DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #211
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Assuming you bought resale and have been paying rack rates, this is a definite possibility. As with any analysis, though, it's important that the numbers are honest and you are comparing apples to apples. If your old vacations were ten days but you only have enough points to stay for seven, or in a different sized room, then the numbers are skewed. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I am naturally skeptical of analyses that have such short break even time frames.
Our contract was a resale, and it came with one year of extra points, it had all of the 2011 points still available for use. We used them up and got 13 nights out of it, including 3 nights at club level at AKL, theme park view at BLT, Boardwalk Views 2 nights, etc. So, right off the bat we got a huge benefit up front.

Even with 40% discount codes for FL AP holders WL and AKL was costing us about $225 OOP per night. So, if I strictly go by the $225 a night for deluxe (heavily discounted price) for 13 nights, I still come out breaking even at 4.27 years. By getting DVC, a 15 pt. deluxe studio would be costing us $95.10 a night. A 10 pt. deluxe studio would be costing us $63.40 a night. Pretty good savings!
I do believe that my numbers, with a 4 year recoup time, is an honest analysis for our situation.

With our contract we have enough points to actually stretch to 21 nights (theoretically if booking 9 pt Jambo value studios), which would greatly increase the speed at which we recoup our original expense, but it wouldn't be right to base my calculation on what we theoretically can do, because we don't vacation that way, I believe if I did do it that way it would break even at 2.6 years! Crazy, isn't it? But not going to happen.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #212
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I have to be honest, I didn't do all this Math crunching before I bought into DVC. I knew I had kids of an age where we're going to go to Disney at least every other year. I had $$$ to burn that time, and instead of buying another camera, a car or another lens - I decided to put my money on DVC.

However, since then - I did keep track of how much $ we've spent on our vacations with DVC vs $ we would have spent without DVC. At the time we book our trip, I also grab the rate of the rooms I book from WDW or rental rates if they're not yet available.

So my spreadsheet is not a "forecast", these are actual #s of $ we've saved. So far, the $ I would have already spent on the vacations we took from 2011 thru 2013 is already 83% of my original purchase price. My MFs are a wash since I rented some of my points. The rest will be recouped in 2 years tops. It's at 94% after our Springbreak 2014 trip.

If we rented, it would have been 50%. But we could never be renters though, can't commit to a date that far in advance without possibilities of cancelling. I've modified my dates and resorts many many times after booking. Our trips normally become solid once we have airfares booked.

This doesn't even account for the other "perks". If we include the savings from the PAP for a family of 5 ~$1500 and we'd have broken even by next year. And this is a retail purchase. How much more if we bought a resort other than BLT from resale?

So to answer the OP, at least for us - it took 4 years, 23 nights at various resorts, a free cruise on the Dream and discounted PAPs for 5 to recoup our original purchase price.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Last edited by myxdvz; 05-05-2013 at 06:30 PM.
myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #213
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post

This doesn't even account for the other "perks". If we include the savings from the PAP for a family of 5 ~$1500 and we'd have broken even by next year.
Good point. We saved $800 on our PAPs, we purchased them for 2012-2013, and vouchers for 2013-2014. I didn't include that in my estimate of our break even point.

We might not have even purchased the Premium Annual Passes at the $595 FL resident price, but we were already buying Annual Passes every year, so when we had the chance to upgrade for basically $30 for both of us, we did, and got a vouchers for our renewal this year. The timing was perfect for us when they ran the Q4 $399 PAP special.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: