Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Your best Disney fact or insider story...

I am going to WDW with my father again in June. This will be almost exactly 40 years after he took me as a child in 1973. Even though we have both been back many times on our own, this will be the first time we are returning together. He is kind of a Walt Disney Historian (amateur of course ).

I need some new material to dazzle him on this trip. What are those tidbits of knowledge that you save for the hardest to impress? What are your favorite things to show people? It can be about Walt or anything at WDW. I need your help.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 12-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook
I am going to WDW with my father again in June. This will be almost exactly 40 years after he took me as a child in 1973. Even though we have both been back many times on our own, this will be the first time we are returning together. He is kind of a Walt Disney Historian (amateur of course ).

I need some new material to dazzle him on this trip. What are those tidbits of knowledge that you save for the hardest to impress? What are your favorite things to show people? It can be about Walt or anything at WDW. I need your help.
Has he taken the KTTK tour? The tour is filled with insider tidbits as well as many looks backstage. My daughters and I found it fascinating!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
jackieinJuneau
Mouseketeer

I would recommend the podcast The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill. After the Dis unplugged it's my favorite! It's not travel tips but an ongoing conversation between Len Testa, who runs the Touring Plans website and is one of the Unofficial Guide authors and Jim Hill Disney historian and author. It's funny and I have learned so much Disney parks trivia! I didn't know there was a wave machine in the 7 Seas lagoon when the Polynesian opened. It worked too well and washed all the sand off the beach!
jackieinJuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieinJuneau View Post
I would recommend the podcast The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill. After the Dis unplugged it's my favorite! It's not travel tips but an ongoing conversation between Len Testa, who runs the Touring Plans website and is one of the Unofficial Guide authors and Jim Hill Disney historian and author. It's funny and I have learned so much Disney parks trivia! I didn't know there was a wave machine in the 7 Seas lagoon when the Polynesian opened. It worked too well and washed all the sand off the beach!
That is a good one! That would be a good one to tell on the monorail or boat ride from TTC!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
micmac727
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

I recommend getting a hidden secrets of Disney world book, to find some cool hidden secrets revealed.
micmac727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
bcrook
DIS Veteran

We are both Disney veterans. We are familiar with the books. Hoping to hear the favorites of the veterans on here. Compare notes. It's a Father's Day trip, the best thing I give him is good stories.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
surferdude
Mouseketeer

My favorite thing is that if you look at the roof of HM, you will notice that the pillars (I guess that is what they could be called?) are shaped like chess pieces (I believe knights and rooks). The designer loved chess and liked to incorporate it into his rides (the reason that POTC has the 2 skeletons playing chess). Its something people tend to overlook (after all how many people look at the top of HM).
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
lucas
°o°

Has he been down in the tunnels of the MK?

Definitely do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was well worth the time and money.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Our ferry driver mentioned to us as we were waiting to go from the MK to the GF that one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon has a waterfall on it because the Imagineers had some leftover concrete. That one goes to the island but it's just there. Not sure about the validity but it was interesting. Sadly I've forgotten the names of the two islands that he pointed out.

Also I heard that Roy Disney insisted that the castle be the first thing finished in the construction of the MK to inspire the workers as they came to work each day.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
My favorite thing is that if you look at the roof of HM, you will notice that the pillars (I guess that is what they could be called?) are shaped like chess pieces (I believe knights and rooks). The designer loved chess and liked to incorporate it into his rides (the reason that POTC has the 2 skeletons playing chess). Its something people tend to overlook (after all how many people look at the top of HM).
Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Has he been down in the tunnels of the MK?

Definitely do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was well worth the time and money.
I will recommend it to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
Our ferry driver mentioned to us as we were waiting to go from the MK to the GF that one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon has a waterfall on it because the Imagineers had some leftover concrete. That one goes to the island but it's just there. Not sure about the validity but it was interesting. Sadly I've forgotten the names of the two islands that he pointed out.

Also I heard that Roy Disney insisted that the castle be the first thing finished in the construction of the MK to inspire the workers as they came to work each day.
I will see what I can verify. Fun story!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

I haven't read any of the books but here's a few I've picked up along the way:
  • The off color brown pavement in Liberty Square represents the sewage that would have run through a colonial town.
  • With the exception of the flag pole in town square, all the flags on main street are not true American flags so that they can be left out overnight.
  • The castle is 199 feet tall, to avoid having to put a red light on top for aviation safety.
  • The color that construction walls are often painted is called "Go Away Green", it was chosen specifically because guests are less likely to notice it.
  • When the park first opened, many different colored flags were placed along the roadways coming into the MK. Guests were polled as to which color they noticed. Purple was the most commonly spotted color, which is why the directional signs on Disney property are purple.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.
No way! That is good story whether it is true or not!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess View Post
I haven't read any of the books but here's a few I've picked up along the way:
  • The off color brown pavement in Liberty Square represents the sewage that would have run through a colonial town.
  • With the exception of the flag pole in town square, all the flags on main street are not true American flags so that they can be left out overnight.
  • The castle is 199 feet tall, to avoid having to put a red light on top for aviation safety.
  • The color that construction walls are often painted is called "Go Away Green", it was chosen specifically because guests are less likely to notice it.
  • When the park first opened, many different colored flags were placed along the roadways coming into the MK. Guests were polled as to which color they noticed. Purple was the most commonly spotted color, which is why the directional signs on Disney property are purple.
All about color. This is going to be a fun list. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
soccer_mickey
Mouseketeer

To find out how far apart to put trashcans, guests were given a candy at the gates to see how long they would hold onto the wrapper. Walt counted their steps, figuring it was 30, so trashcans are no more than 30 steps from each other.

Mickey has 290 different costumes and Minnie has 200.

A Liberty Bell replica was given to every state. Since Pennsylvania has the real one, they gave their replica to Disney, making Florida the only state to have two.

It took less than 30 minutes to evacuate all the guests on 9/11.

Each species of animal in AK have their own sound that they are trained to come back to be fed when they hear it played over the loudspeakers.
soccer_mickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: