Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Just an update: According to the resort and another source , the refurb/redecorating at PBH is completed finally.
Yay!!!!!!

Go here... http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Portof...odations/rooms ...for larger photos.

Villa Suite

Photos of Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, Orlando
This photo of Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Portofino Suite

This photo of Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Hospitality Suite

Deluxe King

Deluxe Double Queen

Bayview King

Bayview Double Queen

Last edited by damo; 04-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

We loved the old decor, but the new rooms are really pretty. Love the look of the suites!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
nerdboyrockstar
Mouseketeer
I want a t-shirt that says "Everything is better at Disneyland"

Wow. Thanks so much for posting those pictures, damo. The updates are fantastic. Can't wait to stay in of these rooms!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Really pretty!! Oh, I hope they replaced the sofa beds!! Anyone know? The last two trips I've made the sofa beds were pretty bent up.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
scratchboat
Earning My Ears

I was told sofa beds were removed, not replaced!

I'll know for sure next week, but I was told by the PBH front desk staff that - at least for Deluxe Double-Queen rooms - the sofa beds were removed and not replaced at all.

I'll find out for sure when I check-in next week and I'll post an update ...
scratchboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The sofa beds in the suites would not have been removed. They sure look like new ones to me. From what I heard, everything was replaced and is brand new.

Interestingly, the description of the deluxe rooms still mentions the sofa beds.

Deluxe Room
These elegantly appointed accommodations offer an even larger living space at 490 square feet, plus a stylish and roomy bathroom featuring a separate tub and shower. Deluxe rooms are available with a King or two double Queen beds, most rooms with two double queen beds have a pull-out sofa. In addition to the extra comfort you'll enjoy a view of the serene Villa Pool and surrounding gardens, or the dramatic Roman aqueduct-styled Beach Pool.

Last edited by damo; 04-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #22
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Glad the renovation is DONE!

Just for grins, I went and read through about a bazillion reviews on TripAdvisor dot com. Wow, there was quite a string of negative reviews, and most seemed to be centered around either the need for a refurbishment, or the inconveniences associated with an ongoing refurbishment!

Reviews over the last couple of weeks all seemed to be more positive. One room tip I'll take to heart is to request a room assignment not in the "pet friendly" section. Still a few complaints about barking dogs during the night while the occupants are out and about.

Hope they have a single king bed room available when we check in. Woohoo, only 30 more days before vacation, and only three more weeks of 12-1/2 hour night shifts to go......
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
kingken
LOVEFLORIDA

we are going in august and was a bit worried about the refurb negatives on tripadvisor so great to know there finished, can twait
thanks for replies
kingken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
scratchboat
Earning My Ears

Not quite done ...

I'm staying @ PBH this week and I still see work going to both the exterior and some rooms in the west wing (ground floor rooms behind the boat dock). Some rooms have furniture removed or piled in the center covered by drop cloths and several had their patio doors removed and covered with plastic temporarily.

On the other hand, double-queen deluxe room assigned to me in the villa wing is newly refurbished - beds are incredibly comfortable - but there is no sleeper sofa. I can tell that the doors to my balcony used to be french doors, but now the entrance to the balcony is by a single sliding door. There's no work going on in the villa wing with the possible exception of the ground floor area near the spa.

So perhaps the work is being done in phases and the West wing is the last to be tackled?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
kingken
LOVEFLORIDA

noted on tripadvisor from last week that there was still negatives as work going on so looks like not quite there yet, hopefully all done b y august
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Elisa J
Yes, we're going again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchboat View Post
I'm staying @ PBH this week and I still see work going to both the exterior and some rooms in the west wing (ground floor rooms behind the boat dock). Some rooms have furniture removed or piled in the center covered by drop cloths and several had their patio doors removed and covered with plastic temporarily.

On the other hand, double-queen deluxe room assigned to me in the villa wing is newly refurbished - beds are incredibly comfortable - but there is no sleeper sofa. I can tell that the doors to my balcony used to be french doors, but now the entrance to the balcony is by a single sliding door. There's no work going on in the villa wing with the possible exception of the ground floor area near the spa.

So perhaps the work is being done in phases and the West wing is the last to be tackled?
Staying in a deluxe queen, villa pool view room next week. Are there still exterior renovations going on in that area?
May 2008 BWV
Oct 2008 BCV
Nov 2009 BCV
Oct 2010 BCV
Oct 2011 BCV

Elisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
glocon
DIS Veteran

WOW! Those rooms look so serene and absolutely beautiful! I love the colors~ they are so relaxing!

From looking at pictures, I never wanted to stay there before, because I did not like the look in the rooms, but now.... for sure I would love it!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
scratchboat
Earning My Ears

"Staying in a deluxe queen, villa pool view room next week. Are there still exterior renovations going on in that area?"

I stayed @ PBH last week. I had a beach pool view room in the Villa wing and there was no refurbishment in sight or ear-shot on that side of the Villa wing. However there was some drop cloths, materials and aerial lifting trucks visible from the Villa side. I think they might have been doing the actual work on other parts of the resort, but you could see the work from the Villa side.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Elisa J
Yes, we're going again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchboat View Post
"Staying in a deluxe queen, villa pool view room next week. Are there still exterior renovations going on in that area?"

I stayed @ PBH last week. I had a beach pool view room in the Villa wing and there was no refurbishment in sight or ear-shot on that side of the Villa wing. However there was some drop cloths, materials and aerial lifting trucks visible from the Villa side. I think they might have been doing the actual work on other parts of the resort, but you could see the work from the Villa side.
Thank you! I think I may switch to a beach pool view just to be safe..
May 2008 BWV
Oct 2008 BCV
Nov 2009 BCV
Oct 2010 BCV
Oct 2011 BCV

Elisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
kingken
LOVEFLORIDA

back from PBH and unfortunately they had not finished painting the outside of the hotel harbour area which some what spoiled the ambience of the hotel harbour, the thirsty fish was half painted with the scaffold taken down and moved to the front of the hotel which made the bar area very scruffy, the bar sign post was covered in plastic, the front of the hotel and seating area was taped off as were the windows, very disappointing considering the amount of time we saved to go here, apart from that hotel is very nice staff very friendly amenities very good if not a little pricey, the boat ride to and from hotel were very relaxing and a nice way to travel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: