Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Disney Dining Plan

Is it me or does the DDP seems like a total waste? Just thinking about it I feel like gaining 50 pounds. We were originally considering it but we really don't eat that much. We never eat dessert or snack during the day and come to think of it never eat dessert after dinner either. We don't drink soda, just water. We are probably going go bring a light breakfast to have in the room on some days and make a couple reservations for Be our Guest for dinner and Tusker house for breakfast. The rest of the time will be quick service meals (healthiest thing on the menu) It is just two of us going so I'm thinking if I can get a room discount and just pay oop for food it would be better? When do they usually offer room discounts anyways? We are prob gonna stay at POFQ.

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
G719
Mouseketeer

For your situation, I think you would be better off paying out of pocket. Some families find they do better on the plan and others do better out of pocket.
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Maybe go with the 'Quick Service Dining Plan'. 2 Counter Service meals per day of plan and you can use the snack credits for bottle water or Fruit or Mickey Rice Crispy Treats to take back for Family.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G719 View Post
For your situation, I think you would be better off paying out of pocket. Some families find they do better on the plan and others do better out of pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardLarz View Post
Maybe go with the 'Quick Service Dining Plan'. 2 Counter Service meals per day of plan and you can use the snack credits for bottle water or Fruit or Mickey Rice Crispy Treats to take back for Family.
I think both of these suggestions are good, depending on what you're more comfortable with. I would price out how much the QS plan would cost along with paying OOP for a few TS meals and compare that to paying OOP for all meals. If a room discount comes out for your dates and the resort/room type you want is available under the discount, you can still get a package with the meal plan and get the discount on the room portion if you decide to go with one of the DDPs. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

If you are 2 adults, and only doing 2 TS meals, then the DDP may not make financial sense in your situation.

It is not a bad deal if you have children 3-9 and plan on a lot of character meals or buffets. But for adults, it usually isn't a great deal if you don't drink soda or iced tea with your meals, rarely order desserts, and are only planning 1 or 2 TS meals.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
jhryb
DIS Veteran

At first I was going to recommend that you pay out of pocket for everything.... however the food a WDW is very expensive so I think that it is still worth comparing the menu prices (based on what you think you will eat) to the costs of the dining plan. I am normally a healthy eater too but when I go to WDW I like to let loss a bit and then get back on track when I get home I have always found the dining plan to be a big cost saver.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
ilovevacation
Mouseketeer

When we were there in the fall we kept all of our receipts (which say $0) if you are on the ddp but we wrote down the price of our meals when we saw the total. We spent about $300 more then the ddp costs. With that said...i don't eat a lot, but my husband has to have breakfast or we can't do anything (crabby!) Also, one of our cs went unused because i thought i was going to be sick, plus we would never get dessert at all of our meals. Lastly, the snacks are hard to use unless you are there during food and wine, yummy!

We have talked about it after we got back and decided we would take room discount next time over free dining, but we say that now...but it's like going to the store hungry, it's easy to be swayed.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you eat like the OP, the dining plan is not for you. It's not intended to be for everyone.

Right now the best way to make money on the dining plan is if you are a family with kids under 10 who plan on lots of buffets, all you can eat or character meals. A group that prefers their own desserts with every meal and tends to order the most expensive menu items may save more, also.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your help. I will look into the quick service plan. I recentley bought a water bottle that has a filter in it. I was thinking I could take it to the parks. and fill it up at the water fountains. It makes any water taste great supposedly and will save me a lot of money on water. So maybe ill just pay OOP for food since I wont use the snack credits.

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFlower2 View Post
Thank you all for your help. I will look into the quick service plan. I recentley bought a water bottle that has a filter in it. I was thinking I could take it to the parks. and fill it up at the water fountains. It makes any water taste great supposedly and will save me a lot of money on water. So maybe ill just pay OOP for food since I wont use the snack credits.
I hope you don't take that advice. If you don't use all the entitlements in the plan you will lose money.

Here's a general break down for the QSDP:

Entree $10
Drink $3
Dessert $3
Snack $5

So, let's take away the dessert you don't want. That's a $6 loss each day.
You cold get coffee or juice or bottled water for your drink, but if you reall PREFER water, that's FREE. So another $6 loss per day.
You could get bottled water for your snack (you could also get a free cup at any CS or use your water bottle). But let's do bottled water. At $3 a pop, that's another $2 loss per day.
So you pay Disney $14 to eat the way you WANT to eat. Why would you want to do that???
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

It definitely sounds like it'd be a waste *for you*. However I've experienced eating in The World twice now - once with DXDP and once without, and we will never go without again if we can help it. It IS a lot of food, and sometimes we didn't end up ordering dessert, but we realized when we went without it, as we dropped about $200 on one dinner (le Cellier) that we spent way more without it. So for us it's definitely not a waste. It's just a personal decision like anything else at Disney. We would consider using park passes at the Animal Kingdom to be a waste

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!
disneydreaminA115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
I hope you don't take that advice. If you don't use all the entitlements in the plan you will lose money.

Here's a general break down for the QSDP:

Entree $10
Drink $3
Dessert $3
Snack $5

So, let's take away the dessert you don't want. That's a $6 loss each day.
You cold get coffee or juice or bottled water for your drink, but if you reall PREFER water, that's FREE. So another $6 loss per day.
You could get bottled water for your snack (you could also get a free cup at any CS or use your water bottle). But let's do bottled water. At $3 a pop, that's another $2 loss per day.
So you pay Disney $14 to eat the way you WANT to eat. Why would you want to do that???
I completely agree and yes I prefer water No QSDP for me! Thank you for your help!

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

I used the spreadsheet in the "Disney Dining Plan calculator - Amazing Tool!!!" thread.

Just about every configuration I tried yields OOP to be the best choice. If the planets happen to be in alignment and the house of Aquarius is in its third moon, it's possible for the basic dining plan to be cheaper, but only by $20 or less. Odds are, you're going to be scrambling on the last day to buy up snacks to meet your quotas.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
I used the spreadsheet in the "Disney Dining Plan calculator - Amazing Tool!!!" thread.

Just about every configuration I tried yields OOP to be the best choice. If the planets happen to be in alignment and the house of Aquarius is in its third moon, it's possible for the basic dining plan to be cheaper, but only by $20 or less. Odds are, you're going to be scrambling on the last day to buy up snacks to meet your quotas.
lol you're funny. I appreciate it! OOP it is

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFlower2 View Post
Is it me or does the DDP seems like a total waste? Just thinking about it I feel like gaining 50 pounds. We were originally considering it but we really don't eat that much. We never eat dessert or snack during the day and come to think of it never eat dessert after dinner either. We don't drink soda, just water. We are probably going go bring a light breakfast to have in the room on some days and make a couple reservations for Be our Guest for dinner and Tusker house for breakfast. The rest of the time will be quick service meals (healthiest thing on the menu) It is just two of us going so I'm thinking if I can get a room discount and just pay oop for food it would be better? When do they usually offer room discounts anyways? We are prob gonna stay at POFQ.
That's where we are, almost to a tee -- breakfasts in room, rarely getting two full meals a day, and the kids are waaaay past character breakfast buffets now. DDP works for some, but not for us.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: