DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Resales through Disney or Somewhere else?

Can anyone cite the main differences between buying a resale through Disney and buying a resale from somewhere else?

I've "heard" that you can't us resale points on DCL. I've also heard you can't use resale points at othe RCI locations. Is this really the case, and what are the other differences?

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

Current Resale Restrictions:
Quote:
Effective March 21, 2011, Members who do not purchase their Ownership Interests directly from Disney will not be able to use those vacation points to make reservations for the Concierge or Disney Collections. Those vacation points can be used only for Disney Vacation Club Resorts and the World Passport Collection.
World Passport Collection = RCI, Club Intrawest & Club Cordial.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Oh, so they are good for other RCI places just not the Disney Adventures then.

What about the DCL? Is there any information on that?

Thank you by the way.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post

Thank you by the way.
DCL is part of the Disney Collection.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You cannot use points purchased on the resale market for DCL. You also cannot book the DVC Members cruise (even for cash) if your only points are resale points purchased after the date when the rules were changed.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Can anyone cite the main differences between buying a resale through Disney and buying a resale from somewhere else?
just a clarification: you can buy a DVC contract "directly" from disney, even at a so-called "sold-out" resort, but it's not a "resale." it's still a direct purchase.

a "resale" contract is a DVC contract that you buy from someone besides disney.

and if you look at the point charts for the disney cruise and hotel trades, the point costs are very high. it's not a valuable option. (but if you've got the money and want it bad enough, knock yourself out.)

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post

just a clarification: you can buy a DVC contract "directly" from disney, even at a so-called "sold-out" resort, but it's not a "resale." it's still a direct purchase.

a "resale" contract is a DVC contract that you buy from someone besides disney.

and if you look at the point charts for the disney cruise and hotel trades, the point costs are very high. it's not a valuable option. (but if you've got the money and want it bad enough, knock yourself out.)
Thanks. I used the term resale I guess so people would know I was not referring to buying new with Disney at top dollar. Yes you're buying direct from Disney but technically you're buying someone else's contract. I liken it to buying a house through a realtor vs without one. I agree it's not a valuable option to use for a cruise, but again, I'm just trying to find out the differences.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Whether at a new resort or an older sold out resort if you buy direct from Disney you are paying top dollar.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"

I don't get it

Quote:
Thanks. I used the term resale I guess so people would know I was not referring to buying new with Disney at top dollar. Yes you're buying direct from Disney but technically you're buying someone else's contract. I liken it to buying a house through a realtor vs without one. I agree it's not a valuable option to use for a cruise, but again, I'm just trying to find out the differences.
I don't think of it that way.

If my friend had a contract and I want to buy it, and we do it ourselves ( with the help of a lawyer to prepare the paperwork), we submit it to Disney for ROFR, Disney passes, etc., that would be like buying a house without a realtor.

If someone calls the Timeshare Store, says they want to sell their contract, the TimeShare Store lists it, I called the TimeShare Store and say I want to buy it, and the TimeShare Store does the work (with the help of a Title Company), that would be like buying a house with a realtor.

If seller has a large contract, uses the TimeShare Store, and Disney ROFRs the contract, or if Disney gets a contract through foreclosure because the owner doesn't make his payments, Disney can then break the contract up into smaller contracts with the same use year. I call Disney and say I want to add on 25 points at that resort. Disney sells me the contract. Somebody else calls Disney and says they want to add on 30 points at that resort. Disney sells them the contract. Somebody else calls Disney and says they are new to DVC and they want to buy 200 points at that resort. Disney sells them the contract. This guy is buying "new from Disney at top dollar" even if it's a resort which is technically sold out (BCV, BWV, etc.). None of us are getting a contract which is equal to what seller had. So I don't think this fits into the "buying a house through a realtor vs without one" analogy.

Best Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Holy crap. Ok, however you guys want to look at it or whatever you want to call it. Semantics, IMO. Sorry you don't like my analogy. Again, by "top dollar", I mean we didn't pay $145 per point or whatever they are selling Aulani and AKV for "new". We didn't "add on" points. We walked into Disney, sat down with a guide, and she sold us points at BCV. Did we pay more than someone who bought a resale through a friend or The Timeshare Store? Yes, I'm sure we did. But we didn't pay $145 per point either. Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't ask to be schooled in timeshare lingo or get a vocabulary lesson. All I asked for were the differences in how you're allowed to use the points, and at this point, I'm really sorry I did.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

That's not the case; when you buy from DVC, you're not getting someone else's contract. When DVC gets a contract back, through foreclosure or ROFR, the contract is dissolved and the points go back into the pool. Timeshare sales really aren't comparable to home purchases in that way.

When you buy from DVC, it's always considered a direct purchase, and there are no restrictions on the use of the points. And it's always top dollar, no matter which resort you buy.

When you buy from any party other than DVC, whether it's a broker like The Timeshare Store or directly from an owner, it's always considered a resale purchase, you are getting someone else's contract, and the restrictions on the use of the points apply.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Holy crap. Ok, however you guys want to look at it or whatever you want to call it. Semantics, IMO. Sorry you don't like my analogy. Again, by "top dollar", I mean we didn't pay $145 per point or whatever they are selling Aulani and AKV for "new". We didn't "add on" points. We walked into Disney, sat down with a guide, and she sold us points at BCV. Did we pay more than someone who bought a resale through a friend or The Timeshare Store? Yes, I'm sure we did. But we didn't pay $145 per point either. Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't ask to be schooled in timeshare lingo or get a vocabulary lesson. All I asked for were the differences in how you're allowed to use the points, and at this point, I'm really sorry I did.
You didn't get a lesson in semantics, the original question didn't make sense because of the terminology you used so people asked for clarification of what you meant. No real need to be rude. In fact it is now clear you didn't buy resale you bought direct from Disney so there is no real difference between the points you bought and those Disney are selling at AKV and Aulani other than they expire earlier. There is no real need to be defensive about having bought direct from Disney. If all direct buyers disappeared there would be no new DVC development. People were no attacking you for buying from Disney but simply trying to get an understanding of what you were comparing to what in your question. For the record my first points were also bought direct from Disney.

Last edited by Minniesgal; 05-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think anyone was trying to "school" you on timeshare lingo, but simply let you know that all purchases from a Disney guide are considered to be direct purchases. Your question was confusing because you referred to your purchase as resale, which is going to be interpreted as buying from someone other than Disney, and that completely changes the answer to your simple question. Direct pricing varies from resort to resort, however you will get the same benefits buying BCV directly from Disney as you would buying a brand new resort from Disney at a higher price.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I've "heard" that you can't us resale points on DCL. I've also heard you can't use resale points at othe RCI locations. Is this really the case, and what are the other differences?
Since you bought your points directly from Disney (resort doesn't matter), there are no restrictions on their use. You may use them for any option in the Disney Collection, the Adventurer's Collection, the Concierge Collection or the World Passport Collection. Those collections of options include cruising on the Disney Cruise Line. All options are subject to availability and booking windows.

Points purchased after March 20, 2011 from any seller other than Disney are subject to the restrictions on use.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you by the way.
You've confused me a little so rather than try to fit in with the other posts, I'll just start over because I get the impression you were thinking differently and some of the posts seemed confusing to me. Basically all members have access to the DVC-RCI subset and the Buena Vista Trading company (BVTC) as well as DVC resorts. Unqualified resale points don't have access to the Disney Collection (other Disney hotels or DCL), ABD, or the Concierge Collection. There may (likely will) be other resale restrictions later and resale buyers now will likely not be protected (grandfathered) from any negative changes going forward.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: