Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
nope.. and shame on anyone that bilks their company while they do.

Be great to see them lose money out of their check and cry for all the time they blow on NOT working..

how hard is it to EARN your paycheck and work 8 hours..
Scrooge is that you? McDuck that is.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Sometimes. I am a knowledge worker in a creative field, so sometimes I need to let the "boys in the basement" (thanks to Stephen King) knock things around before I can solve a problem. When I need a mental break, sometimes Dis does it. Other times, I get up and go for a short walk.
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #33
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
Scrooge is that you? McDuck that is.
Sorry that the concept of working a full shift without surfing the 'net is such a horrible thing.

There is a reason companies spend TONS of money to stop people that do waste even more money wasting time when they are being paid.

tell you what.

Give me one person here that would hit a check out counter and not complain if the person was doing something else but taking care of them at that point..

If you are surfing the net at work you are wasting your customers times.. Your companies time. You are being paid to NOT do your job.. that simple

Want to spin it anyway and you still lose. If you are on the clock and on the net for stuff not related to your job, you are stealing from them..

that simple.
disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
SAT
Earning My Ears

Rarely. When I do it's only during one of the rare times I don't have to work through lunch.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #35
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Nope my company blocks all message boards and social media sites. But I used to on my lunch years ago when it wasn't blocked.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #36
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
Sorry that the concept of working a full shift without surfing the 'net is such a horrible thing.

There is a reason companies spend TONS of money to stop people that do waste even more money wasting time when they are being paid.

tell you what.

Give me one person here that would hit a check out counter and not complain if the person was doing something else but taking care of them at that point..

If you are surfing the net at work you are wasting your customers times.. Your companies time. You are being paid to NOT do your job.. that simple

Want to spin it anyway and you still lose. If you are on the clock and on the net for stuff not related to your job, you are stealing from them..

that simple.
Clearly you have no idea of the variety of jobs that are out there. I can't surf the Internet at work other than on my lunch hour--90% of my day is providing therapy to kids, and besides, I put in so many "off the clock" hours, I would only be hurting myself. Most professional jobs are not "work hard for 8 hours" but rather "get these tasks done" propositions anyway.

On the other hand, I visit another forum that has a ton of IT guys who are sitting around waiting for someone to need them (like if the network crashes). If the boss doesn't care that they entertain themselves while they wait, how is it bilking the company?
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Couldn't if I wanted to.

The only thing we can access, other than the internal system, is the JoAnn's website, and the JoAnn's employee portal website. Everything else is blocked.

I wouldn't have time anyway.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
keri125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95

tell you what.

that simple.
And clearly you work at a boring, menial job where you do not have to think on your feet, put out fires, listen/care/commiserate to others, assist others in making life-changing decisions, and be mentally/emotionally exhausted at the end of the day. Sometimes a five to ten minute break to mentally relax is sorely needed and actually makes me a more productive worker. And I have never ignored a participant or not finished my work within timelines because I was on the web. Talk about black and white thinking - sheesh. I would bet you are in a management position where you are not we-liked by your employees!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #39
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

I usually dont have time. My day is half administrative and half working directly with kids. So the time I have for admin work is generally pretty busy with tasks I need to do. Luckily for me if I dont have a lot of admin work I can come in later so I am not sitting around with nothing to do. I might visit once every couple of weeks
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #40
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

the internet is blocked at my job (except for our company's website) but I use my phone app to DIS when it's slow at work
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #41
indimom
Are We There Yet?

When I had a home day care, I dissed during nap. It was something quiet I could do while waiting for the kids to wake. Moving around the house would wake up the light sleepers.

Now that I worked nights at a group home, the assigned tasks only take a couple hours of an 8 hour shift. We aren't supposed to do the clients work for them, we are there to help them be self-sufficient.
So, the rest of the time I'm doing homework (I'm back in school) and playing on the Dis. Boss is well aware that I do. Other staff read books or watch tv so there is nothing 'wrong' with how I choose to burn that 6 hours of my night.
Thank god, because I could never manage working 8 hours, school, studies, and my family any other way. I don't make much, but I very much appreciate this job!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: