Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,032

I don't think we'll ever see another country pavillion built...

The economic model that EPCOT was designed with is horribly obselete. And since Disney will cling for dear life to the funding deal they cut with 10 of the 11 original pavilions...I don't see how they can cut different deals with new countries or find any to bite on the old ones.

But they had better concentrate on EPCOT.

It costs too much to run to allow any MORE decay...it's attendance figures are very worrisome...and "edu-tainment" has been pushed away by the stupidity of the masses in many ways.

Mickey beware
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I don't think we'll ever see another country pavillion built...

The economic model that EPCOT was designed with is horribly obselete. And since Disney will cling for dear life to the funding deal they cut with 10 of the 11 original pavilions...I don't see how they can cut different deals with new countries or find any to bite on the old ones.

But they had better concentrate on EPCOT.

It costs too much to run to allow any MORE decay...it's attendance figures are very worrisome...and "edu-tainment" has been pushed away by the stupidity of the masses in many ways.

Mickey beware
Oh I dunno, blowing a few hundred million on a pavillion at Epcot is just the kinda thing the Greek government would do at the moment considering some of the other things they're trying to waste bailout money on.

Seriously wouldn't surprise me at all.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7

Oh I dunno, blowing a few hundred million on a pavillion at Epcot is just the kinda thing the Greek government would do at the moment considering some of the other things they're trying to waste bailout money on.

Seriously wouldn't surprise me at all.
Yeah...that's possible

Or I'm sure there are a few Greek multi-billionaires who use overseas accounts and untaxed income who could probably build a replica Parthenon out of their weekly allowance money privately and not even blink.

Guess it's all "relative"?
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Wow, thanks for the update! I bet it's Oz!!! Future World needs help, it needs to be redefined and the Land of Oz, could do it! Plus, Epcot featured a fabulous OZ themed garden, so it could be a sign of things to come!
What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears
 
WMorganS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post

What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
And fantasic creatures...
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb

What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
Nothing...

Drdisney has fallen into the biggest trap/delusion on the Internet this time:

The statement that there is anyway possible that Disney is looking to sink a half billion in construction costs and employee commitments in perpetuity to a movie that has done decent to well the past couple of weeks and will fade quickly once the next flick comes out...if it hasn't already.

Ok...pet peeve time...
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
rteetz
DIS Veteran
 
rteetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,972

I would really love for something incredibly new and different in Epcot. But will it come now? I don't think so. Disney just announced Disney Springs, in the midst of fantasyland expansion and Avatarland is still supposedly coming. That shoots it down for now. But I do think within the next 2-4 years we will see something new and exciting because disney loves spending money on construction. I just can't wait to see what or if something happens.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Disney!

[/url]
rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #23
Tekneek
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, GA
Posts: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
It costs too much to run to allow any MORE decay...it's attendance figures are very worrisome...and "edu-tainment" has been pushed away by the stupidity of the masses in many ways.
And nobody has ever paid more to enter Epcot than they will pay today, while having less to do there now (in 2013) than you could do in 1990.

So we pay 287% more for LESS attractions at Epcot than we got 23 years ago.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
PACVII
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 101

The new test track was a big mistake. Yes it needed some updates and a good cleanup but the money they wasted was just that, wasted. They ruined what they had. They need to update word of energy. One big draw back is the time to go through the attraction.
PACVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
momof2intx
DIS Veteran
 
momof2intx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Ok...pet peeve time...
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
What about Toy Story and Cars? They built a whole land in CA based on a movie....
__________________

1989-1990 AP Holder, 5/1994- offsite, 10/2002 - Disneyland, 5/2003- Buena Vista Palace, 5/2005-Hyatt Grand Cypress, 5/2006- Universal Studios,7/2007- POP , 2/2009 - CBR , 7/2009 POR, 6/2011, AKL, 6/2013 - CBR!!!



momof2intx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
~Hi yitbos! What do you suggest?!? Personally, I think the whole "future world" theme is impossible to "keep up" with -- at least OZ is timeless, in a sense and it's a classic that won't become dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Nothing...

Drdisney has fallen into the biggest trap/delusion on the Internet this time:

The statement that there is anyway possible that Disney is looking to sink a half billion in construction costs and employee commitments in perpetuity to a movie that has done decent to well the past couple of weeks and will fade quickly once the next flick comes out...if it hasn't already.

Ok...pet peeve time...
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
~Hey logic, I'm speaking of OZ in general -- not specifically tied to the recent film, but the essence of the entire story. I would love to see a sparkly Emerald City, Yellow Brick Road, a fabulous show like Wicked or the like! How about that? What do you suggest for Future World? Or, are you satisfied with its current state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2intx View Post
What about Toy Story and Cars? They built a whole land in CA based on a movie....
~Yes. You make an excellent point!
__________________
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #27
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^
 
Alice Royal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Twenty minutes from WDW. :D
Posts: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Hi yitbos! What do you suggest?!? Personally, I think the whole "future world" theme is impossible to "keep up" with -- at least OZ is timeless, in a sense and it's a classic that won't become dated.

~Hey logic, I'm speaking of OZ in general -- not specifically tied to the recent film, but the essence of the entire story. I would love to see a sparkly Emerald City, Yellow Brick Road, a fabulous show like Wicked or the like! How about that? What do you suggest for Future World? Or, are you satisfied with its current state?

~Yes. You make an excellent point!
First of all, the Oz franchise would not fit in at Epcot. AT ALL. I'd think that if Disney ever wanted to use that for an expansion, it would work at DHS, but even so, that franchise is actually becoming dated now. My generation still knows of the film, but not as well as those before us. Star Wars is the obvious choice for that park because it is more recent and its fan base is actually growing because of the new TV shows and such they've been producing.

Second, Wicked is a musical that is owned by completely different entities than those who own the L. Frank Baum Oz franchise. It also contradicts the original story in some places. I cannot see Disney using something it has NO stake in right now for an expansion.

Not understanding how you could even hope for a totally random franchise to come to a park that it doesn't even tie into. At least Avatar has a conservation/nature message.
__________________


THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!


THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
Tekneek
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, GA
Posts: 366

I don't think Disney cares too much about what would "fit" at Epcot. They've been trying to undo the original mission/purpose of the park for years. They aren't able, or at least aren't willing, to try to maintain any of that. To them, Future World is just a generic theme park area, while World Showcase is a place they have eating and drinking festivities. No part of that place is really trying to be what it was once promised to be and Disney doesn't mind.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer
 
Disneykidsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWA2 View Post
Maybe it's about rumored Brazil pavilion?
Just what we need. Another reason for more people from Brazil to visit.
__________________
DVC Member

Disneykidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #30
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer
 
Disneykidsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
I have it on good authority that it is an interactive pavillion featuring the Kardashians meet Honey Boo boo as The'New America'!
I ust threw up in my mouth a little.
__________________
DVC Member

Disneykidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.