Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #166
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
One more from me...

Disney costumer service..
DH and I have stayed in many non-disney hotels and every time we do. We are disappointed..
I don't know what we are expecting, since we know its NOT disney.. But we are just spoiled I guess..
What types of costume help do they give guests,

If you mean customer service, many non-Disney hotels have fantastic customer service, especially if you are an elite rewards program member.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #167
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Of course everyone has their own perception of what something is worth- how could it be otherwise? For us it is a lot of the intangibles that are the deciding factor in selecting a place to stay when we visit WDW. We've stayed both onsite and off, and MUCH prefer staying onsite.

It doesn't just come down to dollars and cents (for us). Some times we drive. Other times we fly. Love being able to use DME and not having to get a rental car when we fly in. And even when we have our own car, we leave the driving to Disney 99% of the time. I love walking out to the bus stop early in the morning and arriving at our chosen park just about the same time as my eyes start focusing and I really wake up.

We occasionally use the EMHs, but only if it's convenient- it's not really a selling point for us. Who knows what the current EMH's will morph into over time? I'm one of the one's who will just wait and see what happens. I see no point in dwelling on all of the possibilities now- things will change or they won't. We'll like them or we won't.

We don't use the dining plans- they aren't a value for us, so aren't a deciding factor either.

Yes, many of the offsite deluxe hotels are very lovely. Cheaper. Good customer service. Decent food. But they just don't have that special feeling you get at the Disney resorts. And it's that unquantifiable "something magic" that is the deciding point for us- we'll keep staying onsite as long as we keep feeling it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #168
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Magical Express and Disney busses are enough for me to pay to stay onsite. And "the bubble". I go to WDW to escape real life.

If they did away with Magical Express and the park transportation, I would stay off site. But if they continue to provide both of those services - everything else is golden, IMO. I will gladly pay to stay onsite.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #169
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Interesting that the OP hasn't responded to any replies of his/her post
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #170
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Depending on the parks you want to visit, and the place you're staying, there are some that are some off-property choices that put you a lot closer to the parks than on-property selections.

For people who like to book "vacation packages", booked with things like dining plans, and "stay on the resort", Disney will probably always get that business and those people will probably always find it competitive with the other "vacation packages" they book elsewhere in the country. For people who are looking at the money, and for whom these other resort vacation packages aren't a comparison, the equation is continuing to disfavor Disney more and more.

The truth is that my kids have a blast at the family lake house, and we don't have to spend anything on lodging or recreation (short of fueling up the boat once a week). Disney prices were much more reasonable 10 years ago that we felt like going more often and felt like the value proposition was there. This began to unravel about 6 years ago or so, when increases at WDW started at twice the inflation rate.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #171
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

Yes, we agree it's about the "bubble"!

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #172
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

There really isn't a correct answer to the off property/on property question. It's different for every family and it's different for each family from trip to trip. Whether you're staying off property because you think it's a better value for your money, or staying on property for the convenience (transportation, dining plan, whatever) - only you know what works best for you.

Me? I'm an on property person all the way. For me, off property would just be doing a day trip from home - which I do from time to time. But I like the full 24/7 Disney experience much more, so I spend 3-4 weeks there every year. Sometimes it's at a value to save money, sometimes it's a deluxe or DVC to splurge, but I just enjoy the total Disney experience, and the fact that it doesn't stop when I exit the parks.

I've been going to WDW since it opened, and staying on property since 1982. I've seen perks for resort guests come and go. If they get rid of one thing, there will be something else around the corner.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #173
tracey1302
Planning Florida 2014!

We stayed at CBR for the first time in 2007 and now wouldn't even contemplate staying off site.

The transportation system is fantastic. I love how you can just hop on a bus and be where you need to be in like 10 minutes. I love how when you're going back to your resort, it says, 'You'll be home soon.'

The dining plan made our holiday the last time we went - it's fantastic being able to eat at fantastic restaurants every night and continue to be still 'in the magic.'

And the ambiance of Disney resorts is just

I love that there's a Disney shop

The Bagley/Mollet family trip - 19 May-2 June 2011 - Complete Trip Report

Furiously budgeting for my DFTW!

I hope we never lose sight of one thing. That it was all started by a mouse. - Walt Disney
tracey1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #174
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
Ok, where's the OP? 12 pages of discussion and he/she hasn't responded even once to explain his/her position? All opinions are valid, ould just be nice to have the OP participate as well. For me, staying onsite and paying a premium for the intangible "Magic" and theming is worth it.

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #175
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

I seriously doubt the OP was even remotely interested in starting a conversation since he gave no supporting evidence to support his claim. That being said, I know that there are more than a few people who would agree with him, but not me!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #176
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

I disagree with the OP that there is "no value" at all to staying on property. I do think the value presented from staying on property is declining over time (and expect it to continue to do so). For instance, the DDP may still have some value to certain people/circumstances, but most people who get it continue to do it out of habit, or convenience, while the actual value for the dollar is not there any longer.

However, people decide "value" based on many factors and what you get for each dollar isn't always the priority.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #177
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

I think it all boils down to budget. Rack rates for the onsite resorts are going up like everything else. There is a lot of competition at the off-site resorts and that is where the deals will be. However, places like Bonnet Creek are now charging for transportation to and back from the parks, per day, per person. It is still free for onsite guests. So start adding up these changes, the gap starts to lesson.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #178
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
Anyone that follows your advice when you give absolutely NOTHING to back it up, means nothing!

We have stayed on site, went off site on one trip and will never go off site again. And I'll actually tell people WHY WE LOVE on site.

1. Magical express
2. Disney transportation. We have had some minor issues in the multitude times we used Disney transportation, but still well worth it. Read below why
3. Theming
4. Cast Members
5. Dining - something for everyone
6. Landscaping: absolutely gorgeous, from the beaches, to fountains, to trees and shrubs, camping depending on your many choices that you choose from.
7. NO traffic back-ups to and from the parks from road construction to back-ups at lights to accidents.
8. Not having to deal with parking, and using the panic button to find your car
9. The only noise you hear outside your room/building is the sound of nature or the Disney carts, NOT road traffic.
10. Pool selection is very important to some guests. From best pool for small children, to zero entry, to water slides, and best pool bar to drink at. And the clown that scares some people away from that resort.

And more, but I'll stop now!
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #179
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

How about just not having to deal with the complete tourist nightmare Orlando is? I really beginning to dislike Orlando, and specifically the International drive area.
Traffic, people who are there really so not like tourists, unless its their job too.
Noise, trash, people vacationing in a non-family friendly way.

Many nice hotels , which i have stayed at, but after you leave to eat or go somewhere, its like the daily grind for us Dad's

WDW is an immersive experience, i never feel the grind at WDW deluxe resorts.

This is similar at many all inclusive resorts i have been lucky to stay at.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #180
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
How about just not having to deal with the complete tourist nightmare Orlando is? I really beginning to dislike Orlando, and specifically the International drive area.
Traffic, people who are there really so not like tourists, unless its their job too.
Noise, trash, people vacationing in a non-family friendly way.

Many nice hotels , which i have stayed at, but after you leave to eat or go somewhere, its like the daily grind for us
WDW is an immersive experience, i never feel the grind at WDW deluxe resorts.

This is similar at many all inclusive resorts i have been lucky to stay at.
as above
staying off-site is like staying home and looking at photos of vacations. then again, we would have no desire to go to, say....scotland (beautiful country) and stay in some modern highrise in a neighboring city. or visit
NYC, and stay in some you-could-be-anywhere-except-the-actual-vacation-destination hotel in NJ.

our time and money are too precious to be wasted on "almost" vacations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: