Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion
 
Stitch_lover_Sith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waipahu, HI
Posts: 352

I think the OP just does not have CM material. I was a CP and there was not much that can be said during that phone interview that will have casting flag you. Now when the OP posted their follow up of being accused of fraud by her last employer that will defiantly cause Disney to say thanks but no thanks.
__________________
Trips Planned
July 2013 Ironman Lake Placid September 2013 Dumbo Double Dare
Stitch_lover_Sith is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
MrsSparrow..
DIS Veteran
 
MrsSparrow..'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 3,162

Don't feed the troll.
MrsSparrow.. is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #33
Oath
Pusher Love Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15

I'm a troll because I didn't get a job at Disneyland?

This is the college program board and I want to get into dcp and will until I have no more interest in doing so.
Oath is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #34
SingWithFlowers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 178

I'm sorry, but I don't think it had to do with your race. Of course we weren't there, so maybe there are some things that just didn't come across in your OP.

I've seen black people (and other minorities) working at Disneyland and in the college program and Disney does make a point to have diversity. I've seen them give a disabled person a job another company wouldn't IMO.

The comment she made about you not smiling enough, I think that was kinda lame. I mean, working at Disney isn't all about having a big cheesy smile all the time, it's about attitude and the way you treat guests. I've interacted with cast members who don't necessarily smile at me, but they are nice and hospitable still.

It sounds like a miscommunication all around, I don't think it's right that they would tell you they're "going to hire you" in addition to telling you to call them and making a point about having lots of people to consider. What usually happens is they are considering you and just tell you to call to follow up, especially if there was a big pool of people they were considering. Maybe she made you feel like you were definitely getting hired. I've felt that way in job interviews that have gone great, but turns out I wasn't a fit for that job.

Anyway it's probably best for you to look at other reasons you may not have been hired and see if you can improve for future applications if you really want to work with Disney. When you focus on an uncontrollable factor like race it doesn't help you at all.

Again I'm sorry you felt it was racism, but I think it's best to look at other avenues rather than focusing on that. Especially because there's no solid evidence that racism is what happened here. I think it'd be really hard to do anything about it even if it was.

If you truly don't think you see many blacks working at Disneyland maybe you can write a friendly letter about your observation. That may put adding more diversity to that particular park on their radar. I would leave this experience out of it though.
SingWithFlowers is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #35
Nensense
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath View Post
I'm a troll because I didn't get a job at Disneyland?

This is the college program board and I want to get into dcp and will until I have no more interest in doing so.
People are assuming you are a troll for you assuming that just because you didn't get a job it was racism. I mean I'm usually a really mellow and chill guy, but you honestly need to grow up. Just because you didn't get a job doesn't mean it was due to racism. Disney hires COUNTLESS minorities for their parks. And pulling the race card just makes you look ignorant.
Nensense is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #36
Oath
Pusher Love Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15

I don't mean Disneyworld. They hire lots of Creole/Black people being that's it's in Florida and close to the south where many black people are.

I mean here in Los Angeles/Orange County area, Disneyland.

I have not seen any black HR workers, parking lot attendants, admissions attendants. Nothing.

I seen maybe one light skinned black lady working at Space Mountain and that was pretty much it.
Oath is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
SingWithFlowers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath
I don't mean Disneyworld. They hire lots of Creole/Black people being that's it's in Florida and close to the south where many black people are.

I mean here in Los Angeles/Orange County area, Disneyland.

I have not seen any black HR workers, parking lot attendants, admissions attendants. Nothing.

I seen maybe one light skinned black lady working at Space Mountain and that was pretty much it.
If that's true then your best bet is to write a friendly letter or email to someone who can address it. Again leave your particular experience out of it because it may sound bitter.

Sometimes there is racism and I don't think it's impossible for it to happen at Disney. Walt Disney as a company is all over diversity, but that doesn't mean a particular hiring manager isn't racist or that a certain race isn't under represented at a park. Bringing your concern to their attention in a polite manner is the best way to have that issue addressed.

I'll honestly have to see if I feel blacks are underrepresented at DLR next time I'm there. I'm inclined to say that's not the case, I'm an APer and have never noticed a lack of diversity at DLR. But then again I wasn't particularly looking for it either. I do recall a really helpful concierge being a young black woman.

I'm black by the way and I don't like to chock things up to racism although I do acknowledge it exists.
SingWithFlowers is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingWithFlowers View Post
If that's true then your best bet is to write a friendly letter or email to someone who can address it. Again leave your particular experience out of it because it may sound bitter.

Sometimes there is racism and I don't think it's impossible for it to happen at Disney. Walt Disney as a company is all over diversity, but that doesn't mean a particular hiring manager isn't racist or that a certain race isn't under represented at a park. Bringing your concern to their attention in a polite manner is the best way to have that issue addressed.

I'll honestly have to see if I feel blacks are underrepresented at DLR next time I'm there. I'm inclined to say that's not the case, I'm an APer and have never noticed a lack of diversity at DLR. But then again I wasn't particularly looking for it either. I do recall a really helpful concierge being a young black woman.

I'm black by the way and I don't like to chock things up to racism although I do acknowledge it exists.
At the same time, i would hope that Disney doesn't hire to fit diversity quotas, and focus on the quality of the applicant first and foremost.

As Oath said, there are more black CMs at WDW because there are more black communities in the south. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that DL has less black applicants, and in turn, a smaller pool to pick quality CMs from. Its just simply a matter of numbers after a certain point if you decide to look at it that way.
dairylives is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
SingWithFlowers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives

At the same time, i would hope that Disney doesn't hire to fit diversity quotas, and focus on the quality of the applicant first and foremost.

As Oath said, there are more black CMs at WDW because there are more black communities in the south. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that DL has less black applicants, and in turn, a smaller pool to pick quality CMs from. Its just simply a matter of numbers after a certain point if you decide to look at it that way.
I get that. Like I said I've never even noticed any lack of diversity at DLR. But if someone truly *wink* felt there were a diversity issue at any given place the proper way to go about things would be a lot different than op.

If OP is serious I think she should remove her posts. Although Oath you say you've got a job at Knotts now, so maybe you don't care.
SingWithFlowers is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Velvetring
Earning My Ears
 
Velvetring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London/US/EU
Posts: 12

I may understand your dissapointment about being denied the opportunity to live out your intentions of working for Disney, but accusing them of racism is not the best approach to have another chance (with the picture included in your profile). Disney is indeed a well diverse workplace, and it indeed may be other reasons for not being hired, that time. It is really dissapointing to see you reacting so foolishly to the situation...please find time to rethink your frustration.
Velvetring is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #41
MrsSparrow..
DIS Veteran
 
MrsSparrow..'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 3,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath View Post
I'm a troll because I didn't get a job at Disneyland?

This is the college program board and I want to get into dcp and will until I have no more interest in doing so.
Your first ever post on this board was provoked controversy - of course people are going to think its trolling.

Further to that, there are a huge number of things said in your initial post that is not Disney's recruitment protocol. Something just seemed off. You claim racism but offer no real evidence or implications of any racist comments made by anyone from the Walt Disney company. What do you know about this supposedly racist Disney worker? She might even come from a family of ethnic origin! You can't make assumptions because an interview went bad.

It sounds like you had a bad interview. Read the tips of on this website, network, speak to others, engage in a local careers service.
MrsSparrow.. is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #42
lilmissdisney216
Pawsitively Lovin a Labrador!
 
lilmissdisney216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southfield,MI
Posts: 1,298

As a young black woman, I have never seen a company so diverse as Disney. I was so amazed at the diversity around me and the different backgrounds and walks of life that worked/work at WDW and cannot tell you how amazing it was to be surrounded by those cultures. I am a former cast member and sorry that you didn't get hired it but its always about what you make of it. Disney is a very competitive company to get into and it can sometimes be competitive while working there. None the less, they are an amazing company to have on a resume. Attitude is everything, I wouldn't have let this deter you. Frankly, had it been me, I would have marched right back and tried again once eligible again (usually there's a wait period between interview/auditions. I know with entertainment its 6 mos.). Perhaps those that got hired on the spot fit what they were looking for or even so the area they were looking for (i.e. working in World Showcase where the theming and hiring is so important to the story of the area; or someone with lots of experience with children, hair or makeup and a whimsical personality for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique).

I've auditioned for entertainment a total of about 3 or 4 times for Walt Disney World and I haven't made it yet. But each time I audition, I walk away stronger and wanting to work harder to get it. I've been performing and auditioning for years so rejection is something I've been used to. Comes with the turf.

With Disney interviews, its about the resume, presentation, poise, articulation, and the personality. I went to my CP recruiting event at my college and while everyone else for the most part dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt (which isn't bad) I wore dress pants, shirt, and jacket with pumps and stood out to my presenters a little bit more. Doing those little extra things can help a lot and set you apart from the others. It also helped that I am a Disney buff/fan and that helped me even more.

Hope that makes sense.
__________________
2011 DCP Spring Advantage Alumni: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique HostessUpcoming: October 2014: Art of Animation/Disney Fantasy 7 Day Cruise

Last edited by lilmissdisney216; 03-23-2013 at 05:45 AM.
lilmissdisney216 is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 403

Double post

Last edited by CraftyMommy; 03-23-2013 at 07:55 PM.
CraftyMommy is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
If you KNOW you were discriminated against you should sue. Seriously. Sue them. What will end up happening is Disney will settle with you out of court. Disney doesn't want your story to end up in the newspaper.
Disney WILL NOT settle with you out of court. They would rather spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on legal defense, filing motions until you give up and go away. As soon as Disney settles with one person that looks like they are guilty of something. As soon as they settle with one person there will be many more people coming out of the woodwork looking to sue. I know this first hand. My cousin was injured severely on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. She went to the hospital by ambulance from the park. Yet Disney claims she was not injured there.

She went from an athletic, successful businesswoman to a disabled person with chronic back pain and has had several surgeries. She tried to sue Disney. She was healthy before her vacation with no history of pain or injury. She was spent out of court and she has tons of medical documentation to back herself up. Disney kept filing motion after motion. My cousin spent her savings on attorneys fees and was eventually told by several attorneys to give it up.

I am certain the original poster is not the first person to claim Disney is racist (whether it is true or not). I'm sure many people have tried to sue Disney in the past.

I love Disney and yet I hate Disney. So much about Disney is wonderful. But they are also a money making business with a HUGE legal department that they pour tons of money into. I've found, firsthand, that you cannot sue Disney and win.
CraftyMommy is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #45
MrsChdlc2011
Earning My Ears
 
MrsChdlc2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 17

I'm not trying to play the part of the villain here, but I really cannot stand when people try to play the race card. The comments the OP made regarding the person she interviewed with shows that she may have a bit of an attitude, and probably wasn't picked for that reason alone. To 'bash' somebody and claim you weren't hired because of your skin color (on a public board, no less) isn't going to get you very far.

On another note, I believe (at least based on where I live) that Caucasians are the biggest minority. Y'all don't see me pitching a fit about not being hired because I'm white - if I didn't get the job, there's a reason. (either I'm under or over-qualified, there's a better candidate, personalities don't mesh well, or I'm under-educated...)
MrsChdlc2011 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.