Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K - 2013

Is anyone planning to do the 5K during Food and Wine Half Marathon weekend this year?
I am seriously considering it, but would love to walk it with a group, rather than solo or just 1 friend.....

What are your plans?!
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
caitie86
Earning My Ears

At the moment, I plan on walking this with my mom but if she backs out I'll probably run it. If you can't find anyone, I'll walk with ya.

- best running partner, Marley

caitie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
MrsBeal
Earning My Ears

I'm planning to Run/Walk it or run the whole thing but I'll be there. Trying to talk a few friends into it so we can make it family getaway for the weekend.
MrsBeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

My DW will be running her second 5k. I am planning on spending the race with her. Based on her performance in her first 5k, we will be in the 50 minute range.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Sojas3
Mouseketeer

I will be doing it with my then 11yr old DD. Can not wait! She wants us to dress up as Candy Cane runners.
Sojas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
starrynightrose
Earning My Ears

I so want to go do this. Going down and staying at the parks would really depend on if I still have a job thanks to sequestration....(grumble grumble grumble). Hubby (at that time anyway) wouldn't be able to go with (his school band does their town's Veteren's Day celebrations), but my mom sees me doing this race as a prefect excuse for visit F&W Festival again.

I just started training for a 5K and plan on doing a 5K Color Vibe run here in May. I'm training for an 18 min/mile right now, but am shooting for 15 min/mile for the Disney race.

Anyone have an idea how badly you have to be doing to get swept in the 5K? She definitely can't run it, but if they are really lenient on sweeping in the race, maybe I can convince her to do it with me at a slower pace of 20 min/mile.

1989 - WDW staying Off-Property
1998 - WDW at Summerhill Suites
2000 - Disneyland with my Marching Band for a DL Parade and the Tournament of Roses Parade!
2010 - WDW at Port Orleans Riverside for Food & Wine!
2011 - WDW at Old Key West for BFF Reunion Trip!

starrynightrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightrose View Post
Anyone have an idea how badly you have to be doing to get swept in the 5K? She definitely can't run it, but if they are really lenient on sweeping in the race, maybe I can convince her to do it with me at a slower pace of 20 min/mile.

I have never heard of anyone getting swept at a Disney 5k. I know a lot of people take it VERY slow, and have paces at around 20min a mile.

I plan on walking the whole thing. I want lots of pictures because I will NOT be able to take any during the half. My half pace is 14-15mm right now and I don't have the leeway to not get swept
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
DumboFan
Mouseketeer

We're thinking of doing it. We'll be in WDW to celebrate my DD's Sweet 16 then anyway. My DD is a pretty good field hockey player (already getting interest from college coaches as a Freshman) & she will be just coming off her high school season, but still in full training mode for Nationals at the end of the month in West Palm Beach. Her 2 best friends will also be with us. One plays field hockey & the other is a competitive cheerleader. They're going to talk about it at school this week and then decide.
Question, will the other mom & I be able to walk it or are they pretty strict about running the course? I know she won't want to let the girls go on their own....

DumboFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

I will be walking it alone.
My family can't do it in the 15 minute per mile requirement.
WHat time should we get there? I see buses depart at 5:00am from the resorts. Do you think that is too early?

* November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumboFan View Post
Question, will the other mom & I be able to walk it or are they pretty strict about running the course? I know she won't want to let the girls go on their own....
The rundisney site says that all of their races are walker-friendly. You just have to hit the pace time (I'm saying that wrong).

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
JessM
We all have a dream

I might be wrong but aren't all the Disney 5ks family friendly with no pace requirements?
JessM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
I might be wrong but aren't all the Disney 5ks family friendly with no pace requirements?
They have a pace requirement. They just don't enforce it as strictly as they do with longer events. If you lag too far behind they have a golf cart that will pick you up and deliver you a little further up the course, to help you get back up to pace time. They need to have the park cleared of 5K participants in order to ensure the park is ready for general opening to guests.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

Any "untrained" kids planning on doing the 5k.?

* November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Haley/Hayden Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
My 8 soon to be 9 year old isn't trained and running it. Her big sis (13) on the other hand is a distance runner on varsity track runs 7 minute miles so I think she will be leaving us in the dust.
DH (46) Me (38) parents of a Fiddle Girl (13) and Princess Peanut (9) May 30-June 6, 2009 1st trip ASMusic June 4-June 11,2010 CBR Surprise we going to Disney!!!!! (Shhhh don't tell the kids) Heigh Ho Heigh Ho off to ASSports we go w/ free dining too. June 5-10, 2011 May 26-June 2, 2012 ASMu and Star Wars Weekend, Here we come!!!!
Aug 15-19, 2012 Because 1 trip wasn't enough this year. Ready to tackle the ruins at CSR May 18-25, 2013 time to party at POP August 7-11,2013 jumped in and bought APs. SSR here we come. Nov 7-10, 2013 Jingle Jungle 5K and MVMCP time at POFQ May 24-June 1, 2014 CSR here we come for our princesses bday

Last edited by Haley/Hayden Mom; 05-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Haley/Hayden Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Haley/Hayden Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
I'm not trained either so it should be interesting.
DH (46) Me (38) parents of a Fiddle Girl (13) and Princess Peanut (9) May 30-June 6, 2009 1st trip ASMusic June 4-June 11,2010 CBR Surprise we going to Disney!!!!! (Shhhh don't tell the kids) Heigh Ho Heigh Ho off to ASSports we go w/ free dining too. June 5-10, 2011 May 26-June 2, 2012 ASMu and Star Wars Weekend, Here we come!!!!
Aug 15-19, 2012 Because 1 trip wasn't enough this year. Ready to tackle the ruins at CSR May 18-25, 2013 time to party at POP August 7-11,2013 jumped in and bought APs. SSR here we come. Nov 7-10, 2013 Jingle Jungle 5K and MVMCP time at POFQ May 24-June 1, 2014 CSR here we come for our princesses bday
Haley/Hayden Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: