Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
A mobile conveyance?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmouse2008 View Post
wait...... You are in a wheelchair??

T
Refreshing your memory.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
kandb
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, making inappropriate comments about Catholics is tolerated by the media. The same kind of comments would never be accepted if made about Jews, African American's or Muslims. It's sad and I personally don't know why it's tolerated.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I really don't see any problem with the podcast crew making jokes. There was one time they did go to far and they did edit it out of the show later on.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #35
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
Unfortunately, making inappropriate comments about Catholics is tolerated by the media. The same kind of comments would never be accepted if made about Jews, African American's or Muslims. It's sad and I personally don't know why it's tolerated.
Really? I am Catholic so I am sort of on your side but I have heard a LOT of comments made by people in the media about the groups of people you are saying to be immune. I do not believe that the comment on the DIS (which, IMO, was said in jest) can be compared to some of the horrific things that were said publicly after 9/11 about Muslims. Comments, I would like to point out, that were tolerated by the media and not told as a joke.

I am not saying that OP should not be offended. We all have our own line drawn in the sand. I think a letter to Pete and the team would work.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Another Catholic-raised person chiming in. The comment in question must not have offended me, because I can't even remember it. Of course, you'd have to try really really hard to offend me, particularly with generalizations or jokes. My family must be in the mafia because I'm Italian? I must like to drink because I'm Irish? Not offensive at all... and both true, by the way

If you listen to the podcast for any length of time, you know that nothing is off limits. They make fun of themselves just as much as they make fun of everyone else. They are quick-witted, sarcastic, and speak off the cuff. If that's not the kind of humor you enjoy, then maybe this isn't the podcast for you.

ShesAPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #37
smw
Mouseketeer

Was the joke about Catholics or pedophiles who just happen to be catholic?
smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
smw
Mouseketeer

Either way, as a Jew with plenty gay and black friends, being offended by some catholic joke is a little amusing in itself.

Fauxpression, anyone?
smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #39
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

There is, and always has been, a strange duality that exists between what can be said aloud on The Podcasts and what can appear in print on the boards.

The podcasts *often* veer into various sexual innuendos, political rants, and comments on everything from race to sexual orientation.

If any of these appeared in print on the board, they would promptly 'dissappear' with a "please refer to podcast rules" note left in their place.

Admittedly, this is kind of an odd practice, but one that I've grown used to over the years.

As a gay man myself, I've often "LOL'ed" at some of the topics that have, um, arisen over the years, all the while taking it with the good humor with which I know it's intended, and also knowing that there is NO WAY in "heck" I could could ever start a like-minded thread like that in actual print.

Sex, religion and politics and the three big "no-no's" on these boards. This is understandable since nothing can "push a persons' buttons" more quickly than any or all of these topics.

Still, on the actual podcast, their envelope gets pushed as much as possible without (usually) upsetting anyone too badly.

Occasionally, that envelope breaks.

It's a small price to pay, IMO, for such an entertaining show.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #40
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw
Either way, as a Jew with plenty gay and black friends, being offended by some catholic joke is a little amusing in itself.

Fauxpression, anyone?

Wow.... With a lineup like that you really are in a vulnerable position!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #41
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Well, I am gay and Catholic and practicing (shocker, I know). Basically the Vatican insults my family on a very regular basis without remorse.

So why am I practicing? Well, I take what good I get from my religious upbringing, and leave the rest. And that is exactly what you can do with a show like the DISunplugged.

No one is going to agree with everyone all the time. What offends one, will undoubtedly make another laugh. I believe as long as no one is being bullied or harmed, we can live harmoniously accepting the different views of those around us.

And I don't for a second believe the Catholic church is being bullied by the media. Pope jokes and calling a spade a spade, well, I'm sorry, but if you did the crime you'll do the time - negative portrayal by the media is a fairly light sentence for some of the things they are guilty of.

So, while you have every right to be offended, you also have freedom to let one slide by realizing ALL groups are offended by someone's idea of a joke from time to time (we just notice it more when it's our own), or you also have the choice to turn it off.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
pdarrah
It's nice to know you are real, too
It might have fallen off or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
Totally disagree with this - inappropriate comments are made about these groups regularly. Particularly Muslims.

At the moment, it is more the opposite for Catholicism. As a non-catholic, I am sick and tired of all the pope coverage that looks like propaganda and glorification of this one religion all over the news right now. Particularly annoyed by the frequent statement from major news organizations that he is "the world's spiritual leader". Pretty sure most Protestants, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Atheists, etc. aren't looking to him for spiritual leadership. (Catholics are less than 18% of the world's population)

The group that truly has something to complain about with inappropriate comments is the LGBT community. Truly horrific comments are made regularly. I'm not even directly effected and am often horrified.
We usually visit 2 times per year (spring & fall)
DCL: Magic cruises: Oct 04, Oct 05, Jan 07, Aug 08, Oct 10, Fantasy Nov 12

pdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #43
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarrah View Post
Totally disagree with this - inappropriate comments are made about these groups regularly. Particularly Muslims.

At the moment, it is more the opposite for Catholicism. As a non-catholic, I am sick and tired of all the pope coverage that looks like propaganda and glorification of this one religion all over the news right now. Particularly annoyed by the frequent statement from major news organizations that he is "the world's spiritual leader". Pretty sure most Protestants, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Atheists, etc. aren't looking to him for spiritual leadership. (Catholics are less than 18% of the world's population)

The group that truly has something to complain about with inappropriate comments is the LGBT community. Truly horrific comments are made regularly. I'm not even directly effected and am often horrified.
I completely agree. I didn't catch the comment. Can some one PM me what it was?

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
Speaking only for myself......I personally do not believe in political correctness at all. I find political correctness to be annoying. I also feel that today's society, as a whole, has gotten too uptight. Life is too short to get upset over a person's comments.

The show is what it is, and the team are who they are. Anyone who is upset by it, just should not listen. The show has been successful for many years with the same brand of humor. I hope it continues for years to come.
Amen, amen, my friend!

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #45
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

To me, there’s a huge difference between cultural sensitivity (good) and political correctness (bad.) So, when Pete tweets something like “Kathy’s gay”, that’s funny. If Pete were to say “Kevin and John’s marriage disgusts me because they are two dudes” that would not be funny. Right?
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: