Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

The only problem with LA traffic is that it can get very very congested and the travel times take way too long to get from one point to another. We got stuck in Hollywood one afternoon and didn't make it back to Disneyland for several hours. Just know not to get out during the main rush hours. I would say 3pm is the latest you should head back and that might be too late.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite12 View Post
Driving in Memphis, Tn is way worse! We didn't think driving LA area was bad at all
That is surprising! I drive in Memphis every year and although I have been in the rush hour, I didn't think it compared to LA traffic. You were lucky if you didn't run into some severe gridlock.

Last edited by Danibelle; 03-10-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Huff
DIS Veteran

Problem I have driving LA freeways is the lack of courtesy from other drivers. Need to change lanes so you turn on your blinker? That seems to tell the driver behind and in lane next to you to speed up and close the gap blocking you from changing lanes. Its just that sort of me first, out of my way that gets to me. Many big cities are like that so its not just LA.

We've gotten used to it and adjust so do just fine. Congestion is the bigger issue. Rush hour in LA can be horribly slow. Its not just rush hour though. I've driven I-5 from SD to LA on a Sunday at 2am and its bumper to bumper the whole way. Hard to predict traffic at times but generally things are fine outside of rush hour.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
Growing up in Chicago - I don't find driving in LA that different -
I would agree with that. Some times the congestion is what is insane, but no different than I have experienced here in Chicago.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

Does the carpool lane help any during the morning? Trying to figure how early to leave from Anaheim to Hollywood for our WB studio tour at noon in July haven't decided if weekday or a Sunday any suggestions?

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

I've driven in SF and SF doesn't compare to LA. Just keep in mind that in LA, there's always a traffic jam somewhere either because of road work/construction or an accident. Many times, there will be traffic and there actually won't be for any reason. Keep in mind too that the busiest freeway in America is the 10 freeway in LA. It's simply just a lot of people in LA and everybody drives. CA is the car capital of the US and LA is specifically the car capital. Nobody uses public transportation unless you don't own a car.

With that said, there's nothing to be scared about. People do drive faster and tighter but as long as you go with the flow, you'll be good. Since you're not familiar with the roads and area, I would suggest to have your passengar mess with the GPS because if you drive slow in traffic, you may get some honks and some birdies. LA is not forgiving when it comes to slow drivers.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
hreshtag
Earning My Ears

I think LA has a bad rap, but it's somewhat unfounded. I've had people from other countries tell me what a pleasure it is to drive in LA (true) and I've been to other countries (including Quebec), where road rage is about 9000 times worse than LA. I have no problems driving here. The actual driving, in my opinion, is not necessarily the issue. It's just the traffic. But LA is FAMOUS for traffic. It doesn't mean there isn't any traffic other places, it just means we're famous. You'll do absolutely fine, I promise. I personally do get ticked off at some drivers sometimes, but I find a LOT of courtesy on the road as well. Truly. I know the original post was old, but since you mentioned you're going in the summer, thought it was still relevant to post. :D
hreshtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your replies. We are still a couple of months away from our trip, so I'm still reading everyone's input!
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen22 View Post
Does the carpool lane help any during the morning? Trying to figure how early to leave from Anaheim to Hollywood for our WB studio tour at noon in July haven't decided if weekday or a Sunday any suggestions?
The only issue I have with Southern California carpool lanes as an unfamiliar driver is that they're mostly double-white or dual double-yellow lines where it's a violation to go in or out. The entry and exit points are limited to every few miles where there are designated points to enter/exit. If you're familiar with the road, you'll know where to enter and exit. If you're new, you have no idea.

Of course that doesn't stop people from using them as passing lanes or just randomly exiting or entering.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

You ever see that movie Deathrace 2000, with the machine gun mounted cars?

It's about half as bad.

Southern CA drivers and no better/worse than any other driver in any other state.

The roads are very clearly marked as well.

However, all this goes out the window once there is 1/1000 of an inch of water on the road - then it's everyone for themselves.

Enjoy your trip. You'll do fine.

But I'm actually serious about the water on the road. It's like the end of the world carpocolypse or something...
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrkins View Post
Southern CA drivers and no better/worse than any other driver in any other state.
Well, except Chicagoland in northeastern Illinois. Here, drivers take off the second (or sooner) that the light turns green, and it is accepted that the last group of cars approaching a light about to turn red will run the red light. Pedestrians in Chicago always wait a little extra beat before crossing because of this. SoCal drivers kind of do the opposite. They pause a beat before proceeding when the light turns green, and I've never seen red light-running on any of my trips to DLR.

The traffic, though, is similar to here. Often there is no discernible peak direction during rush hour on our expressways--it can be jammed in both directions, or in directions you weren't expecting to be jammed. That's kind of the way it is (only uniformly that way) in the L.A. area.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR/WDW (We'll see which one!) Sep 2014 TBD | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Well, except Chicagoland in northeastern Illinois. Here, drivers take off the second (or sooner) that the light turns green, and it is accepted that the last group of cars approaching a light about to turn red will run the red light. Pedestrians in Chicago always wait a little extra beat before crossing because of this. SoCal drivers kind of do the opposite. They pause a beat before proceeding when the light turns green, and I've never seen red light-running on any of my trips to DLR.
Well we do slow down before running red lights and stop signs - called the "California Stop."

I guess the OP should know that during rush hour in LA it pays to be a tad aggressive when changing lanes on the freeway - we don't slow down to let people merge, so you'll just need to take the opening when it shows itself. Of course, when you do merge we lean on the horn and give you the finger like you cut us off. But the horn is just saying "howdy" and the finger just means we like you.
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: