Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #586
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd78 View Post
Just saw the Dopey Challenge training plan. The plan is the same as the Goofy plan up to week 15. Then in week 16 there are 5 training sessions.
  • Tuesday 20-30 minutes,
  • Thursday 30-45 minutes,
  • Friday Walk 2 miles,
  • Saturday Walk 7 miles,
  • Sunday 17 miles run/walk

Week 17 drops back to the usual 3 sessions (2x30-45 min and a 5 mile on Sat)

Looks like every third week is a 5 session week, peaking in week 25 (17 December) with
  • Tuesday (17 Dec) 20-30 minutes
  • Thursday (19 Dec) 30-45 minutes
  • Friday (20 Dec) Walk 5 miles
  • Saturday (21 Dec) Walk 12 miles
  • Sunday (22 Dec) 26 miles run/walk
Curious where you saw this plan?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #587
mickeyd78
Mouseketeer

On the runDisney website. The 1/2, Full and Goofy plans were posted today. The PDF of the Dopey plan isn't currently there. But if you click on the link for instructions on how to download the plans to your calendar, there is a link to download the Dopey plan to your calendar, which I did.

Head to http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwo...ons2014WDW.pdf
Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
Apr '10 Pop Century
Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
Oct '08 Pop Century
March 2007 - Pop Century
Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
Nov 2000 - Off Site
mickeyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #588
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd78
On the runDisney website. The 1/2, Full and Goofy plans were posted today. The PDF of the Dopey plan isn't currently there. But if you click on the link for instructions on how to download the plans to your calendar, there is a link to download the Dopey plan to your calendar, which I did.

Head to http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwo...ons2014WDW.pdf
Right on, thanks will check it out.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #589
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

I have not looked at his plans before and after reviewing the highest level marathon plan, it is not something I would do. Only 3 days a week of running throughout the plan. And then at the end the taper is strange, I would think you would start to lose fitness by only having 2 light days of running for 2 straight weeks leading to the marathon.

Many better plans out there that I would use to modify for Dopey/Goofy.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #590
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereInFlorida View Post
I have not looked at his plans before and after reviewing the highest level marathon plan, it is not something I would do. Only 3 days a week of running throughout the plan. And then at the end the taper is strange, I would think you would start to lose fitness by only having 2 light days of running for 2 straight weeks leading to the marathon.

Many better plans out there that I would use to modify for Dopey/Goofy.
I do agree on the only 3 days a week being suboptimal, particularly if you are looking for maximum performance.

I disagree with you about the taper, however. Most research I've seen suggests that even three weeks of sitting on one's butt only loses a vanishingly small percentage of total athletic conditioning.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #591
Stroller Boy
'I think it was the immortal words of Socrates who said..I drank what?'

Interesting plan for sure. I've always used them for reference/guidance but found it best to craft my own plan based on my goals and available time to train. I haven't used a Galloway plan but are the times they put in there for cross training ( those that don't specify run/walk)?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #592
dburg30

Most of the Galloway plans are made to be injury free, faster recovery time, and allow you to finish upright. His plans (the ones on the WDW site and for free on his) are more toward casual folks that was to successfully complete <insert race here> His plans can be used for quicker times, but if you are serious about getting faster, no his plans probably arent what you are looking for. I'm sure he didnt even WANT to put out a plan for the Dopey, but it appears there is one.

YMMV, and running is more a personal thing for most of us. So what works for one, may not work for the next ,or the next may not have the same goals. I am doing Dopey for me, for no one else I dont care if I finish last.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #593
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I'm just skeptical that Jeff thinks this is an okay plan for someone who has been running for six months.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #594
dburg30

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwo...hallenge14.pdf

and there is the pdf for it.. not sure I saw it listed anywhere..
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #595
swimfly
Mouseketeer

I know Galloway was completely against the Goofy in 2010. This was 2 years before he became the rundisney coach. The plans on the site are really for beginner runners and/or injury-free focus. He does have other plans and personalized coaching available.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #596
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I know Galloway was completely against the Goofy in 2010. This was 2 years before he became the rundisney coach. The plans on the site are really for beginner runners and/or injury-free focus. He does have other plans and personalized coaching available.
Indeed, no coach would prescribe 3 days of progressively longer runs leading up to a marathon...that is just dopey.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #597
dburg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I'm just skeptical that Jeff thinks this is an okay plan for someone who has been running for six months.
Hard to tell what he 100% thinks, but since he is a rD person, I'm sure part of it is he has to come up with plans.. That being said if someone puts in the time for 6 months leading up to the start of training (like myself) I think it's totally doable. I may get a rude awakening but I am training to do a 1/2 in august, a full in October, then the dopey. After high school, like many others I got lazy, packed on the pounds and basically did nothing. Couple of years ago, I got in shape lost 60 lbs, was feeling really good. Then I started making excuses, put weight back on. Last summer into fall I started thinking ahead and slowly started exercising, after the first of the year I started jogging some. Feb I started the c25k program. First of this month I started the beginner marathon training program. I have been strict on making sure to do the training that is shown, and only pushing where it suggests it. I figure that this plan has been around for a while and has been successful for many. I'm not planning on winning, I'm not even planning on being competitive except with myself. So I guess I will be a good test as to if it's a good idea or not. I've been telling everyone that it's going to be like the opening of ABC's Wide World of Sports used to be.. just not sure if it will be the "Thrill of Victory" or the "Agony of Defeat"

I know I am planning on everything I can to improve where I can, take care of myself, and try not to overtrain and risk injury. No matter what I try there is always the chance of something happening. That goes for 'new' runners all the way up to 'seasoned' runners.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #598
roomthreeseventeen

It is certainly possible to go from 0 to marathon in less than a year, it's just very likely to end up in injury.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #599
dburg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It is certainly possible to go from 0 to marathon in less than a year, it's just very likely to end up in injury.
It's also possible to have been running for a while and at anytime come up with an injury no? I guess I just need to do what I think I can do and not worry about what others think I can or cannot do? So with that, I have my thoughts and others, like yourself have yours. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #600
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
It's also possible to have been running for a while and at anytime come up with an injury no? I guess I just need to do what I think I can do and not worry about what others think I can or cannot do? So with that, I have my thoughts and others, like yourself have yours. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Seriously, no need to be defensive. We're all on the same side here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: