Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Tutus?

Okay I think I want to wear a tutu for the next race. However I want to wear a red white and blue one.
I have googled tutus for races and runners and get a minimal list. Amazon doesn't have the red white and blue tutu for adults.

So anyone who can share websites of tutus please post! Thanks!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Esty is a great place to find them. Search running skirts.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

I saw a lot of women with presumably homemade tutus. They took long strips of that toile material and tied them around a belt. The tutus were full and whatever color and pattern they wanted. I thought it was a great idea. I'm sure there are youtube tutorials on making them but it really looked like it would take 30 minutes max.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
operationremie
Mouseketeer

it's easy to make them, like walkdmc said. i ran a 5k at hartford marathon last year and wore won because i raised a lot of money for LLS. it was the girlfriend's idea.

My Training Blog: http://ageekintraining.blogspot.com/
Total Miles in 2013: 235.84
2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

operationremie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I did come across something about home made tutu's. I will stop by the material store today and check out tulle material.
If it isn't too expensive (because I don't know what the price of tulle is per yard and apparently I need many many many yards of it.) I will certainly look into it.

Thanks.

BTW that tutu in the photo is very nice...its the style I want in red white and blue and it looks lovley on you too!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

Depending on the thickness if the tulle you can get it as cheap as ~$1/ yard. To make purchase elastic in 1/4-1/2 inch and measure a stretched out distance around your waist. Cut and tie ends together.

Cut tulle in strips the width that you desire. Stretch the elastic around a chair back. It'll be held in place and makes for an easy tying surface. Next take your tulle and tie in half hitches around the elastic (fold in half length wise, fold the end over the elastic, and loop the other end through the fold. Pull through and it is now attached). Place strips as close together as you'd like. Done.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
operationremie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
BTW that tutu in the photo is very nice...its the style I want in red white and blue and it looks lovley on you too!
haha thanks. that'll be the last time i wear one. but they are super duper easy to make. for me, it took like 2 hours to put them all on cause i wanted a lot on the tutu itself. if you don't want a lot, it shouldn't take long.

just search google on how to make them. there are a few sites that i looked at that really helped. i think it's the looping the tulle that's the pain.

2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

I've heard tutus are easy to make and there are several tutorials online. You can also buy them at Claire's. If you're planning to run anything longer than a 5 or 10K in them, make sure you try them out first.

operationremie - You should do the Tink in DL. Lots of guys dress up in tutus and wings

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
paxsarah

Mouseketeer

Most of the gals I ran with at Princess made tutus, and I want to say they even purchased the tulle pre-cut into strips? They definitely stalked the sales and coupons at the fabric and craft stores - Joann, Michael, and Hobby Lobby all have frequent coupons, often at 40% off regular price, and the sales can be quite good as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

If you don't want to make one, type "running tutu" into the search box on Etsy. Most of these sellers are runners and the tulle they use is usually a little softer (ther are different kinds of tulle -- some are really rough).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Why not just buy a cheap one at a costume store? The stiff material gives you a nice buffer when you're in the corrals.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I am going to try to make my own...thanks all. I will buy the tulle and elastic band and measure and then loop tule through band while it is wrapped around a chair.
If all goes according to plan,,,I will try to upload a photo of it. I want to look patriotic!

Meanwhile in my search last night for tutus I did come across esty? They have very nice tutu's and I thought reasonable. However it was a pita to order it...you have to email someone and tell them what you want. They then email you back (which as yet they haven't) and then I order it.
So I will try to make my own instead.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
operationremie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfoo View Post
operationremie - You should do the Tink in DL. Lots of guys dress up in tutus and wings
tempting lol i don't know if i can do it in 2014. maybe 2015. next year i want to do the coast to coast but going to florida one week and cali the next might be tough on a budget. plus i really want to do the dumbo double dare.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

For red, white and blue check your local Walmart too they may have the tulle much cheaper than a regular fabric store.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I bought my tulle today. It was cheap alright. The tulle's regular price was
1:13 per yard with an additional 30% off per yard. I bought two yards of each red white and blue..because they say you need a total of 6 yards...and I also bought 6 yards of a neon in your face HOT pink for a future tutu. I also bought ribbons for .50 and that included a clearance sale on Hello kitty ribbons (to go with the future hot pink tutu).

I spent about $10.00 on all the tulle. $3.50 on ribbons and nearly $4.00 on the elastic band.

Now to get started! My next race is about two and half weeks away so I have a bit of time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: