DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
I think you are and are in agreement.

To clarify my point, I agree Disney executives will use standard finance and business equations to help make decisions but since their ultimate "product" is happiness, they need to take into account the human factor in these equations. Simplistically, more happiness = more profits. This is one of the reasons Disney conducts surveys like no other; Disney's business decisions need to include "happiness" in the equation. Thus, when WDW lets an attraction like Splash Mountain fall apart for years before finally fixing it, it's because they know through surveys that more guests would rather ride a "broken" Splash Mountain than no Splash Mountain, and not enough guests notice the difference to make it worth investing in a third shift to make overnight repairs.

DVD is no different. If they decide to add restrictions, they will be sure to factor in the human element.

Heck, Disney created a firestorm by announcing "Starbuck's is replacing the Main Street Bakery" which only was quelled when Disney changed the message to "the Main Street Bakery will be serving Starbuck's coffee". Disney knows it's all about image and, regardless of business degree, they need to maintain the image as "the place where dreams come true".

If they can get away with cutting corners and most DVC members won't complain, they'll do it. But they also want to avoid incidents like the recent Starbuck's fiasco. It's all about the message they send to their "guests" along with a little pixiedust.
I suspect we mostly agree on this however, I think there is a point to make on the opposite side. Historically DVC has been so averse to upsetting members that they've failed (IMO) to uphold their responsibilities. For example, they should have done a reallocation in 2000 or 2001 and delayed it almost 10 years longer than they should. However, the last few years they've clearly taken a different approach and made decisions somewhat independent of the complaints they knew they'd get. Take the reallocations, valet parking, book a week at the time all of which predictably caused an uproar. On a smaller scale the way some of the issues were handled when members had to be moved from AKV (twice) and BWV left a lot to be desired. With the valet they gave zero warning to the point where some arrived with free valet and left having an unexpected bill.

Points are that they care about DVD and Disney more than the members even to the point of skirting their legal responsibilities at times, they have become callused to complaints (likely appropriately so) and they don't always seem to think things through even when they could/should have. IMO they have become complacent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: