DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Sue's Mum
DIS Veteran

Any tips for checking out possible renters?

A couple of days ago I was asked to make a reservation for someone I do not know, the date of this reservation is April 1. I duly made the reservation, received the email confirmation but am awaiting hearing from the "renter", despite contacting her by PM two days ago and speaking to her on the telephone yesterday. Very reluctantly, I have drawn the conclusion that I am going to have to cancel the reservation and the points will go into holding.

Today I have searched and found that she asked at least five people for the same thing.

I do take pride in making reservations as quickly as possible for my renters and doing everything in my power to accommodate their wishes. If I did not do my best for them, I would be letting myself down and that would be impossible for me to live with. I feel so let down but no doubt I will recover, LOL.

So, do any of you experienced DVC owners who rent out points have any tips please? I would be so grateful for the help.

PS. So far all my previous rentals have been fine and this is the first one that has gone sour.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I have not yet rented but I probably would have not made a reservation within that 31 day mark without full payment upfront due to the issue with holding. Only thing you can do at this point is learn and move forward.

Good luck..

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
I have not yet rented but I probably would have not made a reservation within that 31 day mark without full payment upfront due to the issue with holding.
I agree. I will go one step further and say that I wouldn't make a reservation for someone I didn't know or had not rented to previously within the 31 day mark. I would need them to pay in full up front and understand it was non-refundable.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, some renters like to price shop and contact multiple owners looking for the best deal. Unless someone gives you the money up front, don't make the reservation when you are so close to the check-in date.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue's Mum View Post
A couple of days ago I was asked to make a reservation for someone I do not know, the date of this reservation is April 1. I duly made the reservation, received the email confirmation but am awaiting hearing from the "renter", despite contacting her by PM two days ago and speaking to her on the telephone yesterday.
I just re-read this part of your post. If you don't mind sharing more information, did the renter say something on the phone that suggests she was just price shopping and not sure she will be taking this trip? Did she say something to suggest she is not committed to working with you and is working with another owner? Did she ask for more time to send you the money?

ETA: Another red flag when renting out a DVC reservation would be if the person replying to your offer of points for rent is a new member of the DISboards with very few posts. In that situation, there is no DISboards history to review. I would be more inclined to enter into a business arrangement with someone who, based on their posts, seems to be a reasonable and helpful person here on the DIS.

Last edited by LisaS; 03-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
lodge
DIS Veteran

Like LisaS! Over 9200 posts and very helpful and kind!

Sorry this happened OP, and thanks for helping us learn.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Sue's Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I just re-read this part of your post. If you don't mind sharing more information, did the renter say something on the phone that suggests she was just price shopping and not sure she will be taking this trip? Did she say something to suggest she is not committed to working with you and is working with another owner? Did she ask for more time to send you the money?
No, nothing like that. I think the number is a cell phone number because she said "I am on my way there now and I will attend to it".

At the time of her enquiry I wondered if it could be some sort of April Fool "joke"!

However, all is not lost. If the worst came to the worst, we do have our own reservation in May and, hopefully, I will be able to re-arrange the points. I have yet to look into that.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear that. I have never rent nor been a renter. I do ask questions because I want to know what to expect should I ever be in that situation. Hopefully, we will use our points ourselves and not need/want to rent. I have 14 points that I can not use before our next trip. I decided to offer a night to my cousin who lives in Florida. He was thrilled!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I hope that you can use the points for your May stay!

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
I have not yet rented but I probably would have not made a reservation within that 31 day mark without full payment upfront due to the issue with holding. Only thing you can do at this point is learn and move forward.

Good luck..
Exactly. It's too great a risk to put points on the line like that last minute and have them go into holding. Did you not have any other form of contact information other than an email? I would not make a reservation that close without some form of payment before hand or additional verified personal information like a phone number and address. It 's fairly easy to verify someones address and phone.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

Bad move, should only rent inside the 30 day window to past customers or friends and family. Holding not that bad just post 60 day window and someone will be looking.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Don't make a reservation for a renter without payment in hand anytime leass than 60 days out. If you can't make the reservation because they waited too long and now it doesn't exist, you refund their money.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: