Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #16
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercod View Post
when the wait staff found out you had the Disney Dinning Plan they would jump for joy and would work hard on getting you to purchase the most expensive everything on the menu LOL ;-)
They are gutted if you don't order dessert, they will offer you a smaller portion something different to the menu or pack it up to take away, they want their 18%

Quote:
Yes but a company makes money from customers and if enough of them think it was better the way they had it before, or that many feel an option to pay more so they can just grab their key card and go. They will listen if there is profit in it.
I have done free DDP for past 4 years, been great but for me they have increased costs too much so back to offsite this year. Trouble is Disney are still getting plenty to take up their offers so they must be doing something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworm9 View Post
Some mentions on this thread about people in character suits. This is a lie right? They are the actual characters. Ssshhhh
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

We did the DDP back in the day when tips were included,but that was also in the day when their was no such thing as free dining.When we have had the free dining i can honestly say that the level of service has been the same,buffet or signature.It is common knowledge that servers get a low wage,its a USA culture not a Disney one, so am more that happy to pay 18% to any server.We even payed 20% twice last year(Ron-California Grill & Oscar-Yachtsman Steakhouse) only once not paying at all for atrocious service.If your a party of six then you know (and can budget beforehand) approximately what the extra cost will be, but i would also hope that if you do get the same atrocious service as we did once it can be removed.
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
What's funny is when I booked the DDP the Disney person told me the reason they removed the automatic gratuities and "allow" guest to pay it themselves was many guest felt they didn't get as a good a service because the people serving just expected to get the gratuity automatically. Don't get me wrong I did tip on top of the Disney gratuity for amazing service but honestly that's a rubbish excuse for removing it from the Dinning Plan especially when they automatically add it if you have a bigger family ;-)

DDP is not exactly cheap and if they could do it in 2005 all the way up to 2009 (and it included everything), they should still be able to do it now or offer an option, so you can just grab your room key and go, again don't mind paying more for that, because that's a value added service.
As far as I can remember when the tips were removed from the DDP in 2008 it was done so because of negotiations with the unions regarding servers wages. At that time the cost of the DDP was also lowered slightly. The DDP only included everything up to 2007.

You have chosen to upgrade to the DxDDP therefore as a large group you have to accept that the tips are going to be automatic and that is a cost you should have budgeted for.

And yes I have been in a large party but I have never considered having them adjust my auto gratuity even at buffets as I knew it was going to be there when I chose and booked my ADRs.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Didn't realise OP had upgraded to Deluxe DDP, Ouch, that's a lot of money on tips.
We struggled to use our credits on regular DDP, Deluxe is a lot of food, you won't be hungry for 10 days.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
mackay_j
DIS Veteran

2 things here.

1 watch out in the sig restuarants- Some are fab- but tips can run to near $100 for a family of 4 (we had this in the flying fish they offered us the top main course in the rest as a special offer $69 - not always on for dd plan and also added in 'free starters') Oh and we didn't splash out on alcohol/drinks - 2 cocktails + 2 glasses wine + 4 soft drinks/waters.

2. To thoses that have been used to eating ofsite cheaply- We were there over Xmas (well over at tampa) and found the prices have jumped - I mean really jumped. We only ate at more basic places as we were just having a few days at busch ahead of a cruise. We went to Olive garden and Red Lobster and for the 4 of us spent at least 50% more on each meal than we have done in the same places a few years ago last time Xmas 2010 (didn't eat off site last summer 2011 as on the dining plan). Most mains were all in the region of / $17-$22. The freebies they used to give out caesur salads/breads etc all now add on a few more $. Just a heads up for those that haven't been for a few years or like us have used the dd plan in recent years.

To add to this - I am amazed that people manage to eat there way through the delux plan - we struggled with the reg plan- and we love eating out and went to several sig resturants
mackay_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackay_j View Post

2. To thoses that have been used to eating ofsite cheaply- We were there over Xmas (well over at tampa) and found the prices have jumped - I mean really jumped. We only ate at more basic places as we were just having a few days at busch ahead of a cruise. We went to Olive garden and Red Lobster and for the 4 of us spent at least 50% more on each meal than we have done in the same places a few years ago last time Xmas 2010 (didn't eat off site last summer 2011 as on the dining plan). Most mains were all in the region of / $17-$22. The freebies they used to give out caesur salads/breads etc all now add on a few more $. Just a heads up for those that haven't been for a few years or like us have used the dd plan in recent years.
I find there is a difference between Orlando (themepark area) and the rest of Florida for both food & hotel prices.
Just double checked a few places as we haven't eaten offsite since last Nov but in the past 5+ years places like Orlando Alehouse, Chilis etc have only risen about $1/entrée.
You also need to plan, look for Olive Garden 2 for $25 3 course meals, free entrees, free desserts, 20% off, BOGOF etc. I go with a folder full of vouchers.
Turn up and pay menu price and it can be more than expected.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
mackay_j
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
I find there is a difference between Orlando (themepark area) and the rest of Florida for both food & hotel prices.
Just double checked a few places as we haven't eaten offsite since last Nov but in the past 5+ years places like Orlando Alehouse, Chilis etc have only risen about $1/entrée.
You also need to plan, look for Olive Garden 2 for $25 3 course meals, free entrees, free desserts, 20% off, BOGOF etc. I go with a folder full of vouchers.
Turn up and pay menu price and it can be more than expected.

We usualy would but as it was only for 3 meals we didn't bother (or have time as we didn't know we would be able to go until 6 days before we due to travel- ill family member). Our last meal was in the Olive Garden on the 192 (as we flew home from MCO - tampa had no flights by the time we booked). I just checked my recipt and mains were $16, $17, $20 an $22(steak) salads addn $2 (as wanted caesar not house). We also had eaten there a few years ago - and I am sure we did not pay that much. (but we may, as you suggested, have used coupons as the girls always collect them - wonder where they got that from )
mackay_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As most of you seem to be saying don't do buffet's however as most of our buffet's are character meals, I do hope the person in the suit gets a share of the tips and not the full amount going to the person who delivered 1 drink to the table and removed the plates ;-)
No the suits don't get any tip, they get full pay. Even more than the other Front of House staff, because of what they do. The servers don't usually keep all the tips to themselves though. I guess who that is shared with depends on the restaurant. I can only speak for the one in the Norwegian pavilion in Epcot, where the servers shared tips with the foodrunners and the bartender. Unless it's changed it's 1% for each.

WDW CM: Feb. 2006 - March 2007 and Aug. 2008 - May 2009 Previous trips: Feb. 2007 (Saratoga Springs), Sept. 2007 (Off-site), Sept. 2010 (POP), Sept. 2012 (POFQ) Next trip: Disneymoon Nov 13th - Dec 4th 2014
GirlDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

The tip has not been included in the DDP for years now. I'm sure we were tipping in 2009?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
The tip has not been included in the DDP for years now. I'm sure we were tipping in 2009?
Yep - it changed January 2008

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
royal99
Earning My Ears

I will never understand the American/ disney way of tipping its not a tip it's an extra charge to get the servers wage up-to an acceptable level. A tip should be how much good service you think you received during the meal, but I understand that is how it's done state side but I will never get my head round it.

Question for you out of interest on DDP if a group 6 had bad service and just paid the bill with no Tip and just upped and left would that count the same as not paying for part of your food/drink bill? If the manager called the police could you be charged? ( not thinking of doing it just interested how it would worked out legally)
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal99
I will never understand the American/ disney way of tipping its not a tip it's an extra charge to get the servers wage up-to an acceptable level. A tip should be how much good service you think you received during the meal, but I understand that is how it's done state side but I will never get my head round it.

Question for you out of interest on DDP if a group 6 had bad service and just paid the bill with no Tip and just upped and left would that count the same as not paying for part of your food/drink bill? If the manager called the police could you be charged? ( not thinking of doing it just interested how it would worked out legally)
I think I heard that they can't force you to pay a tip, but I'm not sure. I hate having to tip when I feel the staff don't deserve one, because that's how we are in Britain! Besides here 10% is an acceptable tip yet for really good service yet in the US it is rude!

I don't see why waitstaff should have to rely on tips to make it to minimum wage. I guess it does give them an incentive to work hard and please the guests. Some people tip mouse keeping which I didn't even think of doing.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
royal99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth

I think I heard that they can't force you to pay a tip, but I'm not sure. I hate having to tip when I feel the staff don't deserve one, because that's how we are in Britain! Besides here 10% is an acceptable tip yet for really good service yet in the US it is rude!

I don't see why waitstaff should have to rely on tips to make it to minimum wage. I guess it does give them an incentive to work hard and please the guests. Some people tip mouse keeping which I didn't even think of doing.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Totally agree with you. When I am out friendly good service I give great tips. Average to poor service gets nothing.
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDreamer
They wouldn't take of the gratuity just because you don't feel it's right to pay it. It's a Disney policy. In the US servers depend on their tips to pay for their bills. A server there don't get full pay as they would here in the UK. When I was a server in Disney, I got paid $3.50 an hour. If you get bad service, then that's a different matter. Then you could complain to a manager that then should remove it. But as long as the server is doing their job, there's no reason why you shouldn't pay. If it's that big of a deal, then don't do the buffets.

And to tinkerpea: What a horrible story! Your reservations aren't linked at all, so another restaurant wouldn't be able to see any comments they would choose to put into your bookings.
It was our Disney wedding and honeymoon and so I was so upset when he spoke to us like that and told us that was what he was going to do!

We always tip well, I was a silver service waitress in my teen years and I know how hard the job can be, we alway tip here in the UK so I always make sure to budget for my tips in the US!

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #30
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Would people refuse to pay the tax on goods because it is calculated separately not as part of the goods price? No. Because we know that's just the way tax works in the US. This is just the way wait service staff are paid. You're not doing them a favour. It's just culturally different. It is a lot of money but its not extra, just part of the price. I would note I have seen on US boards US citizens saying they tip less on buffets to be fair. As for what the wait staff do. I have always had great service at the buffets. Drinks refilled several times, plates cleared quickly, advice about the food. I think buffet staff have probably spent more time at our table than in ordinary TS places when I think about it. I did waitressing as a kid. It's a horrible job. I always tip 20%.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: