Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #91
zacksmammie
Mouseketeer

I agree, sometimes don't even say where I'm going just because I don't want to hear the negativity. And NO I am not getting tired of it, been going for 30 years and hope to have many more trips in the future !
zacksmammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #92
richmar
Earning My Ears

Smile

WDW is my "happy place" and has been for the last 35 years. We no longer try to hide or justify the fact that we are going again! It was really trying when I was working and the subject of vacations came up. My co-workers could not understand my we would be going to Disneyworld again. Now that I'm retired I make it a point to let them know that I'm spending their social security contributions foolishly at Disneyworld.
richmar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #93
zacksmammie
Mouseketeer

Love that response, may ave to use that myself, what better way to spend retirement than at DW!
zacksmammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #94
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I've started going annually since I had my daughter, but I do other vacations as well. People chuckle, but I don't take it as an insult, but honestly, I dont' consider Disney a vacation, per se. It's more of a trip, but a trip I enjoy doing for my daughter's sake. I have a friend who has been to Aruba every year for almost 30 years. She goes the first two weeks of August, like clockwork. I wouldn't call it strange, but just a limited way of spending time, but it's her time and money.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #95
njsmama
Mouseketeer

I hear ya! I get the same reactions when people find out we are going yet again. But, WDW makes our vacay so easy and magical. I love it
We take other trips too, but WDW keeps everyone busy and happy!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #96
PrincessSamanthaC
Mouseketeer

Ugh you def are not the only one who is so annoyed by peoples comments!! "Aren't the kids too old for disney?" "Don't you want to try something different instead of the same old same old?" No and Noo! It got to the point that we only told the people who needed to know that we were going be away and at Disney because we are sick of it. Like my aunt who takes us to and from airport, fellow disney lover cousin and wife who live next door, god mother and mine and my parents bosses. Thats it. Everyone else either doesn't even know we will be away or we just say we are going to Florida. They just don't get it!

Nov 05' ASM, Nov 07' PC, Oct 09' CS, Nov 10' AKL Oct 11' BC, Aug 12' BC Aug 13' BC, Aug 14' GF
PrincessSamanthaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #97
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrj View Post
My Son was 14 months old first time. Friends said wait till he would remember the trip, I said why, I'll remember.

20+ years later we still have the photo of him kissing Minnie's nose!
Exactly! I took my 23 month old granddaughter in Jan. and people kept telling me the same thing. I tell them that it cost me nothing for her to fly, get in Disney, or eat (she ate whatever I ate), and the memories I'll have are priceless!

My WDW trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang @ Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; 2013: Jan. 2 - 5 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8 BC; June 3 - 8 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7,; Sept. 19 - 22 WL; Nov. 23 - 29 POR; Dec. 6 - 9 CS; 2014: Feb. 1 - 3 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12 AoA; Apr. 3 - 7 POR; June 3 - 10 POR, WL; July 31 - Aug. 3 Disney Dream; Aug. 3 - 5 Poly; Aug. 22 - 24 BW; Sept 12 - 14 WL
Bee2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #98
Sarah Millar01
Mouseketeer

I find the people I know who make such comments are the people who have never visited (I have been 30 times, got married out there, have 6 children who love it and my youngest child who is 4 years old has been 6 times) so I am a complete Disney fanatic! It gives me and my family everything I need in a holiday (and more)! U go ahead and keep enjoying your fabulous Disney trips and ignore the ones who don't. Heres hoping they keep their opinions to themselves in future :-)
Sarah Millar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #99
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwo View Post
Why do people think it is okay to insult the fact that I like to go to Disney on vacation? I don't insult where you are going! I get it - you went to Disney and didn't have a good time. You said it was expensive, it was crowded and the food was lousy. Mind you, you went to MK and AK. You did not go to Epcot or to HS. However, you had a great time at Seaworld, but for some reason you, your husband and your twin five year old boys did not have fun at a place where quite a few people on this planet do manage to enjoy themselves. Sorry I needed to vent! I was at a party today and again the fact was brought up that I am going back to Disney in the fall and they just can't understand why. Why don't I go someplace else? MYOB!!
i've been lucky in that I mostly get "Why do you go SO OFTEN?" rather than outright hate. However, once in a while, I get the wince of almost disgust.

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #100
circhead
Mouseketeer

I get it also - with all the money you've spent going to Disney over the years you could have traveled the globe. I'm basically at the point that I now tell them when you pay for my vacation I'll go where you want me to go other than that I'm going to a place I love being.

I don't care what anyone thinks anymore - I find Disney relaxing and magical.
I take my time doing what I want to do. There is still something so wonderful about Disney for me that it recharges my battery and improves my psyche.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #101
kkolbusz1
Mouseketeer

Love this thread. I grew up going to Disney, 1st time I was 2 & we went every or every other year since then. Was with some girlfriends last week talking about one of them & they were relating one of them not starting smoking again after she has her baby to me never being able to go to disney again, cause Disney is my addiction. I'm like WHAT? Sorry, Disney isn't unhealthy for me & one of them said its not normal for an adult to like Disney as much as I do. Lol! I know people who have way more issues than my like for Disney. We just heard yesterday Disney waived rofr, so we're waiting to close on our purchase into the dvc because my husband & I feel our kids are old enough now to go every year.
We tried breaking away from disney once...went on a rc cruise for our 1 yr anniversary 9 yrs ago. Just not for me. Hurricane season, rocky seas, i got sick...When we got back to the airport i was all upset because i saw the Disney store & that we didnt go. Now we know, why ruin a good thing? You know what you like, stick with it.
kkolbusz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #102
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

Amen

I agree with the posters that it seems to come mostly from people who have never ever been to WDW and think of it in very narrow terms! I've heard it ALL over the years--sometimes gracious, sometimes downright rude--but they also are fascinated by the fact our kids still want to go on vacation with us (and yes, they pay their share). I've learned to not care about the debbie-downers. We are very happy we get to do what we want and we want WaltDisneyWorld
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #103
aylarosie
Mouseketeer

Smile

I am a childcare provider. I care for 6 children in my home,I have 4 grown children and 2 grandsons. Two years ago I decided to start taking my birthday week off in March. I chose to go to Disney World with my husband -no children.You would have thought from peoples reactions I had lost my mind.We had a good time stayed at Poly and used the deluxe meal plan. It was good fun.My husband humored me and enjoyed all the resteraunts. The next year we went to Atlantic beach .The beach was ok but not as much to do as Disney .This year I looked at a lot of differant places .I decided to try POR and eagerly made reservation for all differant resteraunts again a good time.The parents of my daycare rolled their eyes .I tried to tell them how less streesful Disney can be without kids and how I do love children (thankfully ).Also I have been reading Disney stories for 35 = years.This month I have decided to book a 40th Anniversary trip to GrandFloridian for a long weekend. Where else can you enjoy so many differant styles of hotels and resteraunts.I just say each to there own and have fun,Next is my 60th birthday trip next March ,I hope to stay at animal kingdom for that . Nan
aylarosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #104
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylarosie View Post
I am a childcare provider. I care for 6 children in my home,I have 4 grown children and 2 grandsons. Two years ago I decided to start taking my birthday week off in March. I chose to go to Disney World with my husband -no children.You would have thought from peoples reactions I had lost my mind.We had a good time stayed at Poly and used the deluxe meal plan. It was good fun.My husband humored me and enjoyed all the resteraunts. The next year we went to Atlantic beach .The beach was ok but not as much to do as Disney .This year I looked at a lot of differant places .I decided to try POR and eagerly made reservation for all differant resteraunts again a good time.The parents of my daycare rolled their eyes .I tried to tell them how less streesful Disney can be without kids and how I do love children (thankfully ).Also I have been reading Disney stories for 35 = years.This month I have decided to book a 40th Anniversary trip to GrandFloridian for a long weekend. Where else can you enjoy so many differant styles of hotels and resteraunts.I just say each to there own and have fun,Next is my 60th birthday trip next March ,I hope to stay at animal kingdom for that . Nan
All power to ya!
My wife and I took a childless trip to Disney when she turned 30. We had never had a honeymoon really, and she was turning 30, so we did an "adult" trip. Food and Wine Festival, Halloween Horror Nights over at Universal... and yes, Mickey's Not So Scary, just the two of us. We honestly had a blast and only felt the slightest twinge of guilt

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #105
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

it never bothers me that people don't like Disney...it's few and far between that i run into such person anyway.

i get to laugh at my buddy cause we we used to get the business fromt them year after year on 'why do we go back every year'. then they finally took the plunge and have been going every year since. the great part of it all is they go once a year and then he'll say 'that's it for a few years'...then a few months later his wife and kids are begging to go back and he trys to down play it.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: