DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Assuming you bought resale and have been paying rack rates, this is a definite possibility. As with any analysis, though, it's important that the numbers are honest and you are comparing apples to apples. If your old vacations were ten days but you only have enough points to stay for seven, or in a different sized room, then the numbers are skewed. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I am naturally skeptical of analyses that have such short break even time frames.
Our contract was a resale, and it came with one year of extra points, it had all of the 2011 points still available for use. We used them up and got 13 nights out of it, including 3 nights at club level at AKL, theme park view at BLT, Boardwalk Views 2 nights, etc. So, right off the bat we got a huge benefit up front.

Even with 40% discount codes for FL AP holders WL and AKL was costing us about $225 OOP per night. So, if I strictly go by the $225 a night for deluxe (heavily discounted price) for 13 nights, I still come out breaking even at 4.27 years. By getting DVC, a 15 pt. deluxe studio would be costing us $95.10 a night. A 10 pt. deluxe studio would be costing us $63.40 a night. Pretty good savings!
I do believe that my numbers, with a 4 year recoup time, is an honest analysis for our situation.

With our contract we have enough points to actually stretch to 21 nights (theoretically if booking 9 pt Jambo value studios), which would greatly increase the speed at which we recoup our original expense, but it wouldn't be right to base my calculation on what we theoretically can do, because we don't vacation that way, I believe if I did do it that way it would break even at 2.6 years! Crazy, isn't it? But not going to happen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: