Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #136
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, May 30
Continued

After the threat of a thunderstorm had us leaving the pool, we made our way back to our room to find Davis and decide what to do next.

It was decided wed head to Downtown Disney and find something to eat when we got there.

Who was on the savannah when we walked by the windows?

Anybody?

Ah! Theres some wildlife!

Once again in the old folks van, I took some more pictures of the side road construction:

After some discussion, we settled on trying out a place wed never been to before.

Pollo Campero!

Lunch was pretty good!

Looks like 3 orders of chicken strips, each with a different side, and probably a chicken sandwich in the box. I also remembering ordering the sweet plantains, which must be what's in the bowl on the upper left of the tray.

After lunch, we spent quite a bit of time wandering in and out of the shops at Downtown Disney. Ill let the pictures do most of the talking:

Oh, Duffy!

Luke was soooo excited to build his own lightsaber!

Meanwhile, Allison and I had fun trying on hats and looking at Vinylmation:

We made a visit to the Christmas store:

And to Goofy's Candy Co!

And now, my version of spot the difference

Ready?

Continued in next post, below&
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West

Last edited by Bridora; 04-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #137
Bridora
DIS Veteran

&continued from previous post&

Did you spot the difference? It was the man on the right side of the first photo!

Still want to eat at Raglan Road!

Having spend a sufficient amount of time at Downtown Disney (with no more rain/storms since we werent trying to swim!) we drove back to Kidani Village.

Sometime earlier in our stay, we had noticed maintenance doing some sort of work on or near the gates at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The one where the guard shack is, but if you have a room key you can go in the right lane and raise the gate. Well, we noticed a new sign was up when we passed by this time:

Yes, arm gate lowers after every vehicle. Id hate to be the one who found that out the hard way!

I bet you were wondering to yourself just what the weather was like then. Wonder no more, my friends!

Im not sure what all happened next. Maybe we took a quick dip in the pool, maybe we made another visit to the Community Hall. I dont even know what we ate for dinner that night, but I do know that after dark we walked over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and did night vision animal viewing. It was really a pretty cool experience! Heres a Disney Parks Blog post about it:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-night-vision/

Pretty sure that's the pool area outside of Mara

Flamingoes!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is so pretty at night!

We then made our way back to Kidani Village and spent some time around the fire in the back:

An Instagram-enhanced shot of the fire.

We spent some more time wandering around the grounds. These lanterns are right at the entrance to Kidani Village - where you would pull up to walk into the lobby for check-in. Love this area at night!

Up next: Another off-property adventure!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West

Last edited by Bridora; 04-24-2013 at 02:55 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #138
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Thursday, May 31
Off to Neverland -- I mean Legoland!

And let me tell you, Legoland is a bit of a drive! Google maps tells me its around 35 miles or about 45 minutes away. It seemed longer, lol!

I noticed this interesting thing on the side of the road on our way:

Hidden Mickey!

Finally, we spotted this:

Hooray! We made it!

I dont remember what time it was that we arrived, but traffic was not an issue in the parking lot. There were quite a few other cars already there, but we didnt park too far away. There were no trams that I noticed, but like I said, the walk to the entrance wasnt bad.

Heres a map of Legoland if youre interested:

http://florida.legoland.com/PageFile...%5B1%5D_r2.pdf

We had to stop for a few pictures on our way to The Dragon rollercoaster, which was chosen to be our first ride of the day.

Detour: If you'll notice in those pictures above, Luke is wearing his lost tennis shoes!!!! Sometime after checking in to Animal Kingdom, probably after our first or second day there, I went to get the laptop out of its backpack and lo and behold there were Luke's shoes! I was dancing for joy! (I didn't grab my shoes or nothin' - I just ran for my life...) We had carried the backpack on board the Dream with us that first day and I guess while we were sitting on the pool deck, before our stateroom was ready, one of us (ahem, Davis) had stuck Luke's shoes in there for safe keeping. Well, safe they were kept, lol! But I was so glad to have them back, both for Luke's feet and our wallet's sakes!

Now, back to The Dragon.

I dont have any pictures of it. I had my video camera out, prepared to video our ride. It wasnt until we were seated in the car, me with the video camera strapped tightly to my hand, that one of the cast members told me Id have to leave the video camera behind with our bags. Boo!

The ride was ok.

We came to realize that Legoland is really geared toward the younger kids. Its a good thing we went when we did, while the kids were still young enough to enjoy it, even though Id say theyre right on the brink and were too old for several attractions.

Our next experience was the Lost Kingdom Adventure (think Buzz Lightyear)

There were lots of cool photo opportunities throughout the park!

Finally, we spotted a rollercoaster that looked like one we would all enjoy:

Coastersaurus

They had some pretty cute themeing in the queue.

Unfortunately, the ride broke down and after waiting a few minutes we decided to abandon it until later in the day.

We stopped for a drink and snack and I noticed these benches, which boasted they were made from recycled plastic -- cool!

Coming into Lego City, the kids got in a bit of a fender-bender:

This one makes it look like Allison is really upset, lol!

We found out the kids were too old for Driving School, so we hopped aboard Flying School - a pretty fun suspended rollercoaster.

After that, we grabbed lunch somewhere nearby. I dont remember much about the food, standard theme park food.

Luke took the camera after he finished eating and took a few pictures for me:

...Continued in next post...

Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #139
Bridora
DIS Veteran

….Continued from above….

Lego City had another attraction we were excited to try - Boating School! This one looked really fun, you actually can steer your own boat around a course! Allison & I boarded our own boat just behind Davis & Luke. We let the kids “drive” and it really was pretty fun!

While there were quite a few things the kids were too old to do, Lego City still had several things we enjoyed.

http://florida.legoland.com/en/EXPLO...Map/LEGO-City/

Another of those was Rescue Academy. The whole family can board a fire truck and compete against another family/fire truck to put out a “blaze”. You actually have to pump something in the truck to get your firetruck to move, then hop out and put out the fire before driving your truck back to the start. Very much game-showish fun!

I tried taking some video aboard our trucks, but it really was work to move those truck and the kids we like, “put that down and help us!” And so I did!

Up next: A visit to “Cypress Gardens”
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #140
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

You are not the first person that I've heard say that the drive to Legoland seemed longer than it really was. Nor are you the first to say that it's geared more towards younger kids. It does look really cool though!

**Edited to add: Yay! for finding the tennis shoes! They were in a really really safe hiding place. LOL!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #141
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
You are not the first person that I've heard say that the drive to Legoland seemed longer than it really was. Nor are you the first to say that it's geared more towards younger kids. It does look really cool though!

**Edited to add: Yay! for finding the tennis shoes! They were in a really really safe hiding place. LOL!
It was really cool to see all the things they had built using Legos. Especially if you're into Legos--there were Lego sculptures everywhere! I'm glad we went, but I don't think we'll be going back. Maybe if the kids were younger...

We were so excited to find those shoes! And yes, they were safe!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #142
Bridora
DIS Veteran

May 31, Continued
Cypress Gardens

Before it became Legoland, it was Cypress Gardens. While we never went while it was still Cypress Gardens, Legoland has left a portion of the beautiful grounds open for visitors to explore. And thats just what we did.

This pathway winds around through the beautiful gardens.

Words of wisdom

In Cypress Gardens, you can find Lego versions of the Southern Belles that used to walk around the Cypress Gardens Adventure Park.

Mickey is everywhere!

It was a fairly big area full of beautiful plants, but the kids were pretty bored by it, so we didnt get to stay long enough to appreciate it all.

Near the entrance to the Cypress Gardens area of the park is a water show arena. We watched a bit of what turned out to be ski practice, as for some reason there was no show that day. It's a pirate-themed show and they had more Lego guys near the arena entrance.

My treasures:

It was time for Miniland USA!

Miniland USA is just that - a miniature version of several different cities. You could spend so much time here because there is so much detail in these, the more you look, the more youll find!

I don't remember which this was, though...

Kennedy Space Center!

Sunken treasure

City of St. Augustine

San Francisco!

Other visitors enjoying Miniland

Mini mini-golf!

Washington, DC

...Continued in next post...

Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #143
Bridora
DIS Veteran

...Continued from above...

New York!

We wandered around a bit more and decided to try our luck at the Coastersaurus one more time. Hopefully, it would be back up and running.

Sadly, when we arrived we found that they werent running the ride at the moment because, lightning had been spotted in the area. We hadnt noticed any, but Im sure they are taking every precaution to keep their guests safe. As we walked around we noticed that some other attractions also were not running. I dont remember exactly what time it was, but the park closed at 5:00 that day and it was close enough to it that we decided to call it day. We joked that the employees were also ready to call it a day and figured the lightning was good enough excuse to stop operating the whole place early.

We stopped for a few more photo ops on the way to the front of the park:

Darth Vader was there...

And Luke was just in time to meet Buddy before he had to go.

This guy was pretty excited to see R2-D2 he didn't even notice we were taking a picture!

See you later, Legoland!

Up next: Doing a check-out day tradition a day early...

Last edited by Bridora; 04-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #144
Bridora
DIS Veteran

More of May 31, 2012

After a very long drive back to WDW, we decided to head to Downtown Disney to purchase any last minute souvenirs and to also have our traditional departing meal at Wolfgang Puck Express. Usually, we save that for our checkout day and have lunch there before leaving. As much as I didnt want our vacation to be over, I knew that getting on the road that much earlier the next day would make it easier on Davis.

And of course, no visit to Downtown Disney would be complete without a stop at Ghirardelli for a free sample!

And a purchase!

(I took its picture back at Kidani Village later that night)

Im sure we made one last run through World of Disney before departing. *sniff*

But all wasnt over yet&we never had gotten our Dole Whips this vacation.

To the Polynesian!

By way of a quick visit to Bay Lake Tower. We needed to say hi!

We went up to the bridge connecting Bay Lake Tower to the Comtemporary.

I do miss that spectacular view!

Its so hard to not take 1,000,000 pictures of it!

We must have hopped a Monorail to the Poly at this point; cant forget those Dole Whips!

And again, with some Instagram love.

Success!

It was a beautiful evening&

...Continued below...

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #145
Bridora
DIS Veteran

...Continued from above...

It was a beautiful evening, and we were having so much fun

But eventually, we knew it was time to say goodbye. . .

See ya real soon, Poly!

Back at Kidani Village, while we were getting things packed and ready for the morning, I wondered if I had taken enough pictures of our 1 Bedroom.

I snapped a few, just in case:

Living room, from Kitchen, complete with suitcases being packed!

Bedroom

Bedroom, with stacks of pillows

Bathroom off the Bedroom.

We were all set for checkout in the morning, even if we didnt want to be.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #146
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Way to round out a Disney vacation....Wolfgang Puck, free chocolate, a little shopping and top that all off with a Dole Whip. That's my kind of evening!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #147
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Vacation Wrap-Up

And just like that, it was time to go back home. I'm fairly certain we were up and gone before the 11:00 check-out time. I have no pictures from that day; and no pictures = vacation over.

I thought I'd do a little Q&A with myself, about the vacation.

"You took your first cruise on this vacation; what are your thoughts on cruising and would you cruise again?"

I used to think we weren't cruise people, but after hearing my mother-in-law rave about cruises she's taken, I thought we could at least look into it. I can say we all enjoyed the cruise; even though it took away from spending time in the parks. Our 3 night cruise was jam-packed with fun and activities and relaxation. I can't pinpoint one favorite, but Castaway Cay is definitely at the top! I'm so glad we splurged for a verandah - I really enjoyed the time spent out there. I know the kids would have spent all their time at the Edge; they always had something fun going on in there. Also, just exploring the ship was so much fun! I can see another cruise in our future, although the next one looks more like an Alaskan cruise, I'm not opposed to doing another Caribbean one.

"And what about Kidani Village? It was also your first time staying there; did you like it?"

I loved Kidani Village. We knew we would be severely lacking in park time on this vacation and thought it would be a good time to stay at Kidani. While you're still on Disney property, it feels so secluded there. Kidani Village would be a great place to just escape to, without doing anything else! You've got a great restaurant (Sanaa), a nice pool and gym and you can take a nice little stroll over to AKL to visit Mara for good counter service food. And then there's all the animal viewing to be done and resort activities to take part in! Seriously, you wouldn't even have to leave to have a great vacation there!

"So, are you going back to Universal Studios or Legoland next time you're in Florida?"

No!

Nothing against those parks, but this year, it's all Disney! We did enjoy Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is something all Harry Potter fans should experience. We wanted to visit Legoland while Luke was still into Legos. The kids were excited to do something different for a change and we enjoyed Legoland too. But, those other parks are just not Disney - it's as simple as that. You all know what I'm talking about.

Overall, it was a great vacation filled with memories, and isn't that what it's all about?

I'm glad you guys stuck with me as I took some long breaks from updating! It's been fun looking at all the pictures again and trying to recall just exactly what we did (seems to be a recurring theme in my trip reports).

Thanks so much for reading along!

We've got another trip planned in just a few short weeks so be on the lookout for my PTR! I've got some ideas swirling around in my head about starting one, but I think I'll invest in a trip journal this year. Maybe that will be the key to a more organized Trip Report!

Last edited by Bridora; 04-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #148
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Just like you, we wondered if we were "cruise people". After that cruise, I would have said that we wouldn't ever go again. But, again, like you, we're looking into going on another one. I've also been researching Alaska. I 'm so afraid that we'd miss Disney though and we couldn't do both due to the cost.

I'm glad that ya'll went ahead and tried Legoland. Your kids were young enough that they enjoyed the park.

So, you think that it will be a while before ya'll venture off to Universal again?

Be sure to post the link when you start the pre-trip report. I'm such a dummy that I forget to look for links in people's signatures.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #149
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Way to round out a Disney vacation....Wolfgang Puck, free chocolate, a little shopping and top that all off with a Dole Whip. That's my kind of evening!
It was a nice way to end the vacation, for sure! Laid-back, no rushing, just some Dole Whips and relaxation. I can't wait to do it all again!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #150
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just like you, we wondered if we were "cruise people". After that cruise, I would have said that we wouldn't ever go again. But, again, like you, we're looking into going on another one. I've also been researching Alaska. I 'm so afraid that we'd miss Disney though and we couldn't do both due to the cost.

I'm glad that ya'll went ahead and tried Legoland. Your kids were young enough that they enjoyed the park.

So, you think that it will be a while before ya'll venture off to Universal again?

Be sure to post the link when you start the pre-trip report. I'm such a dummy that I forget to look for links in people's signatures.

You ninja, you!

Yeah, an Alaskan cruise would definitely take the place of our regular Disney vacation, so I'm not sure that it will ever happen! It just wouldn't be the same without Disney!

I'm glad we visited Legoland, too! We did have a lot of fun there, but I don't think there's anything else for us there right now...well except for the Star Wars miniland they've added, but I don't see that requiring another visit with more lost Disney time!

Nope, no Universal this year for sure! Maybe once they've finished the Harry Potter expansion I've heard about, but I don't see us going back before.

I will post the link here when I get my PTR started!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: