Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #46
StephMK
DIS Veteran
 
StephMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: TBD
Posts: 4,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Also were the cops "called" or do they already have a resource police officer at the school?

All of our middle and high schools here have a full time resource police officer on staff all day, everyday. He carries a gun at all times.
True, and at some schools, I can see how they would need to get one student under control quickly if he was really losing it.
__________________
DD DD DS
StephMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #47
momontheright
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Parents shouldn't use their children as a way to send political messages.
And let's add that teachers should not use their classroom to do the same.
momontheright is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #48
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Parents shouldn't use their children as a way to send political messages.
What makes you assume the kid didn't choose the shirt himself.

As to those who believe the shirt was intentionally inflammatory, I find that a huge stretch as well. Wearing a shirt you like doesn't mean you're automatically looking for a reaction from anyone else. If my kid wore a Justin Bieber shirt, undoubtedly, someone would respond with "Bieber sucks!". That doesn't mean that wearing the shirt was an attempt to draw that reaction.

I won't argue whether the shirt violates the rules. Clearly the school says it does and that's that. But to assume its anything more than its just a shirt out of this kid's closet is just that - an assumption.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Handbooks around here are very clear that no guns, drugs, foul language, or gestures are allowed. If the cops were called, there was a reason for it more than just a minor argument with a teacher.
I still have a problem with the bogus charge. If he did something to warrant a disorderly conduct charge, assault, or some other defineable crime (and I'm not saying he didn't), then fine charge him. Otherwise, what the........
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #50
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
What makes you assume the kid didn't choose the shirt himself.

As to those who believe the shirt was intentionally inflammatory, I find that a huge stretch as well. Wearing a shirt you like doesn't mean you're automatically looking for a reaction from anyone else. If my kid wore a Justin Bieber shirt, undoubtedly, someone would respond with "Bieber sucks!". That doesn't mean that wearing the shirt was an attempt to draw that reaction.

I won't argue whether the shirt violates the rules. Clearly the school says it does and that's that. But to assume its anything more than its just a shirt out of this kid's closet is just that - an assumption.
He's an 8th grader, that makes him 13ish? Even if he wanted to wear the shirt, the parents should have known it wasn't appropriate for school. Regardless of what their views are, middle school isn't the place for it. The shirt makes a political statement, one that is a hot button issue right now.

If the teacher tells you to turn the shirt inside out, you do it. You don't argue. You don't have to agree and have your parents take issue with it later but, you do what the teacher wants out of respect. That fact that the dad is defending the kid's arguing with the teacher makes me believe he is using the kid for his political views.

Is Beiber a hot button , national debate right now?
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #51
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 11,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Was he in a gifted class? Both of my gifties like to express themselves through fashion. It's part of their gifts.
Just so you know, your schtick played itself out a few weeks ago.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #52
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
He's an 8th grader, that makes him 13ish? Even if he wanted to wear the shirt, the parents should have known it wasn't appropriate for school. Regardless of what their views are, middle school isn't the place for it. The shirt makes a political statement, one that is a hot button issue right now.

If the teacher tells you to turn the shirt inside out, you do it. You don't argue. You don't have to agree and have your parents take issue with it later but, you do what the teacher wants out of respect. That fact that the dad is defending the kid's arguing with the teacher makes me believe he is using the kid for his political views.

Is Beiber a hot button , national debate right now?
I'm not going to argue what is or isn't appropriate school wear. I'm simply saying that you're making a pretty big leap about the reason the shirt was worn.

As for Bieber, well yeah actually around here he's a much hotter topic of debate than the NRA
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #53
plutotek
DIS Veteran
 
plutotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 1,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
If the teacher tells you to turn the shirt inside out, you do it. You don't argue.
Actually, back in the day, a situation like this is exactly a case in which I was instructed to disobey by my parents; more specifically, if a situation arose such as this, I was to say no, and that I would like to go to the office and call my parents, and make this request in front of witnesses. Teachers are not the end all/be all, and having had too many experiences w/them trying to abuse their powers, my son was also given those same instructions.

I'm not a 'gun nut' nor am I in favor of knee-jerk policies regarding gun control, so based on the facts as presented, I don't see his shirt as being disruptive unless the teacher made it so.
__________________
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
plutotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #54
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran
 
A_Princess'_Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Actually, back in the day, a situation like this is exactly a case in which I was instructed to disobey by my parents; more specifically, if a situation arose such as this, I was to say no, and that I would like to go to the office and call my parents, and make this request in front of witnesses. Teachers are not the end all/be all, and having had too many experiences w/them trying to abuse their powers, my son was also given those same instructions.

I'm not a 'gun nut' nor am I in favor of knee-jerk policies regarding gun control, so based on the facts as presented, I don't see his shirt as being disruptive unless the teacher made it so.
Or unless the student made it a disruptive issue, either before or after being asked to turn it inside out or take it off.

It sounds like the issue wasn't just the shirt, but the student's behavior. Because the school district is bound by confidentiality, they cannot give "their side" but we have no reason to believe that the student's "story" is anything more than just that, a story. If he'd have taken the approach that your parents taught you to take instead of apparently becoming belligerent to the point that the police were involved, my guess is that this never would have escalated.
__________________
DW Me DD DS
BWV 5/22/10-5/30/10 & 3/12/11-3/19/11, AKV 11/18/11-11/27/11, BWV 2/23/12-2/27/12, BLT 3/16/12-3/25/12, Many trips before, too many to try to count
A_Princess'_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #55
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Actually, back in the day, a situation like this is exactly a case in which I was instructed to disobey by my parents; more specifically, if a situation arose such as this, I was to say no, and that I would like to go to the office and call my parents, and make this request in front of witnesses. Teachers are not the end all/be all, and having had too many experiences w/them trying to abuse their powers, my son was also given those same instructions.

I'm not a 'gun nut' nor am I in favor of knee-jerk policies regarding gun control, so based on the facts as presented, I don't see his shirt as being disruptive unless the teacher made it so.
Why assume it must have been the teacher that made it disruptive? The kid and his dad aren't going to go to the media and say he was disruptive or belligerent. There would be no story if they did. The school can't say anything about what happened so all you have is one side.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,090

True, no telling who brought up the shirt. We don't even know what time of day this happened, do we? Did he go all day incident free? Or was this 5 minutes int period one?
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
gert
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 143

I'm a county over from Logan county (where this took place). It's very much a pro-gun area. Most of the teachers are probably hunters, along with the middle school students. A pro-NRA shirt would have been allowed, had it not also depicted a gun. It's the gun on the t-shirt that is against policy, just as a pot leaf or joint depicted on a shirt would be. Every year, parents & students have to sign the handbook affirming that they are aware of and agree to adhere to these policies. There's another side to this story that the school isn't allowed to tell.
gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #58
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I'm a county over from Logan county (where this took place). It's very much a pro-gun area. Most of the teachers are probably hunters, along with the middle school students. A pro-NRA shirt would have been allowed, had it not also depicted a gun. It's the gun on the t-shirt that is against policy, just as a pot leaf or joint depicted on a shirt would be. Every year, parents & students have to sign the handbook affirming that they are aware of and agree to adhere to these policies. There's another side to this story that the school isn't allowed to tell.
The handbook says "no guns". I gathered it didn't.

The school just needs to show that is the policy. And that it wasn't discretionary.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #59
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,316

I had a 5 yo wear a t-shirt with a skull and crossbones to Sunday school a few weeks ago. Sometimes parents don't think or just don't pay attention to what their kids wear.

Our district has a dress policy from kindergarten thru 12th grade. Each fall and spring parents and students are reminded of it. By 8th this kid should have the thing memorized. Sounds like he wanted to push the envelope, similar to a girl wearing hootchie shorts to school at the 1st sign of spring.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #60
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
similar to a girl wearing hootchie shorts to school at the 1st sign of spring.
The 6th Grade girls got talked to this week at our school. And one of the girls announced, "We wouldn't even be having this talk if "E" hadn't worn her hooker boots today"
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.