Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #1906
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
You can look at the maps of the individual buildings on PortOrleans.org to see how the Standard view, Garden View, Water/Pool View, River View are placed in each building and how those buildings are situated in relation to the parking lots. I suppose you could study those maps and request what you thought would be the 'best' standard view available, but it's only a request. Pixie dust upgrades are much less likely to happen on a longer stay. I would upgrade to Garden View if it's that important to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards
Andre posted a picture here of part of building one that's considered standard view, but there's actually a row of tree separating that side of the building from the parking lot.

Also, based on Andre's maps, there are some rooms in building 3 and 4 that, while they do face the parking lot, are separated from the parking lot by the grounds. Those might be good options if you don't want your room opening directly onto the parking lot.

Last edited by siskaren; 04-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1907
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I know that it's already been mentioned but I thought that I'd post anyway.....we received a letter today from the General Manager of Disney's Port Orleans Resort regarding our May 21, 2013 stay. The letter read as follows:

Dear Port Orleans Resort-French Quarter Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Walt Disney World resort at your vacation destination.

In order for Disney's Port Orleans Resort to continue to flourish as a magical destination, it is necessary for us to make enhancements from time to time. Therefore, please pardon our appearance as we are currently in the process of refurbishing the French Quarter Lobby for your future enjoyment. We expect the refurbishment to be complete in mid-July.

Please be aware that you may see or hear some of the enhancement work during your stay. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Thank you and we look forward to your upcoming stay. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation letter.

Sincerely,

General Manager, Disney's Port Orleans Resort

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 04-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.
mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #1908
christygobar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Will she not sleep in a regular bed? They will give you bed rails to put on the Queen so she doesn't roll off. Or if you have two adults who each have a bed will she not share with one adult?

Bingo, the second one DH isn't going on this trip - my mom is coming with me, so we will each have one of the beds. Now, realistically, DD will get in bed with me in the middle of the night but I generally don't care for bed sharing with her as a whole :/

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (34); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (brand new!)
christygobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1909
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I know that it's already been mentioned but I thought that I'd post anyway.....we received a letter today from the General Manager of Disney's Port Orleans Resort regarding our May 21, 2013 stay. The letter read as follows:

Dear Port Orleans Resort-French Quarter Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Walt Disney World resort at your vacation destination.

In order for Disney's Port Orleans Resort to continue to flourish as a magical destination, it is necessary for us to make enhancements from time to time. Therefore, please pardon our appearance as we are currently in the process of refurbishing the French Quarter Lobby for your future enjoyment. We expect the refurbishment to be complete in mid-July.

Please be aware that you may see or hear some of the enhancement work during your stay. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Thank you and we look forward to your upcoming stay. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation letter.

Sincerely,

General Manager, Disney's Port Orleans Resort
We received the same letter this past Saturday about our stay May 22-27.
2014 - WDW - May 27-June 1 - POR

RobertLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #1910
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Here now. Check in was an ordeal, switched rooms three times and still not satisfied but dh was fading quickly (he is invisibly disabled) and he said to just take it. Online check in really messed us up. So, we have none of our requests, including the request for a quiet room so dh can rest. We ended up in a handicap room which we don't need but I love it and will book handicap in the future. So much safer for older people! We were sent an "apology" gift tote by management with water and snacks, which was nice.

Last edited by pwdebbie; 04-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #1911
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Here now. Check in was an ordeal, switched rooms three times and still not satisfied but dh was fading quickly (he is invisibly disabled) and he said to just take it. Online check in really messed us up. So, we have none of our requests, including the request for a quiet room so dh can rest. We ended up in a handicap room which we don't need but I love it and will book handicap inmthe future. So much safer for older people! We were sent an "apology" gift tote by management with water and snacks, which was nice.
Oh no!! What was wrong with the rooms?

I hope it begins to go better for ya'll.
BridgetR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #1912
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here now. Check in was an ordeal, switched rooms three times and still not satisfied but dh was fading quickly (he is invisibly disabled) and he said to just take it. Online check in really messed us up. So, we have none of our requests, including the request for a quiet room so dh can rest. We ended up in a handicap room which we don't need but I love it and will book handicap inmthe future. So much safer for older people! We were sent an "apology" gift tote by management with water and snacks, which was nice.
Oh no! I'm so sorry but so happy management sent you a little gift! It's the first I've heard in awhile of management trying to do something for guests!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012

bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #1913
JerseyDevils
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
The last time I stayed at POFQ in 2011, I booked standard view but was given a river view room at check-in.
Yea, that happened to us to, the last 2 years...Hoping that it happens again in 9 days!!!
5/5/11-5/14/11 @ POFQ
5/3/12-5/12/12 @ POFQ 10 days is never enough!!
4/25/13-5/5/13 @ POFQ So we'll do 11 this time.

Me , DW , DS (10) , DD (5) , DS (2)
JerseyDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1914
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie
Sorry for your ordeal, but please remember room requests are just requests. There is no guarantee you will get all or any of them.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

Last edited by skriegerjr; 04-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.
skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #1915
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you've had such an ordeal getting a room. Hopefully, the hubby was able to get a really good rest and things are looking up.

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #1916
amandals2007
DIS Veteran

Yea they do not guarantee requests, but it was nice they tried moving you three times...
**5 visits off premise Disney World 96-00**Disney Land-01**Off Premise WDW-02**Disney Cruise Summer-03**Off Premise WDW -Summer 04**Friends Time Share WDW-Thanksgiving 05**Port Orleans F.Q. Thanksgiving-06**P.O.F.Q-Aug 07**P.O.F.Q. August 08**DisneyLand-May 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 2010**Disney Land-June 2011**P.O.F.Q.-September 2011**Disney Land-July 2012**P.O.F.Q-December 2012**P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2013**

**Next Trip-P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2014**
amandals2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #1917
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
How did on line check in mess you up? Not that I am a fan of it either. But I'm curious. I found myself downgraded the last time I used it. Note it was the last time I used it, I don't bother anymore.

As others have pointed out, requests are just that, requests. There is no guarantee you will get all or even any of them met.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #1918
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

The problem was that they DID grant my request, lol. I clicked on first floor when doing online check in by mistake. I wanted third floor (which isn't even an option) because it would be quieter. Once clicked, it can't be unclicked. Sending a fax and calling directly did not change things. So we were placed in a first floor connecting room. I was ok ith the room location (building 7) but not the fact that it was connecting. I have read on the DIS comments about how you can hear everything in the next room when they are connecting. Dh would be in bad shape if our neighbors had a crying baby. So I asked for a non-connecting room and explained that noise was an issue and they gave us a pool view room. Not good for midday naps. So they found us a third room - on the corner directly across from the food court. Not quiet at all but dh was starting to fade and he said to just take it. Besides, you can't get any closer to the beignets he loves. That's what sold him on this room. He is napping now as I type. Last night was pretty noisy until about 11, but we are settled in and have no intention of asking to change. I am thinking I should have just been content with the first room.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1919
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
The problem was that they DID grant my request, lol. I clicked on first floor when doing online check in by mistake. I wanted third floor (which isn't even an option) because it would be quieter. Once clicked, it can't be unclicked. Sending a fax and calling directly did not change things. So we were placed in a first floor connecting room. I was ok ith the room location (building 7) but not the fact that it was connecting. I have read on the DIS comments about how you can hear everything in the next room when they are connecting. Dh would be in bad shape if our neighbors had a crying baby. So I asked for a non-connecting room and explained that noise was an issue and they gave us a pool view room. Not good for midday naps. So they found us a third room - on the corner directly across from the food court. Not quiet at all but dh was starting to fade and he said to just take it. Besides, you can't get any closer to the beignets he loves. That's what sold him on this room. He is napping now as I type. Last night was pretty noisy until about 11, but we are settled in and have no intention of asking to change. I am thinking I should have just been content with the first room.
It sounds like they bent over backwards to help but nothing was good enough. I hope the rest of your trip is magical!

NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #1920
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Here's my suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi

We have booked to stay at POFQ for 14 nights, all very exciting!!

Is it true that unless you pay extra, you will get a view of the car park? I really don't want to look at that for 2 weeks, but can't justify the expense of a garden/pool view room on top of our already scarily expensive holiday!!

I've seen from the map that some buildings are not adjacent to the parking area, would it be worth trying to request one of them or are they only for people who have paid for an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the advice
We go every year for 9 nights. We are in the same situation; when you stay that long, the little extra for preferred rooms adds up. What I have done is put in a request on my reservation for specific buildings and even specific room numbers (we have been there numerous times so I know which rooms I like). Even when we have not paid for it, they have been wonderful to give me the requested rooms. I always send a letter too about a month before check in reiterating the request and why (the long stay, the need for quiet etc). The couple of times they placed us in terrible locations, the resort was very kind and moved us. But I suggest taking these steps first and you will hopefully get a room you want. Look at the maps and schematics of the property and give them a few options so they can try to accomodate you. Good luck.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Sept or Nov. Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: