Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I love Chefs/France! Food is so yummy!! Everyone is different i guess. There's a lot of restaurants in Disney that are hit or miss. Take it with a grain of salt. i'd go over the menu and decide from there.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

On our last trip we had a reservation for dinner. After more careful examination of the menu we switched our ADR to lunch and we enjoyed in immensely. The cheese plate is fantastic as is the French Onion soup. I recommend that you look at the menus. Lunch and dinner are different and you may find that one appeals more than the other.

We also agreed that while we loved the apps and dessert, the entrees were too much for us, even though the flavor of the croque monsieur was delicious, it was too big but we were constrained by the DXDP. We will go back in December, but we are going OOP so we can order what we like!

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
MaryKatesMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You can't judge on how you yourself will feel about a restaurant based on the reaction of others. Unless you see that a LOT of persons have stated that the place is a dump, it's probably just a matter of taste.

I have no desire to ever return to Tony's. Not because it's a dump but because I'm not interested in paying the kind of money charged for what appeared to be the type of Italian food you can buy in a can. But there are a lot of other persons on the board who really enjoy Tony's.

I've had some stuff at Chefs that I didn't like. Once I ordered a flatbread there and was served a piece of bread smeared with tomato paste. I swear that's what it was. But the macaroni and cheese is awesome. I just can't make myself plan to go there for some mac and cheese.

There are others who are led by the descriptions of the place to expect upscale French cuiosine - which it isn't. It's basic bistro food. It's noisy and bustling, not like an upscale restaurant. And a lot of it has been sort of simplified for American palates. The upscale place is Monseiur Paul (in the same building).
I've never had the flat bread with tomato but I know my sister was expecting more of a thin crust pizza and it isn't that yeasty or chewy a dough so she didn't like it.

I completely agree about Tony's. How do you like the new Tutto? It is still too dark for me inside but nothing beats leaving the snow in the northeast and eating outside in a sunny Italian palazzo. The food has always been better than Tony's. If we really want Italian food for dinner than it is Il Mulino for us.
MaryKatesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Very well put. I agree completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
You can't judge on how you yourself will feel about a restaurant based on the reaction of others. Unless you see that a LOT of persons have stated that the place is a dump, it's probably just a matter of taste.

I have no desire to ever return to Tony's. Not because it's a dump but because I'm not interested in paying the kind of money charged for what appeared to be the type of Italian food you can buy in a can. But there are a lot of other persons on the board who really enjoy Tony's.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I love it. But we haven't been in 5 years, so I hope it hasn't changed. I am very much looking forward to our reservation there this time. We have never had a bad meal there for lunch.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

We ate there just once...won't be back again any time soon. It was myself, dh and dd (then 11). Dd had no issue with her food....she got something off the kids menu. Dh had fish and said it was not wonderful, to say the least. My beef was badly overcooked...almost inedible. Our server seemed to hate her job. My dh ordered iced tea...it was offered so he figured that's what he would get. Nope, tepid tea, with one ice cube. Our server had brought out a plate with 3 tiny pieces of bread. When she ambled by, we asked for more bread please and my dh asked if he could have a cup of ice cubes to chill his tea. She literally rolled her eyes and walked away. No bread ever made it to the table and no ice cubes. When she brought our dinner, dh asked again. She never returned to see how our food was! No ice was ever seen, I ate a few bites of my beef and finally gave up. Dh couldn't finish his fish...and he's a big seafood eater but said something just tasted off. When our server finally returned, with the check, she looked at our food and said nothing. She never even offered dessert!!
We left a very small tip and off we went. I wanted to speak to the manager but dh just wanted to leave!

I know that's just one experience and we should really give it another try, but I just can't bring myself to go there again.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I completely agree about Tony's. How do you like the new Tutto? It is still too dark for me inside but nothing beats leaving the snow in the northeast and eating outside in a sunny Italian palazzo. The food has always been better than Tony's. If we really want Italian food for dinner than it is Il Mulino for us.
I ate lunch at Tutto once, it was fine, I thought Il Mulino was better. If I want to eat in Italy at Epcot I'll go to Via Napoli or Tutto Gusto, you can order Tutto Italia menu items at Gusto if you want. But it's dark also, it's supposed to look like a wine cellar.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Seems like most (if not all) of Les Chefs' negative reviews are about dinner. I've always gone for lunch. So maybe in this case lunch is a better bet than dinner.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

We try a new-to-us World Showcase restaurant each trip.

Last year, our choice was between Rose & Crown or Chefs de France, & Rose & Crown "won".

Rose & Crown is another restaurant that gets mixed reviews, & we would now be one of the less than positive reviews. We just weren't that impressed. But I'm glad we tried it.

This year, our choice was between La Hacienda & Chefs de France, & Chefs has "won" for our upcoming trip.

I ended up finally choosing Chefs for 3 reasons:

1. I decided that our kids would find more that they liked to eat at Chefs than they would have at La Hacienda - the kids' menu at Chefs looked better to me, & younger DS, of course, eats from the kids' menu. Our older 2 kids (being "Disney adults") usually eat a mix between the regular & kids' menus.

2. Remy - I thought it would be a nice surprise for the kids to see Remy, so I scheduled a 4:30 pm ADR (early for us) in the hopes of seeing him at his 5:20 pm rotation.

3. The desserts - We normally don't eat desserts at every meal, so that's a "treat" for us at Disney, & the desserts at Chefs looked good!

So, while, yes, Chefs gets mixed reviews, I'm excited to finally try it for myself!

Just about every restaurant at WDW gets mixed reviews anyway. In fact, I'm trying to think of a restaurant that gets mostly all positive reviews, & the only one I can think of, w/ the exception of Victoria & Albert's, is breakfast at Tusker House.

We've also discovered that our own restaurant experiences can vary year-to-year as well. For example, last year we really enjoyed Garden Grill - it was one of our favorite meals. However, the prior year, we had a really bad experience there. Conversely, 2 years ago, our dinner at CRT was wonderful whereas, last year, it wasn't as good.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Our upcoming trip will only be our second trip but, we will be going back to Chefs in December. I really think the boards really set expectations for restaurants at Disney very high and if you go with really high expectations, like I did, you will be very disappointed.

We enjoyed our lunch there and look forward to another one however, it's not authentic, gourmet French food so don't expect it and I think you should enjoy.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I've eaten at Les Chefs many times over the years, never had bad meal! Of late, I find the dinner menu and the cuisine somewhat un-inspired! However for us it's still a very nice place to have lunch!

We order several appetizers that we share, our faves Assiete Campagnarde (asst. of pates') and the Escargots (have to get 2 of these my son eats one order by himself), just add the delicious French Onion soup, a tomato and chevre flatbread and a creme brulee and you have a really lovely lunch!

The dinner menu to me is just blah, it's certainly eatible, even good but for me it's time for a change!!

Go and enjoy yourselves, it's one meal, and you may love it, wo cares what others think!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

My problem with CDF is that I love French food and wine and theirs just isn't very good. I agree that it's a pleasant-enough place for lunch, but I find their food uninspired and often clumsy (even by my lowered-for-WDW standards).
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
mousestruck
Mouseketeer

We tried Chefs for the first time last year and LOVED it! We went for lunch, and both food and service were excellent. If you like the menu, I'd encourage you to give it a try!
mousestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
olecow
Mouseketeer

Personally I don't put a lot of thought into what others think about a restaurant. I have to try them for myself. I've never been to Chefs De France but my family has an ADR at Chefs for our upcoming June trip and I'm really looking forward to it. Will I like it? We'll see. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
olecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

We went to Les Chefs last December and generally enjoyed it.

While it's not my favorite WS restaurant (Via Napoli holds that honor), we plan to return on our next trip.

As PPs have said, there seem to be fewer negative reviews at lunch (which was when we ate there) as opposed to dinner.

In that regard, provided you're not expecting top flight French food, I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the lunch prix fixe menu. I think the kitchen is more consistent with these items and while the food, IMO, isn't outstanding, it's pretty good and the value, OOP, by Disney standards, is very good.

We also liked the atmosphere and service (and the bread was piping hot and yummy).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: