Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thanks!
Sorry about the odd sizes of the pics. Can't seem to get to grips with photobucket for this TR!
If anyone reading has any advice on the best way to size them please shout up
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda!
Thanks for the heads up and hint to your link. I need to go back and read tomorrow, it's getting late here. But at least I am now subscribed and won't miss anything!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #18
Linda67

Day 2 - DCA - Friday 12th April 2013

As I was staying at the Disneyland Hotel, today was my early entry day at DCA

Normal park opening was at 9am with EE at 8am – much more sociable than the 7am EE mornings I had experienced in October!

I made myself a coffee in the room before walking though DTD and arriving at the bag check area at around 7:20am

Bag check wasn’t open yet and there were only about 10 other people hanging around when I first arrived. I think it must have been around 7:30am when they started letting people in

Once through bag check I positioned myself right at the front of one of the middle turnstiles

By the time the 8am opening time arrived there were a significant amount of people standing in the entrance plaza so I was glad I had arrived early

No guesses where everyone was heading first!

Thanks to the wonderful tips on this board I adopted the wide-right position, just as I had done in October last year and apart from having the backs on my heels trodden on a few times it was a simple stroll down Route 66 behind the magic hose pipe!

Again, just as in 2012 I was in the first car of the day

Now this is good in some ways but not so in others as you end up racing an empty car which is nowhere near as much fun shouting “you’re going downnnnn!” to you rivals at the start line!

Never fear, this is where the single rider comes into play - as soon as I exited the attraction I hot footed it round to the SR line and literally walked right on to another car – this time with a car load of competitors (yay us for winning the race!)

I took these shots later in the day when walking back through from the Paradise Pier area

Next up I headed over to Paradise Pier (must have only been around 8:30am) and walked straight on to Toy Story Mania. Now I know I am in the minority here but I’m not a huge fan of this attraction, I never have been and neither is DH but we always get caught up in the hype at WDW and ride it every trip

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad ride by any means, I just don’t think it’s Disney’s finest – oh that and I am completely terrible at it

Once the feeling in my right arm had returned (repetitive strain injury anyone? ) I headed over to California Screaming

No need for single rider here as the park was still not officially open and it was a walk on

I love this coaster, you get all the fun and thrills but it is super smooth

So all in all a very successful EE hour

I then spotted Donald Duck was just coming out for a meet and greet, he looked very dapper in his sailor suit so I got a quick PP picture whilst deciding what to do next (I have to try and remember to update photos when I get my PP back)

Ahh, how about Mickey’s Fun Wheel?

I hadn’t done this before and as it was now 9am it had just sprung into life (or span into life) with no line

“Spinning or non-spinning” ….. Mmm, spinning might be fun?, but I think I’ll go non spinning as I want to get some photos

Well thank heavens I did!

A bit of background here – I am not remotely scared of heights, I’ve never had a problem but for some reason, sitting in that little cage (or cell as it shall now be known) completely freaked me out

Perhaps it was because I was on my own?, perhaps it’s because I sat so I was going backwards and was too terrified to stand up and move? Who knows, but I was soooo happy to arrive back at the loading station ……… mmm nope, you aren’t escaping yet, it’s going round again

Give me Tower Of Terror any day, much more civilised

I did snap like two photos – this is the only carmera shake free shot

Get me off of this thing NOW!

Right, I needed to recompose myself and I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet so I retreated to the perfect calm of the Grand Californian and headed to White Water Snacks

I grabbed a much needed coffee and some really yummy oatmeal, the blueberries in this were delicious

It was lovely to sit at one of the outside tables, it was a beautiful day and it felt a million miles away for DCA – very peaceful

I called DH and had a nice chat and then headed back into the park

In my newly relaxed state I decided to take a look at the Wilderness Explorers Trail as I didn’t get to see it on my last trip. What a fabulous part of the park!

Even if you don’t have kids with you, it would be an excellent spot to spend some time to relax

There was a little show starting in 5 so I though why not? – the kids in the audience took taking the Wilderness Explorer Oath so seriously, very cute

Next I decided to head over and ride Soarin’

Again I used the single rider line and only waited around 5 minutes before I was boarding my flight across CA (front row so no dangling feet!)

My plan was then to head over to ToT but on the way I couldn’t help but spot that there was hardly any line for the RSR fast pass machines at the entrance to Bug’s Land

I think he must have been waiting in line for a FP since park opening!

I was surprised to see that FPs were still available (it was around 10:15am) so I hopped in the tiny line which never stopped moving, to see what the return times were as the display outside the lines that usually displays the return times didn’t seem to be working

When I got to the front of the line I asked what the return times were and the CM said that they were for around 5:30pm which was too early for me so the CM invited me to just wait over to the side and he would let me know when the return time I wanted kicked in (there were a few people doing this) As soon as a 6:50 return time kicked in he called me over, I only waited over to the side for about 10 mins so it worked out perfectly

Sunset was at 7:20 and I wanted to ride in the dark so planned to enter the line just before the FP window closed and after the neon lighting in Cars Land

I’d originally intended to use the SR line in the evening but with such a small wait for a FP, I thought ‘why not?’

I then added over to ToT – awesome

Then I strolled over to ride Monsters Inc - love it!!

What a great ride. It just kind of passed me by on my first trip. I did ride it last time but I was rushing around so much trying to fit everything in that my mind was probably already on whatever was my next ride. This was a much more relaxing trip

And yes, I could smell the ginger in the sushi part of the ride!

Next I indulged in a little retail therapy along Buena Vista Street and grabbed a Frappucino from the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafť.

You can use your starbucks card in here

I wonder if that will be the case at the Main St Bakery in WDW?

Signing off for now .... apparently I need to do some work

Coming up next – Lunch At Wine Country Tratoria – World Of Color Package

Last edited by Linda67; 04-26-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Hi Linda!
Thanks for the heads up and hint to your link. I need to go back and read tomorrow, it's getting late here. But at least I am now subscribed and won't miss anything!
Thanks for reading Karin and enjoy Paris!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Linda67

Friday 12th April - DCA - Part Two

Hi everyone

Hope you are enjoying your weekends

When I last left off I was about to head over to the Wine Country Trattoria for my 2:30pm lunch reservation

Id booked the WoC lunch package, mainly as a way of getting a good spot for the show but the menu and location also looked really good to me

I checked in at around 2:20pm and I was starving!

I was seated pretty much straight away at a lovely little tucked away table on the outdoor patio

There is a set menu if you are dining here under a WoC package, so its worth checking the menus out in advance to make sure that there is something that appeals to you as its a fairly limited menu

My server soon introduced himself and brought me some much needed iced water and a bread basket

The bread was served with oil and vinegar and was absolutely delicious. I really had to exercise my will power to not scoff the lot!

There was only one vegetarian option so it was a quick and easy choice for me.

To begin I ordered the salad

Salad - Arugula, Fennel, Red Onion, Spiced Walnuts, and Goat cheese (with a Fig-Balsamic dressing)

Oh my word this was amazing! - I really wished I has asked for the salad dressing recipe as it was heavenly

For my entree I chose the vegetarian pasta dish

Broccolini Aglio Olio - Campanelle Pasta lightly tossed with Spinach, Arugula, Tomatoes, Garlic, Chili Flakes, and Olive Oil

Again, another excellent dish. Wonderful fresh flavors with a little kick from the chili flakes

All this was accompanied by a glass of delicious Honig Vineyards, Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley

Sauvignon Blanc

Now, the usual dessert offered with the fixed menu is a selection that includes mini versions of Tiramisu,European Macaroons,Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Fresh Fruit and a Chocolate Caramel Espresso Tart. One or more of these items contained gelatin so I was offered an alternative of either gelato or sorbet; I chose the sorbet

Rasberry & Lemon Sorbet

One was lemon and one was raspberry and let me tell you, they were both incredible!

I couldnt possibly chose a favorite, they both has such an intense fruity flavor, one was more lemony than a lemon and they other was more berry-licious than a raspberry if that makes sense!

As much as I adored them both, I just couldnt finish them, the portions were HUGE

I really enjoyed my lunch here and the WoC preferred viewing pass was an awesome bonus

After lunch, I waddled back to the hotel, where I promptly fell asleep on a sun lounger next to the pool - so much for reading for a little while. The weather was beautiful today, it was probably the best of the trip (it turned a little cooler after that) and it was really nice to just spend some time relaxing and exploring the hotel a little

After I had showered and changed I popped back in to my fave little bar and ordered another delightful drink

Shipwreck on the Rocks - Have too many of these and you'll be setting a course for Davy Jones' Locker!(-- Bourbon with Freshly Muddled Lemon and Mint with Organic Agave Nectar.

Sorry for the tiny iPhone picture

Mmm - delicious!

With a newly found spring in my step, I headed back to DCA via the Grand Californian entrance and headed over to Cars Land for some photopass pictures and to watch the little neon lighting show.

I dont think most people pay much attention to it and its just a short little diversion really, but I love it!

I watched from the bottom of Route 66 instead of the top where I had stood last time

Sunset was around 7:20pm so the lighting took place just after that. I picked up a cute little T shirt from the store right by the entrance to RSR.

It must have been around 7:45pm when I hopped in the FP return line for RSR and I probably waited about 15 minutes before I was seated in a car - not too bad at all.

If you do get an opportunity to ride at night do it!

I really think that the ride is spectacular at night, the lighting on the rocks and around the waterfall is just beautiful - it seems to really bring the landscape to life and just adds to the whole experience

Out of the three rides I had taken today, this was by far my favorite

Just out of curiosity, when I exited the ride I checked with a CM what the wait time was for SR and it was around 50 mins I was so glad that I had picked up a FP earlier in the day

My FP for WoC was for the second show at 10:15pm and I was beginning to feel a little peckish but didnt want to eat a huge dinner.

I remembered reading about the Napa Rose Lounge and loved the look of the appetizer menu so I decided to pop over there.

I think its great how you can head out of the park and into this beautiful and relaxing hotel for a while

It was pretty busy in the lounge so that asked if I would mind sitting on the outdoor patio?, it was a beautiful evening and having been freezing for months in England I jumped at the chance!

Its a lovely little space out there and the fire-pit was burning away, I loved it

I ordered a small salad and a glass of wine

Beet Salad with Cara Cara Oranges, Endive and Mizuna, Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette and Honey Goat Cheese

So simple but oh so wonderful, I really want to come back and try the Napa Rose full menu now!

Pinot Noir

I was trying to find my receipt as I cant remember what this was, other than it was a Pinot Noir. It was very good though

After my impromptu dinner I headed back into the park and picked up a coffee from FF&P Cafe before walking over to Paradise Pier where they were just beginning to open up the viewing sections for the second show

I have to say that I thought that the WCT viewing area was even better than the Carthay Circle viewing area I stood in last year (although I understand that CC guests can ask to move further to the front, which is where our section was)

I got a spot right by the railing in the center, it was perfect

The show was simply breathtaking - but you all know that already right?

I loved every single second

What a great end to a great day

Coming Up Next .......... Disneyland and a DIS Meet!

Last edited by Linda67; 04-27-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
CrAzY4DL
Mommy, you magic-ed my heart!

Great tr so far. I'm super excited to see WoC for the first time next week, woot!

JylBean's Super Surprise almost 4 years old trip
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392268

DH & I private DL party
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3056896
CrAzY4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Joining in.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY4DL View Post
Great tr so far. I'm super excited to see WoC for the first time next week, woot!
Thanks for reading - WoC is just amazing. I was blown away the first time I saw it and loved it even more second time around
Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Joining in.
Thanks for stopping by and reading along
Old 04-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Just found your report and got caught up! Loving hearing about DLR from a tourist perspective again as you can do all the things (like eat at the delicious sit-down restaurants) that we haven't been really able to do since getting here. Sounds like a great trip so far!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Panchoís Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now WhatÖ? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda! So sorry for not paying attention at all and not joining until now!

All the food and fun has me sucked in!

Ohhhhhh a Dismeet - can't wait to see that!!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
Stew_Mouse
Mouseketeer

Linda, thrilled to read your trip report! I'm headed to DL for the first time in about 20 years and your perspective and experience on how you fell in live with it has me excited. Looking forward to reading the rest!
Stew_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR. RSR looks awesome, sadly I haven't made it over to DCA since they built it. Isn't WOC amazing? I love that show, second only to Fantasmic. Looking forward to the rest of your TR!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

My Dining Review Thread:Living in Disney means Food! My Fine Dining Adventure
LizzieinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #28
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda!

We are back and I am all caught up here. WoC looks amazing. (..and so does your food. )
Can't wait to read more!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
Linda67

Saturday April 13th

Sorry for neglecting this TR for a few days, work has been crazy busy but I will do my best to crack on and get this finished

Saturday April 13th

Today was an early entry day for hotel guests at Disneyland Park so after coffee in the room, I headed off through DTD to bag check

Again not too many people in line as bag check was yet to open, probably only two familiesí were waiting

Once through bag check it was still nearly 30 minutes to park opening but they started letting people in around 10 minutes early and then held everyone at the rope in front of the castle.

Once the park had officially opened I headed straight to Fantasyland and rode Peter Pan, quickly followed by Mr Toad (love this ride!) next up was Alice and I seem to remember that the Matterhorn was out of action this morning so I headed over to Tommorowland

Next up was Star Tours which I really enjoyed. We always ride this in WDW but I didnít ride on my last trip to CA.

After Star Tours I headed to Space Mountain which was sadly closed, and remained so for my whole trip

I think itís still closed even now??

There was still a little time before official park opening so I rode Buzz before heading back out onto Main St where I grabbed a coffee.

Pretty much as soon as I had started to enjoy my drink, I remembered that I hadnít had breakfast yet.

I was right next to Fantasy Faire and had remembered reading about Mauriceísí Treats so I headed there to pick up a snack

This was yummy, and a perfect breakfast treat. It was warm and fresh with just the right amount of strawberry filling

Now that the park was fully open I walked over to ride the Haunted Mansion and Pirates

The park was certainly quiet first thing and it was lovely to just explore for a while

Right, slight shopping diversion if you'll allow me

As many of you are probably aware there is often a coupon printed at the bottom of counter service receipts for a 20% discount off merchandise at certain locations, and only in the morning.

Iíd had my eye on a Dooney & Bourke bag before I had left for this trip and 20% off was certainly a decent saving, plus my wonderful TA at Dreams Unlimited had sent me a lovely surprise email not long before I left the UK, telling me that she had managed to apply a new Spring discount offer to my booking so the two things combined actually covered the whole purchase (Disney maths I know! )

Long story short, I popped into the Disney Clothiers on Main Street and treated myself to this

Happy with my purchase, I headed back to the Disneyland Hotel to drop everything off and freshen up for my DIS meet

Iíd first come into contact with the lovely Brenda (emmysmommy) over on the dinning boards and when I was planning my CA October trip we decided to try and hook up for a spot of lunch as she lives super close to the parks (lucky thing!)

Well we had a wonderful time and I really enjoyed her company so when I knew that I would be visiting again, I dropped her a PM and we arranged to meet

It actually turned out that it was Brendaís birthday on the 13th so that made it extra special and I was so pleased that she took the time to spend part of her very special day with little Ďol me

What was also super exciting was that Brendaís beautiful daughter Emmy would be joining us

We had arranged to meet at the Fire House at 12 and after hugs were exchanged, Brendaís friend Don who was also visiting the parks that day took our photo

Photo courtesy of Brenda (emmysmommy)

Brenda has already done a fab little write up about our meet within her current WDW TR so Iíll put a link to that here in case you are interested Ė and you should be because the rest of her WDW trip report is awesome!

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=306

It was an absolute pleasure to spend time with these wonderful people. Iím so grateful they took the time to meet with me

We had a lovely lunch at Zocalo Del Ranchero, exchanged gifts and rode Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Star Tours (thanks Don for being our FP runner!) plus Snow White as well as exploring Tarzanís Tree House and Toontown.

It was such a lovely afternoon and I canít wait to catch up with them again in WDW this December

All too soon it was time so say goodbye (for now) so we headed out of the park and parted ways in DTD

Back at the hotel, I rested for a while, took a shower and munched on the delicious Mickey Cookie that Brenda treated me to from the Jolly Holiday Bakery

Note: I ate it without taking a photo EEK so I literally went back to the bakery to get a snap especially for my TR or Brenda would never forgive me

My plans for this evening were to head back to the park to hop on rides with short lines or single rider and to (hopefully to see the fireworks)

Before I left DLH I decided to get a bite to eat at Trader Samís (nothing to do with the drinks of course )

Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum*- Welcome to our tropical hideaway, you lucky people you! If you have one of these starting right away you may be ordering two!
-- Reserve Rum, Cream of Coconut, and Pineapple and Orange Juices dusted with Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Oh my word this was good. I had always avoided ordering it in the past as I thought it might be a little too rich with the cream of coconut but it was actually a really refreshing drink

I also ordered some of the Ahi Tuna Poke from the bar menu and it was absolutely delicious

Once I had eaten I stopped in DTD to watch some of the Swing Dancing; I had stumbled across this by accident in December and loved it, so I made a point to spend some time enjoying the music and looking on in awe at how good some of these guys are!

I rode the monorail to get back to the park and managed to get a ride upfront! Ė such fun

Back in the park I checked to see if Space was up and running (you know the answer to that ) but the Matterhorn was back so I used SR again and just walked on

Next I rode the Teacups. I never ride these at WDW but they just looked so pretty all lit up at night so I couldnít resist.

The Matterhorn was back up and running so I squeezed in another ride before I headed back to the hub. It was only about 15 minutes before the fireworks were due to start and actually got a pretty decent spot

Sadly they were cancelled, as they were in October due to the wind conditions

I did get to see the special Halloween fireworks last year but I really wanted to see the regular show

Tomorrow was my last chance to see them so I had everything crossed that they would take place as I had heard so many great things about them

Most people seemed to leave the park once they knew that the fireworks were cancelled so I headed round to Indiana Jones to squeeze in one last ride. The wait was posted as 50 minutes and the CM at the entrance said that the SR passes hadnít been sent back up from the boarding area so he handed me a FP instead

I even managed to fit in a visit to the Tiki Room and a dole whip before it was kicking out time

After exciting the park, I indulged in a little more shopping in DTD where the Swing Dancers were still strutting their stuff

It had been a really lovely day and I collapsed into bed at the hotel and fell quickly asleep - after playing Ďa dream is a wish your heart makesí on the headboard about 20 times!

Next Up Ė Cultivating The Magic Tour & Fantasmic!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway View Post
Just found your report and got caught up! Loving hearing about DLR from a tourist perspective again as you can do all the things (like eat at the delicious sit-down restaurants) that we haven't been really able to do since getting here. Sounds like a great trip so far!
Thanks for reading along. It must be so different to live close to the park and be able to visit whenever you want (work permitting!) .... I would love to be able to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hi Linda! So sorry for not paying attention at all and not joining until now!

All the food and fun has me sucked in!

Ohhhhhh a Dismeet - can't wait to see that!!!
Brenda !!! - hello there
It's been a lovely sunny day and Monday is a public holiday so I hope to get this TR finished so that I can catch up with yours!
You did such a great job of documenting our little meet I have added a link to your TR .... hope that's OK?
Say 'hi' to Em for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Mouse View Post
Linda, thrilled to read your trip report! I'm headed to DL for the first time in about 20 years and your perspective and experience on how you fell in live with it has me excited. Looking forward to reading the rest!
Thanks for reading along. As I said in the intro, I really thought I would go to Disneyland once and that would be that, but it's such a special place that I couldn't wait to visit again ..... I hope you have a wonderful trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieinDisney View Post
Loving your TR. RSR looks awesome, sadly I haven't made it over to DCA since they built it. Isn't WOC amazing? I love that show, second only to Fantasmic. Looking forward to the rest of your TR!
WoC is just breathtaking and Fantasmic is incredible as well. Two fab nightime shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Hi Linda!

We are back and I am all caught up here. WoC looks amazing. (..and so does your food. )
Can't wait to read more!
Welcome home Karin
I really need to catch up on everyone's TRs
Will you be giving us a DLRP update?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: