Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #61
mycutiepatooties
DIS Veteran

We just got back last week. We used Tony Hinds for our airport transfer and we were very pleased. He has a large van and charged us 100.00 (not including tip) for a roundtrip transfer for 4 people from MCO to Royal Pacific. That included a complimentary grocery store stop. He was the driver for both legs of the trip. He was there early and very polite. I would recommend him. http://***************************************
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #62
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

This thread is now stuck.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #63
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Choices

OK, I am down to the last part of booking for our vacation this May (12-17). I have it narrowed down to Mears or Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle offers a discount if you use the code "saver" (Mouse-Savers). I read some online reviews of Mears, and the consensus seems to be to avoid them. The horror stories ran about 10 for each good review. I wonder if just unhappy folks posted reviews? I know that Mears provides the service for DME, and every time we've used that it has been great. I guess that it doesn't reflect service across their entire product line though.

Has anyone had experience with either of those two choices? At around $30 per person, round trip - they seem reasonable enough.

And yes, I realize that it probably won't be a bee-line shot to our hotel.

ETA - decided on Super Shuttle based on the good reviews offered by other DisBoards members that use them for DL transportation.

Last edited by DryCreek; 03-07-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: See ETA
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #64
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
OK, I am down to the last part of booking for our vacation this May (12-17). I have it narrowed down to Mears or Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle offers a discount if you use the code "saver" (Mouse-Savers). I read some online reviews of Mears, and the consensus seems to be to avoid them. The horror stories ran about 10 for each good review. I wonder if just unhappy folks posted reviews? I know that Mears provides the service for DME, and every time we've used that it has been great. I guess that it doesn't reflect service across their entire product line though.

Has anyone had experience with either of those two choices? At around $30 per person, round trip - they seem reasonable enough.

And yes, I realize that it probably won't be a bee-line shot to our hotel.
We took Mears from the airport...once. First we had to wait about 45 minutes for the van to fill up. Then we had to wait while everyone else was dropped off first. I think it took us about 2 hours.

I've never taken Super Shuttle or actually even heard of it. We take a cab. $100 return including tip.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #65
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycutiepatooties View Post
We just got back last week. We used Tony Hinds for our airport transfer and we were very pleased. He has a large van and charged us 100.00 (not including tip) for a roundtrip transfer for 4 people from MCO to Royal Pacific. That included a complimentary grocery store stop. He was the driver for both legs of the trip. He was there early and very polite. I would recommend him. http://***************************************
Thanks for posting this! I was able to book him for our upcoming trip...I really like the Publix stop!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #66
randybw1
Earning My Ears

Grocery store stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycutiepatooties View Post
We are going in June, how does the grocery store stop work? I'm assuming there will be others in the van and it might be/get crowded, so I'm wondering how many groceries we'll be able to get? This is how we offset some cost when we went before (We drove so didn't have this problem...)
randybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #67
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybw1 View Post
We are going in June, how does the grocery store stop work? I'm assuming there will be others in the van and it might be/get crowded, so I'm wondering how many groceries we'll be able to get? This is how we offset some cost when we went before (We drove so didn't have this problem...)
I booked him for June too. It is a private van. He told us we could stop at Publix for 30 minutes to shop.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #68
waikiki
Swiss'Milch'Cow !

Just check a taxi rate http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando, no ADR, and maybe cheaper...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #69
dedex13
Mouseketeer

Forgive my ignorance, but being a country bumpkin with just about no experience with taxis and some assertiveness issues, how do you "grab a cab" at the airport. Do you have to do the whole waving and whistling thing? Embarrassing, but I don't know if I could do that.

Also, I am considering staying at a hotel near the airport on my arrival and departure days since my flights will likely be arriving late and leaving early. I am a little concerned about getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the Universal hotel and back again. If it's going to be a huge hassle I might just spend the extra $$$ and just go straight to Universal.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #70
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedex13 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but being a country bumpkin with just about no experience with taxis and some assertiveness issues, how do you "grab a cab" at the airport. Do you have to do the whole waving and whistling thing? Embarrassing, but I don't know if I could do that.

Also, I am considering staying at a hotel near the airport on my arrival and departure days since my flights will likely be arriving late and leaving early. I am a little concerned about getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the Universal hotel and back again. If it's going to be a huge hassle I might just spend the extra $$$ and just go straight to Universal.
Follow the signs for ground transportation. Once there, you will see a employee who will direct you to a cab. It is that easy.

Did you check the hotel that is directly in the airport? Sometimes you can get some great prices.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #71
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedex13 View Post

Also, at the larger hotels there are usually taxis right there waiting for passengers. If not, just ask at bell service or someone by the front door and they will call one for you.

don't worry no hailing cabs like on the streets of Manhattan!

Just in case you don't know, it is customary to tip your cab driver 15 to 20%.

Have fun and no worries!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #72
waikiki
Swiss'Milch'Cow !

A taxi to the airport is like a hamburger at McDonalds! You always find some & that is like this anywhere in the world!
And for me who does not speak English well, I say "hello" to my cabdriver, I give my ticket with destination address and go! 30 minutes I am at the hotel.
From the hotel to the airport, I ask at desk, too easy !
(Thanks Google to help me translate...)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #73
Bethry
Mouseketeer

Want to ask just for my own peace of mind... Our flight doesn't get in until late (11:45 pm), there will still be taxis waiting around, right? Or would I be much safer to book something in advance?
Bethry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #74
randybw1
Earning My Ears

Great Service!

I just wanted to post that we just returned from Universal, stayed at the Hard Rock....We used Tony Hinds for our airport transfer and everything was perfect. He was waiting for us at baggage claim. He has a nice large van and charged us 100.00 for a round-trip transfer for 4 people from MCO to the Hard Rock. We stopped at a local Publix to buy groceries. He is very knowlegeable about Universal and had some great tips for us. He was the driver for both legs of the trip. He did collect the $100 after dropping us off and setting up his return time. He was there to pick us up right on time today. I gave him a $20 tip. http://***************************************

Hope this helps someone out. It sure did me!
randybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
VLee
DIS Veteran

Do you know if Tony provides transportation from Disney resort to Universal Hotel as well?? We are using Magic Express to Disney, but will be transferring to Hard Rock and from there to airport.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: