Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I wanted to stop in Epcot and grab a beer on route to the finish line...I was so sure I would do it. However when it came right down to it, I passed the place where I could buy a beer or frozen drink. I just wanted to keep moving forward to cross that finish line. Really, my mind had it by then.

My plan for 2014 would be to enjoy it more...or friggen try! Stop and buy a soda at least.

Banannas yes. I buy my banannas the day before. I stay at the Dolphin and they seemed to have an abundance of them at any time of the day anyway.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

If I were to do it again (I'm not), I would do a little more off road running. Because I started in the last corral and the roads were crowded, I ended up running in the grass quite a bit. I would have liked my legs to be a little more used to that.

I did a handful of back to back runs and I think it helped me both mentally and physically. I woke up strangely sore the morning of the marathon but I knew I could press through because I had done it during training. We were fortunate to have a beautiful summer last year so I made it a point to do a lot of running then because I knew that once Nov and Dec came, I was not going to want to run 20+ miles in the NW rainy months.

I wore compression sleeves during the marathon and there's no way I could have run without them. Highly recommend getting some and train with them. And add me to the "bring two pairs of shoes" camp. Have some chocolate milk right after the races. One of the best recovery drinks out there.

Someone commented about not getting to the start area so early. I second that. I think I was on the first bus both days from SOG. Uh, yea. Not necessary. Could have slept in a little more.

We went to the after party at Downtown Disney and had a really good time. Great way to get out and walk around and be with other superstars like you!!

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
RussTKD
Mouseketeer

I think I'm going to spend my taper time conditioning myself to waking up ungodly early so the sleep time won't be as much of a factor.

And in training, I'll do two runs during the week of between 3-6 miles, and whatever long run I have scheduled for Sunday, I'll do half of Saturday to get my legs used to running tired.

This whole thing is nuts. I can't wait.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
kmg148
DIS Veteran

I didn't do the Goofy, just the marathon, but walking around the parks was one of the best post race decisions I made. I was in the least amount of pain I have even been in after a race.

I also know this isn't Goofy...but eating a huge lunch at Crystal Palace after a half marathon was a really bad decision. I felt terrible.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
RussTKD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I didn't do the Goofy, just the marathon, but walking around the parks was one of the best post race decisions I made. I was in the least amount of pain I have even been in after a race.

I also know this isn't Goofy...but eating a huge lunch at Crystal Palace after a half marathon was a really bad decision. I felt terrible.
That's a bad decision regardless. :D
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #21
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

I agree on the 2 plans for 2 races. I went into Goofy this year trying to PR on the half and walk run with my Mom for the full. I PR'd on the half just like I wanted too and ended up running then walking with friends for the Full. By the end of both days I just wanted to sleep, the time change was super hard on me. But I think the best thing I did was pushed my Grandma through Epcot after the Full. I was moving but also had something to lean against. The CM's joked that I had my walker.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Stroller Boy
'I think it was the immortal words of Socrates who said..I drank what?'

Goofy in 2011. Worst thing I did was to get a massage post race in the tent. I have incredibly tight calves no matter what I do and one of them locked up from the massage. It was pretty brutal. I spent most of the night at the expo looking for compression socks and k-tape. I limped off the bus marathon morning as people stared at me wondering why I was even going to attempt the marathon. I pushed through it though. No post half massage for me for dopey 2014! Of course, I'm in much better mental and physical shape now than I was then anyhow, but that one has left a scar on my memory.

Pre race meals are important like the others are mentioning. Know what you can handle and go with that. I ate a pretty greasy sandwich at SSR evening prior to the marathon in 2012 and it plagued me in the morning for sure!

I've always said that the toughest thing about Disney Marathon Weekend is the early mornings. Perhaps trying to get into that routine the week prior would help...I just can't get used to mornings no matter what I do...last couple of years though, I haven't had the nerve issues that I had the first few years so I e been able to sleep regardless. Just lucky I suppose.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Since this is our first Goofyrace, I am so happy that I found this thread! It will help us so much to know what to and not to do.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
lmillercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
JimB.
DIS Veteran

"What were your mistakes from your first Goofy challenge?"............

Registering for it.

Which then leads to the question "why did I do it a second time??"
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB. View Post
"What were your mistakes from your first Goofy challenge?"............

Registering for it.

Which then leads to the question "why did I do it a second time??"
Lol. We are probably a wee bit crazy.

Chocolate milk. I had a large bottle of that in my hotel fridge at the ready! Also have a pair of scissors handy in case your top is stuck to you so tight you cannot get it off let alone over your shoulders. I had to cut myself out of a perfectly lovely $45.00 Nike tank....
Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
ccgates
Earning My Ears

Even going into Goofy in January slightly injured, I wouldn't change much from the weekend.

Two sets of clothes/two pairs of shoes shouldn't be optional, definitely a requirement. You wouldn't necessarily need to wear the second pair of shoes, just make sure if you have them. If I hadn't brought mine, there would have been a 110% chance of rain.

We went to DTD for dinner before the marathon and didn't get back until after 8:30, which cut down on the amount of sleep I was able to get, but the fact the Packers were playing while I was trying to sleep was the larger cause of restlessness than the marathon I had to run. I'd definitely make sure that I got back from dinner earlier and do everything in my power to make sure my NFL team doesn't have a playoff game. (While I'm trying to sleep, not that they miss the playoffs.)

Only other thing I regret was dancing with my wife and sister at the Biergarten during dinner after the marathon. I thought my Achilles were going to explode afterwards...

1/2s - Madison '06, Karner Blue Butterfly '08, Haunted Hustle '12, Tyranena Beer Run '12, WDW '13, Madison Mini '13, DL '13
Full - Madison '07, Chicago '08, Green Bay '11, Flying Pig '12, WDW '13
ccgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

I have not run a marathon in more than 5 years, and I have never run two races this long on back-to-back days, but it looks like I will be doing the Goofy Challenge in January. I noticed the Dopey challenge but it is sold out (besides, just thinking about waking up that early 4 days in a row makes me tired ).

I have a few friends running the half with me. They are new to running, so it will be a run/walk experience. That should leave me with plenty in the tank for the marathon the next day.

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences from previous years.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
ReindeerMom
Earning My Ears

Goofy 2013 was my first trip to WDW. I was like a kid in a candy store, jumping from park to park, and never bothered to try and adjust to the 3 hour time difference. I walked the 5K with my husband on Friday, then spent the day at Epcot. On Saturday morning, I was Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, and Dopey all rolled into one. My back was so sore from standing in lines at the parks, I could not even drag my disrespectful self off of the ground of my corral for the National Anthem. And then, less than 5 miles into the Half, I took a nasty fall. I went home with 4 medals, a scar on my face, and a newfound love for all things Disney. Lesson learned: Respect the distance(s).

Of course I registered for Dopey this year. I will forgo the park tickets and all of the distractions and just relax and get myself prepared for those early wake-up calls and long runs.
ReindeerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Yes save the park visits for after the races I would suggest. As far as that dreaded 330am wake up call...here is what it did for me...

The night before the 5k race I was all awake and excited. The alarm went off and I was gung ho.
This repeated for the night of the half marathon but wasn't so gung ho on that saturday morning alarm bell. My nerves were at me because I knew this was the start of the toughest thing my body has ever done.
After the half I had a massage at the Yacht/Beach club and having a massage between the two races worked for me...I was so friggen nervous about doing the full the next morning because beside it being the Goofy challange, it was also my first full. Yes that was dope or dopey.
That night after the half and before full I was spent. I went to bed so early, so tired that I got a really good nights sleep. By the time that dreaded way too early alarm went off I was ready...I felt rested...I felt good.

So if you are doing the Goofy or Dopey, I will tell you that you will be tired on saturday morning no matter what but you should be so tired that night that you will go to bed early and get yourself a good night sleep for the full.

My brother travels with his kids and my father takes care of them that night so he and his wife can sleep and relax.

I think having enough sleep for a 26.2 mile run/jog/walk or crawl is the most important rest you will need for this ride.

...and stay on this disboards....remember there is that whole mental thing you have to be prepared for too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: