Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #2011
WishingMom
DIS Veteran
 
WishingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106

One of the Peak season dates at POFQ seems to be the week after President's Day! Is this because it is Half Marathon week?


Thanks
__________________
1997 - 1st WDW trip, 2003 - WDW,
2009 - CBR,a nd 1st DCL cruise (our wedding cruise)
2011 - Pop Century, First MNSSHP
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD3
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #2012
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 95

Hi - I have been taking a look at the breakfast menu at POFQ and am a bit unfamiliar with some of the items on the menu, lol! Grits? Biscuits and gravy? French toast?

Unfortunately, as much as I love trying new foods, I have quite picky children. I'm sure they would happily eat muffins and beignets but I wouldn't really want them to have sweet things for breakfast solidly for 2 weeks!!

Do they have anything that compares to toast or cereal like we have in the uk?

Thanks xx
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #2013
ibrokeitmommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87

Grits are like a hot cereal. Do you know what cream of wheat is? The consistency is similar. They are so yummy but I do put sugar and butter in mine.

Biscuits here aren't sweet, more a buttery dish. The gravy is probably a white sausage gravy.

French toast is bread dipped in egg and then fried in a pan/griddle. It's really good but yes sugary.

I'm sure you can probably buy cold cereal and milk at the hotel store? This is our first trip to port Orleans so I'm not sure. We are also struggling with breakfast. We eat eggs every morning at home and not sure we want to use credits for them every day. I plan in bringing some granola bars and picking up some muffins maybe, fruit?
ibrokeitmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #2014
taylor3297
DIS Veteran
 
taylor3297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 3,924

Grits are a southern breakfast staple. It is ground hominy(corn). It is sort of like a porridge. Most people put butter and pepper on their grits. Also, adding cheese is quite tasty too. Never heard of anyone putting sugar on their grits like the other poster stated. I used to eat grit every morning growing up.

Biscuits and gravy is delicious! Of course US biscuits are more of a bread/roll/ The gravy is a white gravy called sawmill gravy. It is flour based, with pepper. Some people add ground sausage to the gravy.

French toast is like the other person said. Different people use different types of bread to make this. Some use french bread, white bread, sour dough bread etc. At home, we just use regular white bread. French toast can be served with butter and syrup, or my favorite powdered sugar.

Give it a try you may like it.
__________________
taylor3297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #2015
arianrose
Earning My Ears
 
arianrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokeitmommy View Post
Grits are like a hot cereal. Do you know what cream of wheat is? The consistency is similar. They are so yummy but I do put sugar and butter in mine.

Biscuits here aren't sweet, more a buttery dish. The gravy is probably a white sausage gravy.

French toast is bread dipped in egg and then fried in a pan/griddle. It's really good but yes sugary.

I'm sure you can probably buy cold cereal and milk at the hotel store? This is our first trip to port Orleans so I'm not sure. We are also struggling with breakfast. We eat eggs every morning at home and not sure we want to use credits for them every day. I plan in bringing some granola bars and picking up some muffins maybe, fruit?
Does your family eat hard boiled eggs? We're driving, so we plan to make some and keep them in the fridge. If you're flying, many grocery stores often have a little deli area where there are already boiled eggs. (Up here they do, anyway.)

ETA: MeeskaMooskaMickey, you can frequently also order the biscuits with gravy on the side, so your children can try just the biscuit first. As others have said, it's a fairly dense, savory bread. (ETA *again* because my girlfriend is brilliant. She said a biscuit is like a baked (instead of boiled) dumpling, and she's exactly right.
__________________
Starting Early ... a Nov '14 PTR (Or: 18 months to plan!)


Last edited by arianrose; 04-25-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Adding response
arianrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #2016
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?
 
bookgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a OK state
Posts: 5,688

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi - I have been taking a look at the breakfast menu at POFQ and am a bit unfamiliar with some of the items on the menu, lol! Grits? Biscuits and gravy? French toast?

Unfortunately, as much as I love trying new foods, I have quite picky children. I'm sure they would happily eat muffins and beignets but I wouldn't really want them to have sweet things for breakfast solidly for 2 weeks!!

Do they have anything that compares to toast or cereal like we have in the uk?

Thanks xx
Grits are basically the same as polenta only served creamy like porrige and often have cheese on it.

Biscuists are like lighter fluffer scones, buttery but not sweet. They are served with a savory gravy (milk/flour/pepper) and often have sausage in it but I haven't had them at POFQ so it may just be plain gravy.

French toast is thick bread egg batter dipped and griddled served with butter syrup and powdered sugar. Kinda like the bread part of a monte cristo sandwich.

They have standard corn flakes or cheerios you can also buy slices of bread and toast them in the food court. They will have butter and jelly/jam in the condiments section. Bacon is in no way similar to english bacon but sausage is similar enough that they will probably recognize it. They also sell flavored yogurt and fruit in the fridge sections. Or you can get the parfait which is yogurt layed with granola/fruit of your choosing. They might like the oatmeal which is also like porriage and you can get toppings for it.
__________________
DL 3/2000 OFFSITE WDW 1/2009 ASMu WDW 9/2011 BC&POFQ WDW/IOA 10/2012 AoA/POFQ/ASMu WDW 10/2013 POR WDW 3/2014 ASsports

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL


Last edited by bookgirl; 04-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #2017
middlesista
Mouseketeer
 
middlesista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 350

Thanks to everyone who clarified our question about the room only vs package deposit. When we called to change our room only dates (we do not want to chance not having a room at POFQ so did not want to wait and change when packages became avail) the CM at reservations mentioned that for the packages for January we should call back the "3rd week in June." My daughter spoke w/reservations since I wondered why do we have to call - thought we could just book online?
__________________

Me DH DD DGD(5yr) DGD(1.9yr)
[
1975 OS 1978 DL 1986 Poly 1988 Poly 1990 Poly 1998 CBR 2000 OS
2003 OS 2012 POFQ
2014 POFQ
middlesista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #2018
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 95

Thanks peoples for enlightening me about the breakfast food choices, it's all very different to what we have at home! I can't speak for my fussy little ones but I will be trying everything, tt's nice to eat something a bit more 'exotic' on holiday!

I'm relieved to hear though that they have some cheerios, fruit, yoghurt etc, that sounds perfect for the children, and I think they would probably like french toast if too if they try it!

Thanks again guys!! xx
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #2019
Shaden
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingMom View Post
One of the Peak season dates at POFQ seems to be the week after President's Day! Is this because it is Half Marathon week?


Thanks
I think its because people turn it into a week vacation, why not if you can book a week but only have to use 4 days vacation.

Its also now "family day" up here in Ontario Canada (a couple other provinces have that monday off as well) and spring break for many Canadian universities, so there has been an increased trend for Canadians to head down during that time.

We were there February 2012, it was indeed pretty busy, not terrible, but not ideal.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #2020
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 4,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Thanks peoples for enlightening me about the breakfast food choices, it's all very different to what we have at home!
And a warning from a fellow Brit: prepare yourself for the fact that at some point during our long and divided history, the Americans somehow lost track of bacon. You can't get any lovingly cooked lean back bacon at all (anywhere!), just crisply frazzled thin strips of streaky mostly-fat. Oh alright, I guess I can cope with it as it's all they seem to understand and you have to humour them as it's their loss, but it's not bacon!

(now, where's my wooden spoon gone? )

But they certainly make up for the lack of bacon with pancakes... and more especially funnel cakes!

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #2021
Shaden
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
And a warning from a fellow Brit: prepare yourself for the fact that at some point during our long and divided history, the Americans somehow lost track of bacon. You can't get any lovingly cooked lean back bacon at all (anywhere!), just crisply frazzled thin strips of streaky mostly-fat. Oh alright, I guess I can cope with it as it's all they seem to understand and you have to humour them as it's their loss, but it's not bacon!

(now, where's my wooden spoon gone? )

But they certainly make up for the lack of bacon with pancakes... and more especially funnel cakes!

Andre
Its funny, because if you CAN find it in the US, its often Called Canadian Bacon ...

Despite being a Canadian, I actually prefer the strips, although lean strips, most of the stuff you get is, as you say, mostly fat
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #2022
saraheeyore
DIS Veteran
 
saraheeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: lincolnshire, england
Posts: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Thanks peoples for enlightening me about the breakfast food choices, it's all very different to what we have at home! I can't speak for my fussy little ones but I will be trying everything, tt's nice to eat something a bit more 'exotic' on holiday!

I'm relieved to hear though that they have some cheerios, fruit, yoghurt etc, that sounds perfect for the children, and I think they would probably like french toast if too if they try it!

Thanks again guys!! xx
they do mickey waffles with a sausage. mine will probably have that everytime. mine are picky too. when are you going?
__________________
Me DH DD(6) : DS(3)


pre trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post40743805
saraheeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #2023
taylor3297
DIS Veteran
 
taylor3297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 3,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Its funny, because if you CAN find it in the US, its often Called Canadian Bacon ...

Despite being a Canadian, I actually prefer the strips, although lean strips, most of the stuff you get is, as you say, mostly fat
Yep, if you want anything similar to bacon that you get in the UK you need to get Canadian bacon.

If you think the regular US bacon is mostly fat, you should try fatback sometime.
__________________
taylor3297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #2024
WishingMom
DIS Veteran
 
WishingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post

I think its because people turn it into a week vacation, why not if you can book a week but only have to use 4 days vacation.

Its also now "family day" up here in Ontario Canada (a couple other provinces have that monday off as well) and spring break for many Canadian universities, so there has been an increased trend for Canadians to head down during that time.

We were there February 2012, it was indeed pretty busy, not terrible, but not ideal.
Unfortunately we don't get the coveted Family Day!
__________________
1997 - 1st WDW trip, 2003 - WDW,
2009 - CBR,a nd 1st DCL cruise (our wedding cruise)
2011 - Pop Century, First MNSSHP
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD3
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #2025
msmama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,452

Just back from my 1st trip to FQ and LOVED it.

I'm still not sure I'm sold on Mods in general, but I would certainly stay at FQ again over ANY other Moderate resort. LOVED the small size and knowing I wouldn't have to walk another 10-15 minutes after I got back to the resort.

We only had one bus issue and that was the DTD bus. We had to use the bus because a storm went through so boats weren't running and FQ came AFTER Riverside so it was a looooong commute.

I found the food court to be pretty good. The rooms were surprisingly quiet considering the movies were shown right outside my door every night. I could hear them but they weren't overly loud and didn't keep my son up.

I thought the arcade wasn't as good as the Pop one (the only other one I've ever been to) but we just use that to kill time anyway so not a big deal. The pool was colder than I would have guessed but the hot tub was great! My 5 year old was super proud of himself for becoming (in his words) "Master of the Waterslide!!"

Certainly no complaints and I would quite happily stay here again. I was in building 4 (with connecting rooms) which was just about perfect. Ground floor, which I always avoid in values, but had no problems with here!

I think I'm a may be a POFQ convert, lol!!
__________________
The little dude and Me

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: