Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1891
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Is French Quarter the place to be?

According to our Disney ticker, we are coming to POFQ in 5 months and 1 day. We've always stayed at value. I am lamenting about having booked FQ over RS. Is that the right choice? We don't want overwhelming and without paying for upgraded room, most likely wouldn't be in a plantation house. Oh, the lamenting I do over Disney decisions.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1892
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622 View Post
Try using a hat next time my DH and DD4 had a blast catching them!
Great idea! Thanks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #1893
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
According to our Disney ticker, we are coming to POFQ in 5 months and 1 day. We've always stayed at value. I am lamenting about having booked FQ over RS. Is that the right choice? We don't want overwhelming and without paying for upgraded room, most likely wouldn't be in a plantation house. Oh, the lamenting I do over Disney decisions.
I have stayed at RS twice & it's a big resort if you haven't paid for a preferred room you can still request a mansion to keep from getting a room in alligator bayou but AB is actually quite nice since the refurb.. But there is always the chance you'll be pretty far from main building since you will have a standard room. With POFQ you won't have to worry about that since its smaller

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #1894
christygobar
Mouseketeer

I am finding very little info about rollaway beds, and what I am finding seems to be conflicting. In a standard view, 2 double bed room (2 adults, one toddler), would we be able to request a rollaway at POFQ? If so, cost?

We have a Shrunks toddler bed and I have no problem bringing it, but will opt out of the additional luggage if we know we can get the extra bed and put the mattress on the floor for my toddler.

Thanks!!

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (<1)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #1895
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

POFQ has queen beds and they will give you a pack and play for a child under 3...no rollaway beds....you could bring a blowup mattress but it will be crowded. They will give you bed rails if you want those
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1896
christygobar
Mouseketeer

Thank you DD is sleeping in toddler beds and twin beds and wouldn't be happy in a PnP any longer. She's never liked them anyways - I think they just aren't as comfortable as home.

I think we will figure out how to squeeze the air mattress in there and we can just set it upright during the mornings and evenings to get it out of the way. It doesn't weigh hardly anything. I appreciate the response!

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (<1)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1897
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christygobar View Post
Thank you DD is sleeping in toddler beds and twin beds and wouldn't be happy in a PnP any longer. She's never liked them anyways - I think they just aren't as comfortable as home.

I think we will figure out how to squeeze the air mattress in there and we can just set it upright during the mornings and evenings to get it out of the way. It doesn't weigh hardly anything. I appreciate the response!
Will she not sleep in a regular bed? They will give you bed rails to put on the Queen so she doesn't roll off. Or if you have two adults who each have a bed will she not share with one adult?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #1898
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't really see the difference, if both appeal to you visually, between RS and FQ.

However, there can be a significant difference in prices, as RS usually qualifies for discounts, while FQ does not qualify for the same discounts. If you have a PIN, there is probably no difference in price. But if you don't and are applying a regular discount, likely you could save a few hundred dollars switching to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
I have stayed at RS twice & it's a big resort if you haven't paid for a preferred room you can still request a mansion to keep from getting a room in alligator bayou but AB is actually quite nice since the refurb.. But there is always the chance you'll be pretty far from main building since you will have a standard room. With POFQ you won't have to worry about that since its smaller

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
The biggest distance between the main building and a resort room is less than 500 yards.

The biggest distance between the main building a resort room at POFQ is over 300 yards.

I personally don't find any of these distances daunting, it should take no more than 5 minutes to walk to the main building. Unless you are a slower walker.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1899
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I stayed at POR last October after approximately 4 previous trips to POFQ. I really prefer POFQ. It's much smaller than POR and I like the New Orleans/Mardi Gras theme better. I was in a preferred room at POR which minimized the walking at the resort. POR definitely has the better food court and has more activities on-site like bicycle rental, boat rental, etc. I'm glad I tried Riverside once but I'll be returning to the French Quarter for future trips.

In terms of discounts, if you are a AAA member, you're eligible for around a 15% to 20% discount at either resort, depending on the date of your trip. Sometimes with the general discount codes, Riverside has a larger discount than French Quarter.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #1900
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer

Room requests - a room with a view..

Hi

We have booked to stay at POFQ for 14 nights, all very exciting!!

Is it true that unless you pay extra, you will get a view of the car park? I really don't want to look at that for 2 weeks, but can't justify the expense of a garden/pool view room on top of our already scarily expensive holiday!!

I've seen from the map that some buildings are not adjacent to the parking area, would it be worth trying to request one of them or are they only for people who have paid for an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #1901
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi

Is it true that unless you pay extra, you will get a view of the car park? I really don't want to look at that for 2 weeks, but can't justify the expense of a garden/pool view room on top of our already scarily expensive holiday!!

I've seen from the map that some buildings are not adjacent to the parking area, would it be worth trying to request one of them or are they only for people who have paid for an upgrade?

According to http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php, standard view rooms tend to face parking lots or have obscured views. If you really don't want to look at a parking lot, you could do garden view for only $10 more per night. However, parking lots at Disney resorts aren't the huge expanses of asphalt that you're probably used to; they're nicely landscaped.

The buildings that are away from the parking lots are going to be all garden view, river view and pool view, so I would assume that they wouldn't honor a request for one of those buildings if you didn't pay for one of those categories.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1902
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi

Since PO changed their room catagories, the "standard" view rooms overlook the parking lots. You never know, you may receive an upgrade to a better view. The last time I stayed at POFQ in 2011, I booked standard view but was given a river view room at check-in.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #1903
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

You can look at the maps of the individual buildings on PortOrleans.org to see how the Standard view, Garden View, Water/Pool View, River View are placed in each building and how those buildings are situated in relation to the parking lots. I suppose you could study those maps and request what you thought would be the 'best' standard view available, but it's only a request. Pixie dust upgrades are much less likely to happen on a longer stay. I would upgrade to Garden View if it's that important to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1904
klstiger
Mouseketeer

subscribing

na

Kristy
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #1905
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
According to http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php, standard view rooms tend to face parking lots or have obscured views. If you really don't want to look at a parking lot, you could do garden view for only $10 more per night. However, parking lots at Disney resorts aren't the huge expanses of asphalt that you're probably used to; they're nicely landscaped.

The buildings that are away from the parking lots are going to be all garden view, river view and pool view, so I would assume that they wouldn't honor a request for one of those buildings if you didn't pay for one of those categories.
Okay we'll see if this works. I took this from my room door. Building 4 Standard View I was in the room right next to the staircase on the 2nd floor so right smack dab in the middle of the building.

Okay pic to come maybe

Last edited by bookgirl; 04-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: