year. so we can choose to stick with 1 in 3 and go for longer or go every other year if flight prices allow.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
agame2323
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMountain77 View Post
I have 150 points at Animal Kingdom Villas and have been able to visit 2 weeks a year, in either a standard or value studio. For me, this has worked out very well.
This is simular to what we are looking to do. If you don't mind me asking... Did you buy direct or through a re-seller?
agame2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by agame2323 View Post
This is simular to what we are looking to do. If you don't mind me asking... Did you buy direct or through a re-seller?
I bought direct because of the restrictions placed on resale contracts. For me, I wanted to be able to use my points to occasionally make reservations at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel at the Disneyland Resort.

Others on this board will disagree, but, for me, it was the right decision.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

We are thinking of 150-200 pts. we want to stay in a 1 bedroom every year for a week. That should get us a few years then we hopefully will get a second contract for the same amount at another resort.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
Sheri in CT
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I have a question (sorry for the barge). I need about 300 points and would like to stay at OKW, SS and Beach Club. Should I get a small amount at BC and SS and the rest at OKW since they seem less expensive? Will this allow me to book a full week at Beach Club 11 months in advance?
Sheri in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri in CT View Post
I have a question (sorry for the barge). I need about 300 points and would like to stay at OKW, SS and Beach Club. Should I get a small amount at BC and SS and the rest at OKW since they seem less expensive? Will this allow me to book a full week at Beach Club 11 months in advance?
Do you really think the Disney would let you get away with that?

You can only use the BCV points at BCV at 11 months.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Sheri in CT
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Do you really think the Disney would let you get away with that?

You can only use the BCV points at BCV at 11 months.

Bill
Thank for the reply. Then is there really a benefit to owning at different locations? I read some posts about people doing that.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank for the reply. Then is there really a benefit to owning at different locations? I read some posts about people doing that.
Sure, there are lots of benefits. For any home resort you own you get the chance to reserve (subject to availability) without competition from non owners there. You also get to chose a resort that may cost less up front on yearly.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
disneynutz

Quote:
One of Disney's businesses is making money selling timeshares. Of course they would come up with a program to get you to buy at more than one resort if you want a better chance of getting the resort and room type that you want, when you want it.

We are those types of people so we own at 5 resorts.

Bill

Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
Sheri in CT
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
One of Disney's businesses is making money selling timeshares. Of course they would come up with a program to get you to buy at more than one resort if you want a better chance of getting the resort and room type that you want, when you want it.

We are those types of people so we own at 5 resorts.

Bill
I think I am still confused? Let's say I have 150 for OKW and 150 for BC. If my trip at BC will cost 300 points, can I book the trip at 11 months or do I have to wait until 7 months b/c I will be using some OKW points for the trip?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I am still confused? Let's say I have 150 for OKW and 150 for BC. If my trip at BC will cost 300 points, can I book the trip at 11 months or do I have to wait until 7 months b/c I will be using some OKW points for the trip?
To use all points together you'd have to wait until 7 months out. What many do is book at OKW for part of the trip and BC at the rest using your example then try to get their preference at 7 months out.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
disneynutz

Quote:
You can only use 150 BCV points at BCV booking at 11 months out. You can combine all of your points from all resorts that you own to book at 7 months out. That makes you buy more BCV points to book a 300 point vacation at 11 months.

Don't forget, you can borrow 150 BCV points from your next UY to have a total of 300 BCV points but then you don't have any for next year.

Bill

Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #30
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To expand on the above posts, what some will do is use banking and borrowing to stay at each of their home resorts every other year. Using your example, you could borrow 150 BCV points from next UY into this UY and have 300 points to book a stay at BCV at the 11 month mark this UY. Your 150 OKW points could be banked into the next UY so you have 300 OKW points to use for next year's trip. Then you repeat. This way you get 300 points to use at the 11 month mark.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: