Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

We always get Park Hoppers [except for now we usually have an AP] because we like to go back to the room around 2:00 to swim and relax. I always find it more fun to go back to a different park in the evening. Plus, Illuminations is my favorite nighttime show and I could watch it every night.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

I was thinking about them and started looking at schedules and one day I was looking at AK closed at 7pm and MK had EMH till 1am. For me this would be worth it. Especially when fireworks would be at 9/10 and the park empties out. An extra 5 hours in a park and 3 where crowds would be low.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

it really depends on your touring style. we always get them because we like the freedom. AK is not our favorite but we like to go so we typically go there for the AM and don't go back after our mid day break. we prefer restaurants in epcot so often go there at night just to do a ride or two and eat.

if you are going commando style and want to hit every ride on a touring plan you would probably be fine with no park hoppers. or if you have small children and move slower so you need more time in the parks each day.

don't just look at the money because this will really affect your experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

We love EMH and hoppers. We may visit one park in the morning, one in the afternoon/evening and one for EMH. Would not do Disney without staying onsite and having hoppers. Heck, we have closed down a park and then hopped over to MK for late 3 a.m. EMH. Great memories!

We tour commando and if we found that a park was too crowded we would hop over to another park in a heartbeat.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

I would say it depends on your sons age and stamina. If he is 5 years old, then no.... I don't think its worth it. Myself and grown children, yes, it is worth it because we usually only go to the parks for a couple of days, and just do our favorites, or what is new since last time, and then head out at night to see wishes, fantasmic, have dinner, etc. I think it depends on his age, and how much you have already seen.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

Even when park hopping was included, I rarely hopped parks. When it became an extra cost I never opted to get it and I really haven't missed it. We just stick to one park per day. Hopping parks takes time and energy away from prime park touring time, IMO, with little benifit.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Depends on the trip. Normally no, I think it's a waste and I have no problem doing one park per day. If we are done in a park, we'll go back to the room for a nap/swim or DTD, then go to the same park for evening entertainment. It just requires a little more planning for dining/emh/parades, which I love doing anyways.

This upcoming trip I'm going with my BFF for a few days and since it's during F/G festival, we'll probably get them since we'll probably want to be in Epcot more often, plus it's only one ticket I would need to upgrade, not 4.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveDallas View Post
I'm hoping to surprise DS with a short trip for his birthday. If it works out, we'll be there for 4-5 days at the beginning of August and staying at POP. The major thing I'm stuck on is whether or not to get park hoppers. If I don't get them, I'll be saving about $120, which could be a large chunk of our food budget. I'm just wondering if I'll regret being stuck in one park each day. Thoughts?
We do not use park hoppers and do not miss them. We find AK and HS to 3/4 day parks so on those days we either go back to the hotel to swim, nap, go to bed early (earlier i should say) or go to DTD.

The other two parks we do 2 days at because there is so much to do so we do not feel bad about returning to the same park on the same day. We also use the park hour schedule to plan our days and reservations.

Hopping seemed to take about 1 1/2 for transport each way and that was just too much time for us to waste just to hop.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

For us, it was worth it. We liked the flexibility of not being too scheduled. In addition, our resort was within walking distance to Epcot. It was nice we could just walk over for a character breakfast, spend the day in MK, then go back for fireworks in the evening. We also took advantage of the EMH and would head there after being in another park all day

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

I have gotten the park hopper each time we visit. We like AK but only for about half a day, same with HS. And although when doing the other 2 parks we would like to spend a whole day there, we still like to break them up a bit. Also we love dining in Epcot and this year we are planning on attending the F&WF which means we will prob go back there quite a bit.

I do agree with other PP who have said it really depends on the age of your DS. My DD is now 22 so its far easier to park hop than with a 5 year old. Also it depends on your travel style and how many times you have been there before. If you like to do all the rides and see everything in the park, you prob wont use the hopper much. And if its your first trip there you will prob want to do everything!! However if its your 5th trip, you prob already know what you want to do and "exploring" the park, isn't really that necessary. Also if you are staying onsite, then the transportation is free so there is no parking or distance fees to worry about.

Hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #26
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

You might as well not get the park hopper, and then add it if you decide to park hop. But, we go in August and like going to one park in the morning, go back to the hotel in the afternoon, and then park hop in the evening. It's just what we do do. For example, we might go to MK in the morning, and then get a little dressed up for a Fantasmic Show over at HS in the evening.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
Belle1962
DIS Veteran

We wait until we see if we actually need them. You just add them to your ticket at guest services.
Belle1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: