DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Is good resale always this hard to find?

While we wait for news of GF going on sale, I decided to peruse the resales to see if there's something just too good to pass up. I'm so frustrated - every contract that I've found at a resort we would want is either WAY more points than we want *or* it's completely stripped! (Or in some cases: BOTH of those!)

Maybe it's because my DH requires monorail or ability to walk to a park in his DVC purchase. He would rather buy a smaller contract direct (at least for the initial purchase) but I thought hey, while we wait, why not look just in case there is that amazingly perfect contract just waiting.

Is it always that way? The stripped contracts that won't see points for a year or in some cases almost 2 years?
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
nabi
Home at Disney often!

The change in availability and price has been dramatic since late Feb., early March. I wasn't looking st add on's when the market dropped, so unsure of when availability and price was at its best for buyers.
I looked for stripped when buying, wasn't ready to use nor wanted to rent nor bank. I thought they'd be more likely to pass ROFR and they all did, even at prices on the lower end for the specific resort. Now that low end is $20-$40 less pp than what's out now.
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
fortheloveofminnie
Earning My Ears

There's been a bit of increased activity in the resale market for the last few months. Demand has increased (coinciding with Disney's direct price increases?), so naturally supply seems down and prices are up a bit as well. I had my choice of contracts when I started my resale purchase in early February, but I haven't seen anything meeting my criteria on the major resale sites in weeks. Glad I purchased when I did!
fortheloveofminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

And this is why we bought direct. In a nutshell. If you have time to look at the sites on a crazy basis, stalk the brokers, then maybe you can find what you want. I know I didn't. Small contracts are hard enough to find period. Small, not stripped and not gone immediately....proved beyond me. Was I too picky? Maybe. Maybe not. I looked off and on for a very long time. It ultimately came down to a need basis, I ran out of time to keep looking at resale with its closing timeline. I was either going to drop a huge chunk of change on room reservations for my trip, be unlikely to even be able to book on cash at one of the locations (Vero) or go ahead and buy direct, have my points immediately and be able to book accordingly.

Yes. I paid more. 16-32% more depending on which contract it is., when I bought and the resale price at the time. That first differential is about what that cash booking would have cost. Apples to apples, room cost only. A trip we were taking regardless, money I'd have spent either way and while it may take longer to "break even"I was able to stay where I wanted, when and how I wanted. It was a magical trip. Since then I've looked at add on's via resale and have had the same issue. A few that might work, but stripped, and again, small, and gone before you could blink. For me that just didn't work. To a large degree I've quit looking and certainly right now, pickings are far more slim than ever, depending on what it is you want.

What I paid more for upfront in point cost, is money I'm not spending on MF on points I didn't want by having to buy too many, in the wrong UY or the wrong resort just to get a better price via resale. Didn't make much sense to me to give up a vacation so I could buy a stripped contract and then...not take that vacation. If I looked at what I saved in MF alone, by waiting on that 2nd contract until I actually needed more points, and having 2 smaller versus one larger ones well, then the differential shrinks that much more. Plus I wanted more than one home resort, a larger contract to start didn't work for that at all.

I do have to admit that the recent increase in resale prices does make my differential seem a lot smaller.

I am currently on a waiting list for another direct add on at BWV. With the (before the price increase) incentives, it comes out to about $99/pt. With BWV resales now showing in the $80's, frankly, I don't feel bad about my direct add on at all and yes, I do like knowing they are unrestricted points.

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-11-2013 at 01:51 AM.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Is good resale always this hard to find?
i would definitely wait a few months to let things settle. this could be a stable increase in resale prices but i suspect it's just a blip and prices will drop a bit and settle at lower levels.

(i've been wrong before, though...the future can be tricky like that.)

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
lions1995
DIS Veteran

Given your criteria your looking at BWV, BC or BLT. It certainly does look like availability has dried up a bit and prices have increased. THough you have to remember that the asking price is simply a starting point.

If you find a contract you like, make an offer at a price you like. It does not hurt to make the offer. I once made an offer that the seller refused and got a call from the agent a few months later saying that they accepted my orginal offer if I was still interested.
lions1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Even in this market, we didn't wait long to find something that suited us. I was torn between wanting GFV, paying the money they would be asking, and deciding that BLT would be a very acceptable alternative. We found a BLT, March UY and are in the closing process. The more I read about the GFV, specifically about the fixed time owners, the less I want to be an owner there. At 11 months, I want the chance to get in as I do at the other on site resorts. I don't want to compete against owners who already have the time of year, spcifically December, including NYE.

That was our decision. These will be the only resale points we have with restrictions. We are OK with that.

Bobbi
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions1995 View Post
Given your criteria your looking at BWV, BC or BLT. It certainly does look like availability has dried up a bit and prices have increased. THough you have to remember that the asking price is simply a starting point.

If you find a contract you like, make an offer at a price you like. It does not hurt to make the offer. I once made an offer that the seller refused and got a call from the agent a few months later saying that they accepted my orginal offer if I was still interested.
We also were refused at first. We got an e-mail from the retailer saying the seller would negotiate a bit. It worked for both of us.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
i would definitely wait a few months to let things settle. this could be a stable increase in resale prices but i suspect it's just a blip and prices will drop a bit and settle at lower levels.

(i've been wrong before, though...the future can be tricky like that.)
My advice also!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I too think the resale market needs time to settle to a "new normal" after the recent flurry of activity that coincided with DVC's direct price increase.

I bought last summer, and it did seem that it was a bit easier to find good contracts (not stripped, competitively priced.). Could be once the market settles, you will be able to find good contracts again. The walk to park resorts will always be a little more difficult or expensive to get, but I think it should settle again, eventually.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

The worst part of all of this is that my husband has decided that, since he is buying DVC, he wants our next trip on points so that the money we would spend is going toward something. We are now 180 days (give our take a week or two in either direction) from our desired trip dates to celebrate DS' 8th birthday (Halloween). Still no word on GF and a stripped resale won't help us at all.

Really REALLY hoping something comes through so *HE* doesn't have to tell DS the trip he asked for a year ago isn't happening. (Note that *I* won't be the one to tell him LOL)
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I may be wrong but i can't imagine GF being ready to stay in within 180 days.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I may be wrong but i can't imagine GF being ready to stay in within 180 days.
I agree with this, best case is it opens in time for Thanksgiving/Xmas IMO. I'd be very surprised with an early October opening. Late 2013 is what DVC has stated, I would expect they would have been saying Fall if it was going to be earlier than Nov/Dec.

I'm betting right after Thanksgiving personally. I also suspect that Oct 2013 may be the first UY available to buy, but December being a bit more likely. If, as suggested, there are no developer or banked points then the first stay anywhere might not even be possible until after 10/1 or 12/1 respectively. It will be interesting to see. Either way though, even if there are developer points available to use before it opens, I worry that your chances of being able to book anything that meets your DH's requirements is pretty slim. BLT and VWL are very likely already sold out for those days by either BLT/VWL owners who booked 11m out or everyone else who booked at 7m out. It is a hugely popular time for those resorts due to the Halloween Parties. Epcot DVC will have similar issues for points stays due to Food and Wine.

You'll be able to buy before your trip if that's what you want, and use the points, if avail, to stay somewhere, but your choices may well be limited to SSR/OKW/AKV. If the points are available for use on your dates, often the reps may try to get you in to your first choice and sometimes seem to work magic but I'd say that's a best case scenario and not a guarantee at all.

If it were me I'd at least book a regular resort room somewhere, for one nights deposit you'll have a place to stay and it could easily be cancelled if the point situation works out.

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaschitz View Post
The worst part of all of this is that my husband has decided that, since he is buying DVC, he wants our next trip on points so that the money we would spend is going toward something. We are now 180 days (give our take a week or two in either direction) from our desired trip dates to celebrate DS' 8th birthday (Halloween). Still no word on GF and a stripped resale won't help us at all.

Really REALLY hoping something comes through so *HE* doesn't have to tell DS the trip he asked for a year ago isn't happening. (Note that *I* won't be the one to tell him LOL)
Not to burst your bubble, but I would not plan on using DVC points for a stay for THIS October. It is a very popular time for DVC and I would be very surprised if there is any availability anywhere for the time around Halloween. I'm not saying it is impossible, but you will need a LOT of luck...and pixie dust. Good luck with your purchase.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
AddieAidey
Earning My Ears

Halloween?

I was actually thinking about taking my family during Halloween. I guess it depends on availability once we close though and it sounds like a popular week. Are there special things going on? Why is so popular with members but has low overall crowds (beside Food & Wine)?
Aulani Nov 2013
GCV Sep 2014
Aulani Feb 2015
Disney Wonder Oct 2015
AddieAidey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: