Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
No, not if it is water and factory-sealed. Please double-bag it with something absorbent between the inside and outside bags, such as wads of paper towels. If the pressure change causes a seal to break, you could soak someone else's luggage unless you have some way to reliably contain the leak within your bag.

FYI, there is a limit on personal transport of alcoholic beverages in most cases, but not because of any terrorism issue; it is because of tariff limits on transporting alcohol over state lines without paying state excise tax on it -- also known as bootlegging.
Baggage compartments of airliners a pressurized as part of the same system as the passenger compartment. If you experience pressure changes sufficient to mess with a commercial container, you probably have bigger problems.

OP might want to consider a "Brita" bottle with filter to carry as an option. Just refill as necessary. Cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendlier.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Baggage compartments of airliners a pressurized as part of the same system as the passenger compartment. If you experience pressure changes sufficient to mess with a commercial container, you probably have bigger problems.

OP might want to consider a "Brita" bottle with filter to carry as an option. Just refill as necessary. Cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendlier.
But wouldn't it be the same as packing large bottles of shampoo,conditioner, mouthwash (most like water), etc like we do every trip and never have a problem.

I put them in a large plastic bag just in case. But never had any leakage ever in 10 trips.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-CL and BWI

abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
A $10 shipment acceptance charge from the few resorts that charge it is still cheaper than buying individual bottles onsite. So is a grocery delivery service, as well as walking to the Hess station near Downtown Disney.
Don't really want to buy individual bottles on site since I can get 24 bottles here for only $2.29. And if I have them shipped it is about $7-$8 and then paying for the $10 Disney box fee is too much to pay for water in my opinion.

Would never walk to Hess station either for water.

Again just wandering if anyone has put water bottles in there checked luggage before.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
But wouldn't it be the same as packing large bottles of shampoo,conditioner, mouthwash (most like water), etc like we do every trip and never have a problem.

I put them in a large plastic bag just in case. But never had any leakage ever in 10 trips.
I agree that pressure isn't going to be a problem. I would be more concerned about what could happen if heavier bags are thrown on top of your bag. Water bottles are thinner plastic than shampoo bottles so the question is, if you have a bag full of water bottles and some really heavy bags are tossed on top of your bag, what happens? Do they just flex a bit and absorb the impact or could they rupture?

You could try an experiment. Fill your bag with water bottles. Fill two other bags with heavy items. Drop first one and then the second bag from a height of 3 or 4 feet on top of the water filled bag and see what happens!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Don't really want to buy individual bottles on site
Yes, that's been made clear. Posters have provided alternatives to packing 25+ pounds of water. You don't seem to like any of them. The $10 is only charged by convention properties; if you're not staying at one, there's no charge. CPT Tripps' suggestion of a filtering, reusable individual bottle is especially brilliant. Paying $2.29 for water is too much when it's available free. And plenty of DISers do walk to the Hess station.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Yes, that's been made clear. Posters have provided alternatives to packing 25+ pounds of water. You don't seem to like any of them. The $10 is only charged by convention properties; if you're not staying at one, there's no charge. CPT Tripps' suggestion of a filtering, reusable individual bottle is especially brilliant. Paying $2.29 for water is too much when it's available free. And plenty of DISers do walk to the Hess station.
That's all great. I really didn't need alternatives. I know what the alternatives are. In my first post I asked if someone has done this before not what else should I do.

FYI: I am staying at a convention hotel, BWI.

And the filtering bottle is "brilliant", I thought about all of these ideas too. Again just wondering if anyone else has tried this before.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's all great. I really didn't need alternatives. I know what the alternatives are. In my first post I asked if someone has done this before not what else should I do.

FYI: I am staying at a convention hotel, BWI.

And the filtering bottle is "brilliant", I thought about all of these ideas too. Again just wondering if anyone else has tried this before.
You may eventually get a reply from someone who says they have tried this. But just because they say they tried it successfully, it's no guarantee that it will "work" for you. I believe the main reason you're not getting targeted responses is because doing this appears senseless to most people. Too much weight, too much risk of both leakage and of damaging other passengers and/or the airlines property. Finding you have dripping wet, soaked luggage (and contents) at baggage claim doesn't exactly sound a great vacation start.

Easy answer-- have your preferred brand of water delivered, or buy it there.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I agree that pressure isn't going to be a problem. I would be more concerned about what could happen if heavier bags are thrown on top of your bag. Water bottles are thinner plastic than shampoo bottles so the question is, if you have a bag full of water bottles and some really heavy bags are tossed on top of your bag, what happens? Do they just flex a bit and absorb the impact or could they rupture?

You could try an experiment. Fill your bag with water bottles. Fill two other bags with heavy items. Drop first one and then the second bag from a height of 3 or 4 feet on top of the water filled bag and see what happens!
Thanks for your input. That would probably be the best thing to do.

I wonder if putting a fragile sticker on the luggage would work. But that would probably translate into throw me as hard as you can and pile every suitcase you have on top of me.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

FYI to anyone who is following along. You can get FREE water at any of the counter service restaurants by simply asking. It isn't bottled water, but you can get a cup of water for free.

Duds

Last edited by dudspizza; 03-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
dudspizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, it is the same. Just suggesting a "green" option.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Ok, I'll bite.

I successfully brought bottled sports drink with me in my checked luggage. I was running the marathon and wanted the same concoction that I had trained with. WDW tap water (even carbon-filtered) bothers my stomach, and the grocery delivery services were way more expensive than bringing it from home. I had plenty of room for souvenirs on the way back. (In this case, it was a bottle of red wine.)

No big deal, as long as your bag isn't overweight (and you've probably thought that through by now). You could even wrap it in one of those giant ziplock bags. Factory-sealed plastic drink bottles are pretty strong. They manage to ship them all over the place without breaking.

As others have mentioned, the cargo hold is pressurized. They'd have a lot of problems if it wasn't.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did you try doing a search on this topic before starting a new thread? I have seen dozens of threads on this board where this issue as been discussed ad nauseum.
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

I successfully brought bottled sports drink with me in my checked luggage. I was running the marathon and wanted the same concoction that I had trained with. WDW tap water (even carbon-filtered) bothers my stomach, and the grocery delivery services were way more expensive than bringing it from home. I had plenty of room for souvenirs on the way back. (In this case, it was a bottle of red wine.)

No big deal, as long as your bag isn't overweight (and you've probably thought that through by now). You could even wrap it in one of those giant ziplock bags. Factory-sealed plastic drink bottles are pretty strong. They manage to ship them all over the place without breaking.

As others have mentioned, the cargo hold is pressurized. They'd have a lot of problems if it wasn't.
Thank you my friend. You have given me hope.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Did you try doing a search on this topic before starting a new thread? I have seen dozens of threads on this board where this issue as been discussed ad nauseum.
Sorry to have made you "sick".

Search wasn't working so no I did not.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

When this board's search feature isn't working, Google works. In addition to a couple of DIS threads, there were results from ask.com, Cruise Critic, mousebuzz, and more. And again, the TSA website is a great source.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: