Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #1831
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I love both trails at AK one of my fav parts of the day.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #1832
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

It's sad to say, but I'm not even sure if we've done all of the trails at AK. Great pictures of the animals, Cynthia!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1833
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Today we needed to go somewhere different, somewhere, somehow, we had managed to miss every trip.
Took us a while to appreciate that trail, too, but now I think it's one of the best-themed areas in all of the parks.

Quote:
Darn bats, no one wanted to open their wings all the way. Rats.
I agree with Andy. Rats with wings.

Quote:
I think this entire area is so pretty!

Quote:
This one’s not sleeping!
Such a rare sight!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1834
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
It took us a few visits to get to Maharajah, too - not sure why I think you just miss the signs while walking by, and then realize later that you didn't see the tigers.

I think I hear a Yehti roaring!
I'm glad to hear I am not the only one who has missed it, the whole time we were on it it was like "how have we missed this every time?" I swear I still wouldn't know it existed if it wasn't for the DIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Oh, how I would love to be in Animal Kingdom on this 15th Anniversary day! We are hoping to be there for the 20th.
I'd love to be in Animal Kingdom any day! Like today. Even if it is the 15th anniversary plus one day. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Thanks for the great pictures. The owl pictures are fantastic! Tigers are beautiful creatures. You were fortunate to have a tiger roaming around. Quite often, they are all snoozing.
Loved the owl, I took several pictures and was trying not to get carried away posting, it was obviously a picture heavy update. I was glad to see a tiger up and about as well, they snooze at home too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Sigh... I think I'm going to have to break down and see the Flights of Wonder Show... I love owls...
I don't want to spoil anything but I would recommend seeing it at least once.

Quote:
Was that a komodo dragon? (I have a little man who'd love to see that...
It was! Isn't he cool?

Quote:
That wasn't really your first time on the Maharaja Jungle Trail was it? It's stunning... it's actually one of my favorite things in AK... super atmospheric...
It really was, isn't that sad? Loved it and SO glad we finally found it. I mean that I made everyone go on it. Jeff really didn't believe me at first that there was a trail we hadn't been on in AK....

Quote:
you got some great photos... it's too bad the tigers weren't being cooperative... (I've seen some people bang on the windows to try to make them move... like they're animatronic or something...)

Everest coming up... Love some Everest...
Yeah...knocking on glass that think is sure to wake a sleeping tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I think it took us a couple of visits to AK before we made it on the Maharajah Jungle Trek also. I think the first time we just didn't realize there was anything there, and the second time it was closed for some reason, maybe rain or something. But now I've been on it two or three times. It's a nice trail, I'm glad you folks were able to get there.
I'm not the only one then, good. It was wonderful and I'm so glad we finally found it, I really don't think I'd know it existed if it wasn't for the DIS.

Quote:
I've never seen the komodo dragon all up for a head-on shot like that.
We had seriously good animal karma all day.

Quote:
I'm glad you found some active tigers. I was afraid they were all going to be sleeping, from your first few pictures.
Me too!

Quote:
So, who got doused on your trip down the Kali River rapids?
Everyone got wet but I think Eric took the brunt of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
glad the tigers got up and were active for you, they are fun to look at when sleeping but alot better when they are active.
They are majestic either way but a lot more so when moving and staring you down that's for sure!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #1835
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Hmmm... try sitting through a show with a full bladder, or fear the wrath of what looks like a very angry owl. I think you made the right choice.
Seriously, it could have been ugly!

Quote:
Yep... they're pretty much just flying rats...
I thought those were crows....(rats with wings)

Quote:
Glad they had warning signs. He looks very intimidating.
Sleeping or not, I'll take some kind of barrier...love kitty's but....

Quote:
Now that's the fearsome, majestic cat we all wanted to see.
gorgeous isn't he?

Quote:
Better hurry! The ride might be over before you can even stash it away!
Seriously that is SO true! You get no time to sit, settle, buckle and get stuff in that bin, it was crazy rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great picture of the owl! Don't you just love the Flights of Wonder show.
Well not to give anything away but at that point in the trip and day, I'd still never seen it but I did love the look of that owl. We'd always blown off the show but the owl was so pretty we were intrigued.

And I am not one to pass up on an opportunity like that.

When I can.

Quote:
And I absolutely love that trail. I think its hard to handle in the heat of summer, but the tiger didn't seem to mind. Holy mega picture update. You got tons of great shots.
I posted too many I know, I couldn't pick! It's funny, it was a hot day for sure but I don't recall that part of it being unbearable at all.

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that K is going to come off that ride soaked?
The funny thing is I didn't get any post ride pictures. What is wrong with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Nice trek- First time down that way Huh? Glad you made it. It really is a beautiful area. Almost makes up for the fact teh tigers are usually snoozing.
Just gorgeous, I can't believe I'd never been there before. I was very happy we had an awake tiger though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I am going to guess that K gets soaked too.
Among others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I love both trails at AK one of my fav parts of the day.
So beautiful, you just really feel "away"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
It's sad to say, but I'm not even sure if we've done all of the trails at AK. Great pictures of the animals, Cynthia!
We certainly hadn't! We had amazing animal karma all day, it was wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Took us a while to appreciate that trail, too, but now I think it's one of the best-themed areas in all of the parks.
It took me 8.5 years to FIND the trail unreal. Absolutely loved the area, amazing theming.

Quote:
I agree with Andy. Rats with wings.
Jeff would give that to the crows but bats aren't far behind I guess, though I think they are kind of cute.

Quote:
Such a rare sight!
Waking tiger!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #1836
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Fabulous update, Cynthia.

But let me get something straight here for you.

You can NEVER have too many pictures of giraffes. But anything more than ONE picture of a bat is way too many. Seriously, I have a terrible bat phobia and had to skip through all of those pictures.

Besides those awful creatures, I love Maharaja Jungle Trek. We try to do it every other year at least. I have only seen one of the tigers up ONCE and that was years ago. You got great pictures of them in their usual position...sleeping, and also of the one up and about. Great job.

I think that whole area is very beautiful.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #1837
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Those bats are creepy but fascinating! I have never seen them do anything other than hang around.... it would be cool to see them eat.

Is there only 1 tiger in the enclosure? I don't recall seeing more but it has been awhile. Glad to know that they don't have the tigers and gazelles have play dates.

I think you are going to get wet very shortly!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1838
disneydancer86
Mouseketeer

I'm with Kathy...I have a serious bat phobia. When we go camping in Tennessee (Knoxville Area...MeMom...Montgomery Bell State Park to be exact), they swoop down at your head when you are walking around at night...

I will admit, however, that we do enjoy the Trek. I think we missed it this last time, but usually we take a walk through there. I remember when I was with my dance girls this past June, they dragged me into the room and I was near a panic attack. Then what do we see in a tank right near the exit to the bat room?? What???!?! A SNAKE!!! OOOMMMMGGG....I was freaaaaaking out. (They all thought it was hilarious, of course...)

Great updates, Cynthia! I am finally caught up...and glad to hear its not over.

Polynesian '88, '89, '90, Fort Wilderness '98, Walt Disney Hilton '09, Coronado Springs '10, Wilderness Lodge '11, All Star-Music Dance the World '12, Animal Kingdom Lodge '12-13, Pop Century '13

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #1839
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

No Bat phobia here but many I have toured with totally hate them !!!Altjoght I would not to be around them flying anywhere near me !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #1840
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Fabulous update, Cynthia.

But let me get something straight here for you.

You can NEVER have too many pictures of giraffes. But anything more than ONE picture of a bat is way too many. Seriously, I have a terrible bat phobia and had to skip through all of those pictures.

Besides those awful creatures, I love Maharaja Jungle Trek. We try to do it every other year at least. I have only seen one of the tigers up ONCE and that was years ago. You got great pictures of them in their usual position...sleeping, and also of the one up and about. Great job.

I think that whole area is very beautiful.
LOL! Ok Kathy, no bats for you.

I absolutely loved it back there, so beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Those bats are creepy but fascinating! I have never seen them do anything other than hang around.... it would be cool to see them eat.
I'm with you, it would be cool to see them eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Is there only 1 tiger in the enclosure? I don't recall seeing more but it has been awhile. Glad to know that they don't have the tigers and gazelles have play dates.

I think you are going to get wet very shortly!!
Pretty sure those were different tigers and nope, no play dates for them. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydancer86 View Post
I'm with Kathy...I have a serious bat phobia. When we go camping in Tennessee (Knoxville Area...MeMom...Montgomery Bell State Park to be exact), they swoop down at your head when you are walking around at night...
I admit I wouldn't like them swooping down at my head...

Quote:
I will admit, however, that we do enjoy the Trek. I think we missed it this last time, but usually we take a walk through there. I remember when I was with my dance girls this past June, they dragged me into the room and I was near a panic attack. Then what do we see in a tank right near the exit to the bat room?? What???!?! A SNAKE!!! OOOMMMMGGG....I was freaaaaaking out. (They all thought it was hilarious, of course...)
I'll keep you away from Evan who has been known to place plastic corn snakes on the ground to freak people out....

Quote:
Great updates, Cynthia! I am finally caught up...and glad to hear its not over.
Nope not over, winding down but not over. I do hope to get it done before Aulani so need to get cracking, I've got 3 weeks to wind it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
No Bat phobia here but many I have toured with totally hate them !!!Altjoght I would not to be around them flying anywhere near me !!!

I'm ok as long as they aren't near my head...I don't like ANYTHING flying near my head!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #1841
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just checking in !!! I am finally starting to feel better !! Have to be well for my Cruise which by the way I will be on this time next week !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #1842
Stew_Mouse
Mouseketeer

I can't believe how I have missed the jungle trek al these years! I'm going to make it a point to walk it next trip. The paintings of the animals on the ruin walls are really cool. Great photos!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #1843
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

It took our family a few trips before we made it to the AK trails, too. The kids do need to be a smidge older to really appreciate them!

Ugh, those bats! They give me the creeps!

Fortunately the gorgeous tigers make them go away!

Looking forward to more...

Kathy
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1844
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Just checking in !!! I am finally starting to feel better !! Have to be well for my Cruise which by the way I will be on this time next week !!!
Good! I am glad you are feeling better, did you visit the doctor yet? I'm so excited for you Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Mouse View Post
I can't believe how I have missed the jungle trek al these years! I'm going to make it a point to walk it next trip. The paintings of the animals on the ruin walls are really cool. Great photos!
I missed it for all those years too and apparently we are not alone, it's a recurring comment which made me feel a lot better. It is so beautiful back there. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
It took our family a few trips before we made it to the AK trails, too. The kids do need to be a smidge older to really appreciate them!
Good point on the kids, I'm not sure at what age they get into it but it is nice once they actually start to appreciate the theming as much as the animals.

Quote:
Ugh, those bats! They give me the creeps!
You don't seem to be alone in that feeling!

Quote:
Fortunately the gorgeous tigers make them go away!

Looking forward to more...

Kathy
They are gorgeous, aren't they!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #1845
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Masters of the Mountain

By the time we finished with Kali, it was noon. Jeff and Kendall were due to check in for the Backstage Safari at 12:45. We needed to eat! And, given our rush I did not take any pictures of the drowned rats. Suffice to say though, we got wet. It IS Kali after all!

We did survive and apparently I did take one more picture before we took off

Yeah, that tells you a lot doesnt it!

For lunch we debated between trying Picnic in the Park, Flame Tree, or Y&Y Local foods. Of those, we had done Y&Y before but as we were considering the sit down for dinner, that didnt seem wise. The picnic sounded good but we were a little unclear as to where to get it and Jeff (and the boys) can always go for some BBQ so Flame Tree it was. Problem was, wed never been there. Now that we have I cant see how we had a hard time finding it but..we did.

Finally we made it, ordered, found seats and got busy eating. I argued for splitting meals but everyone insisted they wanted their own.

For Eric and I, the half chicken

Kendall, a Turkey Sandwich

Evan, Ribs

Jeff, Pulled Pork Sandwich

Most of the gang got the chocolate mousse and Evan I think tried the Key Lime Mousse. The verdict? We liked it but I can't say we loved it. Jeff and Evan felt their meat was a little dry. Mine was good but on the charred side (and should have been split with Eric, it was ridiculous). Kendall may have liked hers the best of all but it was a turkey sandwich. It all hit the spot though and mostly got eaten. The dessert however was another story, as were the sodas. I don't know why I let the kids get soda. We were on the DDP so it was included but they barely drank any of it and bottled waters would have been SUCH a better use of the drink portion of the meal. The desserts were...ICK. And all went in the trash. Very wasteful. Id go there again but its not at the top of my list (not that there is something higher up though for AK CS), I would like to try and find the whole picnic in the park one of these days.

Bellies full, finally with some protein at least, it was time for Jeff and Kendall to head off on their adventure. They had to go outside the park to check in and we went to watch just to make sure there werent any issues.

As they got to the check in point, I get a text.

Kendall forgot her ID

What?

Oh crap.

I hadn't remembered at ALL either. Even though I had put it in trip it as to not forget, I had. Kendall had just turned 16, the minimum age for the tour and was required to have her ID on her. Oddly enough (because I am paranoid like that) I did have a picture of her BC on my phone and TEXTED it to Jeff in case he needed it, hoping that it would work. It was hard to read.

Would they let them check in?

Jeff trying to negotiate

Will it work?

We have a smile!

WHEW!

And as far as the E's were concerned&

ABOUT TIME!

LOL

They had been patient, I will give them that.

Where to?

Well, like any parent intent on torturing their child my first idea was...

PHOTOPASS!

LOL

Does this give you a clue?

What about this?

No?

What about this?

Ah yes, finally!

It was 1pm. You didn't really think we were going to wait until 3 to ride did you?

Welcome my children to SINGLE RIDER LINE! Yes, your mom rocks for knowing it exists.

Yeah, they are sweaty. Or still wet from Kali. Or both.

Follow the rules even if I'm not with you, ok?

Guess who decided she should try to take pictures on EE?

Me, that's who!

Shall we head up?

Clearly I was not in the front.

Heres what you get when you are trying to take pictures form the back of EE and avoid everyone's head

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-29-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: