Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #151
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
the nature of the beast is that there will be some duds and some dying early. I imagine that they will deal with this very easily. If the battery dies, they give you a new band and link the new one to your profile. The entire process should take less than a minute. We already know that the replacement process should be fairly quick and painless since they will be selling upgrade bands.
But what we don't know is will you be able to test them, will you know when it dies, and most of all, will they charge for a replacement...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #152
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

But what we don't know is will you be able to test them, will you know when it dies, and most of all, will they charge for a replacement...
Testing seems fairly straight forward. Certainly, GS would be able to accomplish that easily enough. Also, I see no reason why replacement standard bands wouldn't be free for a number of reasons. First, they would certainly ant to resolve problems with dud or early dying batteries. Second, since they aren't made to last forever, guests will need new ones. This can be provided in one of two ways: sending a new band every time a new reservation is made, or replacing bands that die. Frankly, both options are super inexpensive for the company. The second is probably cheaper as shipping might actually cost more than the bands themselves.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #153
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Testing seems fairly straight forward. Certainly, GS would be able to accomplish that easily enough. Also, I see no reason why replacement standard bands wouldn't be free for a number of reasons. First, they would certainly ant to resolve problems with dud or early dying batteries. Second, since they aren't made to last forever, guests will need new ones. This can be provided in one of two ways: sending a new band every time a new reservation is made, or replacing bands that die. Frankly, both options are super inexpensive for the company. The second is probably cheaper as shipping might actually cost more than the bands themselves.
Yes, it certainly seems straight forward...my point is that it doesn't mean Disney will do it that way.

My speculation: I expect them to charge for replacement for lost bands, Same amount as they would charge for those who do not get them by default.

Prematurely failed bands may be replaced for free. But that might depend on what lifetime they will guarantee. A free resort package band might only be guaranteed for the length of stay (although will likely last longer), whereas an AP band would be expected to last at least a year.

As for the designer bands which will be an upcharge to begin with, who knows.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #154
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
WOW!

The delivery of the Magic Bands is really going to be "Disney quality"!

How impressive!

http://staree.com/attractions/136387833673016735
I know my daughter would love to have one to wear to school. As I've posted in a previous thread, this is going to be one of those must haves by kids at school.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #155
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
the nature of the beast is that there will be some duds and some dying early. I imagine that they will deal with this very easily. If the battery dies, they give you a new band and link the new one to your profile. The entire process should take less than a minute. We already know that the replacement process should be fairly quick and painless since they will be selling upgrade bands.
Sorry, but NOTHING at WDW takes less than a minute!
And when do you find out your battery has died? After standing in line with your family at the entrance, then be sent back out to GS to stand in line for your replacement? After standing in line for FP return and then be sent back to the front of the park to GS to stand in line for your replacement?
I am interested to learn how long the batteries in these things will last in general. I will assume that they will not replace your band until it doesn't work anymore, which in almost every scenario I can think of costs me touring time and an annoying inconvenience. If they issue a new band for every trip, or if AP bands are expected to work for the year, I will feel more assured about not getting stuck somewhere with a band that goes down.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #156
karen l
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
I think it's all very cool. By wearing one I'll be part of the Mickey Militia
I'm with you!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #157
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post

Sorry, but NOTHING at WDW takes less than a minute!
And when do you find out your battery has died? After standing in line with your family at the entrance, then be sent back out to GS to stand in line for your replacement? After standing in line for FP return and then be sent back to the front of the park to GS to stand in line for your replacement?
As I understand it, neither park entry nor FP return requires the powered chip. They both use the passive one.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #158
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

I like the idea of it. But the practical side of me says this thing is made of rubber, and it's hot and humid in Florida, which means this thing is going to stick to me and make me sweat. That I don't like.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #159
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I want one, all I get is a new plastic card.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #160
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

By the sounds of things, having an AP will mean we have a Magic Band. If we stay on property, we get a Magic Band. If we purchase PhotoPass +, we get a Magic Band.... Here's hoping they can at least all be put on the SAME Magic Band, I don't want one, let alone three...

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #161
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Can we have a magic band so that we can put a road Id tag attached! I have a road id bracelet with a medical alert so that would be a cool option!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #162
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
I like the idea of it. But the practical side of me says this thing is made of rubber, and it's hot and humid in Florida, which means this thing is going to stick to me and make me sweat. That I don't like.
Just because its a "wrist band" doesn't mean you actually have to wear it on your wrist. It could just as easily be slipped through a belt loop, a purse strap or even in a pocket.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #163
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
By the sounds of things, having an AP will mean we have a Magic Band. If we stay on property, we get a Magic Band. If we purchase PhotoPass +, we get a Magic Band.... Here's hoping they can at least all be put on the SAME Magic Band, I don't want one, let alone three...
I think that you are mistaken as to how the bands work. Your AP, resort information, and photopass aren't 'on' the band, at all. The only thing on your band will be a unique number identifying the band. All of your information will be stored in Disney's computer system. The system will simply use the band's unique identifier to reference your information.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #164
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

If I had to guess, you could likely get a replacement band at ANY gift shop. If your battery dies you probably just have to step into the nearest retail shop and have it replaced there instead of trekking back to GS.

Just a guess.

And remember, if you have a complaint about the band, just don't get one. Stick with the card.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #165
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
As I understand it, neither park entry nor FP return requires the powered chip. They both use the passive one.
This shows you how little I know about RFID technology So the passive power chip never wears out or requires a battery? Is the lifetime of the cards now being used unlimited? That is reassuring, how do you know if your powered chip is not working I wonder?
I really have only one problem at this point then with this system and that is what they might do to FP. I DO NOT want to have to pre-assign my ride times in advance and, if my plans change, have no option of using FP at another park or time. When traveling with extended family or meeting FL friends for the day, I do not want to have to coordinate FP days and times in advance in order to enjoy a day together.
If FP+ became available at park opening or say 6 AM via my cell phone or laptop or central kiosks in the park, I would be all over this. How sweet would that be??
Having to compete for FPs at 6 AM 60 days out with everyone else from home through WDWs notoriously (IMHO) flawed IT system makes me shudder. And will you have to do it day-by-day? Or will they do a 60+10 day system like they do for ADRs where people checking in ahead of you get to book all of their days at once, limiting the available pool of FPs in the coming days? We shall see.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: