Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #211
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Ok - here it is, the CURRENT schedule of nights on a 5 night sailing is:

casual, formal, pirate, casual, casual

Like I said, the cast member said this "could change" - but somehow I doubt it

Coming Soon - January 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas!
October 2012: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Cruise to Nowhere)
January 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Coronado Springs Resort
January 2009: Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
October 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter
xxxxMay 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort
January 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter

Kidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #212
kew423
I'm sold

We have only been on the three night so what is the "FORMAL" night? I mean, realistically .. it's not ties for the guys is it?
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #213
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

As far as the Disney Family Museum is concerned, I would love to do it, but my SIL is with me on this sailing and I don't think it would be at the top of her to-do list as she hasn't seen much of San Francisco as a tourist. From reading the excursion information, it sounded as if the museum would take a large portion of the day, and I think we would prefer doing several other things rather than one thing that would eat up most of the day. We haven't discussed it in detail though, so things could change for us.

I would love to go to Sausilito myself, but that is another time-consuming excursion.

I am hoping to buy a guide book that has a map of the city and maybe the cable car routes to plot out a city tour that would cover a lot of the highlights, but I haven't started looking for one yet. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #214
kew423
I'm sold

Touring SF

My mother-in-law suggested renting a car for the day and seeing San Fran that way. Wonder if the cable cars would get us around just as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #215
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kew423 View Post
We have only been on the three night so what is the "FORMAL" night? I mean, realistically .. it's not ties for the guys is it?
It's really to each his own, but there are rules. For instance, no shorts, no bathing suits, etc. Some people will wear full formal attire (tux or suit and gowns or cocktail dresses) while others dress more business-like. Personally, I've always just worn slacks and a nice top and Ryan wears slacks and a button up shirt with a vest (no tie or jacket though). He actually bought a disney cast member vest and wears that

Coming Soon - January 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas!
October 2012: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Cruise to Nowhere)
January 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Coronado Springs Resort
January 2009: Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
October 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter
xxxxMay 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort
January 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter

Kidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #216
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Well, you see some of everything on formal night--floor length gowns for ladies, cocktail dress, tea length, some of everything. I think it is supposed to be coat and tie for the guys, but I have to say we are very casual people and go as simple as can be. Some people use that night to get some nice family portraits done. My DH usually gets by with a L/S shirt and a sweater vest, no tie.

If you ask on the main board cruise board about the dress code and if you say you have ever worn shorts or capris to the dining room the dress code nazis will be after you. I haven't worn shorts in the MDR, but my DH wears nice khaki shorts , and it doesn't bother me that he does.

I am comfortable wearing a pair of dressy type capris and a sparkly top of some kind. By dressy, I mean a nicer fabric, not khaki, but crepe/silky like fabric. This is what I wear to Palo as well and have never felt out of place. Then again, I am short and capri on me is almost ankle length, so maybe they don't look like capris.

For all the talk it stirs up, at the end of the day, unless you see something outrageous, you don't remember what everyone had on anyway.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #217
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Just Booked this Cruise

Hi, everyone. A friend and I just booked this cruise when our families were aboard the Fantasy last week. It will be the second girls' cruise for CaliforniaGirl09 and myself. We did the 5-day from New York to Canada last September and had a blast. This one appeals to us because it is on the West Coast (where we live), and we are excited to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. We are both from the San Fransisco Bay Area, and I would be happy to try to answer any questions about things to do in the area. Looking forward to getting to know our fellow cruise travelers over the next year plus. I'd love to make some magnets for this cruise, so if anyone has come up with some magnet images they would be willing to share, that would be great.

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #218
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan View Post
Hi, everyone. A friend and I just booked this cruise when our families were aboard the Fantasy last week. It will be the second girls' cruise for CaliforniaGirl09 and myself. We did the 5-day from New York to Canada last September and had a blast. This one appeals to us because it is on the West Coast (where we live), and we are excited to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. We are both from the San Fransisco Bay Area, and I would be happy to try to answer any questions about things to do in the area. Looking forward to getting to know our fellow cruise travelers over the next year plus. I'd love to make some magnets for this cruise, so if anyone has come up with some magnet images they would be willing to share, that would be great.
Welcome aboard. Didn't you just love the Fantasy? I particularly loved the Satellite Falls area, It is great to have more brains to pick regarding San Francisco. What in the world are you two going to do with your day in port? I will get you added to the roster.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #219
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Welcome aboard. Didn't you just love the Fantasy? I particularly loved the Satellite Falls area, It is great to have more brains to pick regarding San Francisco. What in the world are you two going to do with your day in port? I will get you added to the roster.
Yes, the Fantasy is a beatiful ship. So new and pristine. My kids loved the new things to do like the Aquaduck and the Midship Detective Agency. And the adults loved Remy. It was our first time on the Fantasy and also our first time in concierge, which was fabulous. It helped make the ship seem a little less crowded. That would really be our only complaint about the Fantasy. Even though it is bigger, it felt a lot more crowded than the Magic or the Wonder. But we had an amazing time.

Good question on what CaliforniaGirl09 and I are going to do in San Francisco for the day! We might book a port adventure if one grabs us just to play tourist. Or maybe just go shopping in Union Square or walk around the Fisherman's Wharf area. We haven't really talked about it yet. I suppose we could also have our families come meet us for dinner or something, LOL.

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #220
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
My mother-in-law suggested renting a car for the day and seeing San Fran that way. Wonder if the cable cars would get us around just as well.

Parking is very hard to find in San Fran, but if you were planning on riding around and not getting out anywhere to explore on foot, that might be an idea. But we did find that the cable cars got you to most of the touristy things, and they are an experience in themselves. You can buy a day pass, $13.00, but it isn't outrageous and that gives you unlimited times you can jump on and off. It is fun to watch the school kids with their backpacks using it for their transportation.

Now that we have more people from that area on this sailing, I am sure they will have some great suggestions and recommendations.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #221
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Parking is very hard to find in San Fran, but if you were planning on riding around and not getting out anywhere to explore on foot, that might be an idea. But we did find that the cable cars got you to most of the touristy things, and they are an experience in themselves. You can buy a day pass, $13.00, but it isn't outrageous and that gives you unlimited times you can jump on and off. It is fun to watch the school kids with their backpacks using it for their transportation.

Now that we have more people from that area on this sailing, I am sure they will have some great suggestions and recommendations.
I agree that if you are planning to stay within San Francisco, I wouldn't necessarily suggest a rental car. The cable cars, Muni, cabs and your feet should be able to get you to most sites.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #222
kew423
I'm sold

parking

Quote:

Ah! WEll maybe the cable cars is the way to go then. WE do want to walk around some places.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #223
kew423
I'm sold

What?

Quote:

What's a "Muni"?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #224
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What's a "Muni"?
Muni is the light rail/bus system within San Francisco. There is also BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), a more extensive light rail system that has some stops within San Francisco and can also get you to certain other areas in the Bay Area.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #225
Huney
Mouseketeer

Calfan, where are you girls from? We lived un Sunnyvale for 8.5 years before we moved to San Diego about a year ago. We're planning on going to a Giants game if they're at home that day, fingers crossed! My sil still lives in that area, so she'll come up to meet us for dinner at least

Huney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: