Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #1951
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Laundry change

Moving on to something less controversial --

We had a note in our room last night that the laundry facilities have been renovated. The only way you will be able to pay is credit cards and debit cards. Money (cash or change) will not work. Your KTTW card will not work.

ETA the word"less" to the first line.

Last edited by pwdebbie; 04-21-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1952
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Wink Thanks and new question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The work will be on the check-in lobby only, and will be from 15 May until around mid-July. Nothing to be at all worried about (even if you are there during that time) as checkin processes will be moved over to the old Bonfamille's Cafe area on the other side of the main atrium.

Andre
Thanks for the response. Maybe it will be finished by Sept. I love that you are the PO expert. I have a new question as this is our first foray into the moderates and PO. I read in this thread somewhere that all the corner rooms were king size beds. Do you know this to be true? I normally request a top floor corner room (as we stay 9 nights and like it to be quiet, which this affords us) but we need the two beds for our family of 4). Does FQ have 2 queens in at least some of it's corner rooms and do you know where I could get a schematic of the room configurations for each room so I can figure out where I might want to request? Thanks.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #1953
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
Thanks for the response. Maybe it will be finished by Sept. I love that you are the PO expert. I have a new question as this is our first foray into the moderates and PO. I read in this thread somewhere that all the corner rooms were king size beds. Do you know this to be true? I normally request a top floor corner room (as we stay 9 nights and like it to be quiet, which this affords us) but we need the two beds for our family of 4). Does FQ have 2 queens in at least some of it's corner rooms and do you know where I could get a schematic of the room configurations for each room so I can figure out where I might want to request? Thanks.
You can find maps showing where all the various types of rooms are at http://portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php. And actually, it looks like all king rooms are corner rooms, rather than all corners are kings.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1954
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
You can find maps showing where all the various types of rooms are at And actually, it looks like all king rooms are corner rooms, rather than all corners are kings.

You rule! I followed your link and got that information. You are right, the kings do all seem to be in corners but at least all corners are not kings! Now the task will be to cut out the buildings, make a mock up so my directionally challenged mind can figure out what I am looking at (on paper, I just can't figure it out ! Thank you so much for your help. I love this board. BTW, have you stayed at POFQ and do you prefer it to RS? I lament over our choice but as it was free dining and seems a bit more quiet, I thought this is the one for us.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #1955
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I was under the impression that this was for folks who are physically disabled. Dh is invisibly disabled.
I think they will try to help with any kind of Special Needs requests, not just the more obvious things like wheelchair accessible rooms, visual alarm strobes for the hearing impaired, etc.

But even so, I would still have hoped the front desk would be more empathetic in trying to find you a more suitable room.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1956
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The work will be on the check-in lobby only, and will be from 15 May until around mid-July.
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Maybe it will be finished by Sept.
I've just checked my calendar and discovered that September is some time after mid-July, so I'd say your chances are pretty good...

I see your question about corener rooms has already been answered. At POFQ, all of the King Bed rooms are located on corners - but there are also plenty more corner rooms which have the standard 2 x queen bed layouts.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #1957
Hootch
DIS Veteran

Our first

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi

We have booked to stay at POFQ for 14 nights, all very exciting!!

Is it true that unless you pay extra, you will get a view of the car park? I really don't want to look at that for 2 weeks, but can't justify the expense of a garden/pool view room on top of our already scarily expensive holiday!!

I've seen from the map that some buildings are not adjacent to the parking area, would it be worth trying to request one of them or are they only for people who have paid for an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the advice
stay at POFQ was in Bldg 4 with a room facing the parking lot. We hardly noticed it. There is quite a bit of space between the building and the lot. POFQ has great landscaping. There are mature trees between the building and lot making it a hard to see.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #1958
labfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Moving on to something controversial --

We had a note in our room last night that the laundry facilities have been renovated. The only way you will be able to pay is credit cards and debit cards. Money (cash or change) will not work. Your KTTW card will not work.
This is not good news. Guess we won't be able to do any laundry if we happen to need to. I don't like bringing credit cards with me.
It makes no sense to not be able to pay by cash.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #1959
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfan View Post
This is not good news. Guess we won't be able to do any laundry if we happen to need to. I don't like bringing credit cards with me.
Actually I think the new RFID resorts have already been doing this and paying with thier KTTK cards/bands. I willing to bet you can use your KTTK card to pay and then pay cash when you pay for your room (if you have charging privliges). If not then you might check and see if you can pay using a gift card.

I usually use cash to pay for the washers as well but if not then I'll make do.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #1960
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfan View Post
It makes sense. Disney now doesn't have to have someone fill the machines with change or empty them out. They don't have to deal with broken money acceptors or with people wanting change for their 100 so they can do laundry. Less labor for them.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1961
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It makes sense. Disney now doesn't have to have someone fill the machines with change or empty them out. They don't have to deal with broken money acceptors or with people wanting change for their 100 so they can do laundry. Less labor for them.
Not to mention the many machines that have been stolen over the years all over WDW with the cash inside, and just to replace the machine is $2,500.

Plus, FQ now has nice new machines and a new tile floor
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1962
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help. I love this board. BTW, have you stayed at POFQ and do you prefer it to RS? I lament over our choice but as it was free dining and seems a bit more quiet, I thought this is the one for us.
I've stayed at both, and it's a tough call. Like a lot of people, I do like that POFQ is so compact (one of my trips I was in room 7103, which is probably the furthest you can get from the lobby, but it still wasn't that far to walk.) On the other hand, I love the theming in POR (especially the AB side), and I don't mind not being particularly close to the lobby because it's quiet and the grounds are beautiful. I do like the decor of the POR food court better (it's not that I don't like the Mardi Gras masks, I just really like the rustic decor on the POR side), but POFQ has beignets. Not that you can't go to POFQ for beignets if you're staying at POR, of course.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #1963
nydancemom
Mouseketeer

My daughter (celebrating her 24th birthday) and I just returned from our first ever stay in a Disney resort (have always stayed off property but used AAA discount and decided to really celebrate) and LOVED POFQ! I chose this resort based on reading many posts on this disboard because it sounded like the perfect resort for me (I have a bad back, and often suffer from tendinitis in my hip, so have difficulty walking so liked the idea of a small resort). I had requested building 7 third floor, and had paid for garden view, hoping for a quiet stay. We were upgraded at check-in to river view, corner room, #7341 (two queen beds). It was absolutely the room I would have requested if I'd wanted to pay extra for the river view, so to be upgraded was such a treat The room was beautiful, we loved the decor, and it was very clean and we were well taken care of by mousekeeping. We loved seeing the boats pass by and loved our ride to POR, loved hearing the horses clomping by with the carriages, loved the pool and even with my back issues, which usually prevent me from doing any waterslides, I could even enjoy this one, my daughter loved her beignets, we watched Tangled on the lawn one night which we had never seen, toasted marshmallows at the campfire, ate lunch one day at POFQ and dinner one night at POR. Overall we loved everything about this resort! I'll definitely stay there again
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #1964
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Actually I think the new RFID resorts have already been doing this and paying with thier KTTK cards/bands. I willing to bet you can use your KTTK card to pay and then pay cash when you pay for your room (if you have charging privliges).
At the moment you can't use KttW cards to charge laundry facilities to your room, just credit or debit cards.

I gather this is a six month test period though, and there are currently no immediate plans to install the same equipment over at Riverside, so maybe they'll be able to take guest reactions into account? With Magic Bands just around the corner (although it does seem to be a somewhat longer curve than expected at the moment...) you'd think room-charge payment would be an option to consider; maybe the technology isn't ready to be left as a stand-alone unit, without CM supervision, yet?

Andre

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #1965
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfan

I think it's great news. I hate having to carry cash. Being able to carry a single card with me is much more convenient! We're rapidly becoming a cashless society, and moving to this type of technology just means Disney is willing to change to stay current with the times!

You could always bring your bank card, so that you could still do laundry!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: