DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

Question - 25pts

If we do not currently own a DVC, can we purchase a 25pt contract? We like to rent points for our vacations, I am thinking that by purchasing a 25pt DVC we can then trade points and have full control over our reservations.

Thank you for any help you can provide
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

You can purchase any amount you would like. You would only have control of the reservations you make with those points. You would not control those you are renting from a DVC member.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
scrap_heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbound09 View Post
You can purchase any amount you would like. You would only have control of the reservations you make with those points. You would not control those you are renting from a DVC member.
Can't we transfer points from another member though to our account?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Can't we transfer points from another member though to our account?
you are allowed one transfer per year. yes.

but to get a 25 pt contract, you'll have to find one resale and they can be somewhat rare, and go quickly when they show up. (they also tend to cost more per pt than larger contracts, partly due to pricing and partly due to closing costs.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know if people who rent would be as willing to make a transfer? Maybe some that rent out points could chime in.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Like a previous poster said, small (25) point contracts are hard to come by. 25 points won't get you much. You can transfer points in but make sure you get enough for your purposes because you only get one transfer per year, in or out, not both. You should make sure they are bankable too in case you don't need to use them all.

If you want to stay at a certain resort and book early at 11 months, you must have those resort points and if they aren't the same as your points they can't be combined until the 7 month mark.

There is also the up to 24 one-time-use points you can buy from MS. They cost $15 pp and can only be purchased at 7 months.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

Due to the limitations (one transfer in or out) finding someone to transfer points isn't as easy as it used to be. Its probably better just to rent.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
bkny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub
Like a previous poster said, small (25) point contracts are hard to come by. 25 points won't get you much. You can transfer points in but make sure you get enough for your purposes because you only get one transfer per year, in or out, not both. You should make sure they are bankable too in case you don't need to use them all.

If you want to stay at a certain resort and book early at 11 months, you must have those resort points and if they aren't the same as your points they can't be combined until the 7 month mark.

There is also the up to 24 one-time-use points you can buy from MS. They cost $15 pp and can only be purchased at 7 months.
Just to clarify is it once per year or once per ownership for the 24 points
bkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Another transfer issue is that according to Disney rules, money can not change hands for the transfer. Repeating yearly transfers might raise questions.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
scrap_heaven

Thank you very much! We are seriously thinking about buying DVC but I think it might be next year. For our vacation needs I think we want 200ish.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkny View Post
Just to clarify is it once per year or once per ownership for the 24 points
once per year.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
spears2008
Earning My Ears

I did this very thing -- We purchased a 50 pt BWV contract to "get our foot in the door" so to speak. We were very motivated to close in time to take advantage of the great Premium Annual Pass discount that was offered last fall. As DVC members we were able to purchase PAP for our group of 8 and will be using those passes for at least 2 trips this year (hoping for 3). The PAP cost about the same as we had budgeted for our first weeks' tickets -- we now effectively have "free" tickets for our 2nd trip, a savings of over $300 per person, or about $2500. That made the cost of our DVC contract only about $1500 after taking into account this savings. Our contract came fully loaded with 150 points ready to use, which we would have paid at least $10 per point to rent, or the total $1500 remaining purchase price. You can look at it that we received the contract for the cost of 1 year's worth of annual dues (less than $300), which is the only cost that we wouldn't have incurred anyways.

Going forward we'll be able to use the contract to transfer points in from other members (rentals) and have small stays every 3 years or so. We also have access to the dvcmember website to check availability and browse. I'm a control freak and impatient, so waiting on a renter to provide me with information is tough for me.

A word of warning though: Watch out for the DVC bug. It is contagious! We ended up purchasing a 220 point BLT contract only 1 week after our offer was accepted on the small BWV contract.
spears2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
It's an interesting idea, but I don't know if people who rent would be as willing to make a transfer? Maybe some that rent out points could chime in.
Having done both, I must say that I prefer to do a transfer. Basically, once the deal is done, it's done. You elevate any risk of the renters causing damage to their room. One caveat though is that I require full payment before transfering the points. Yes, it puts more risk on the renter, but if something does not go well, I can return the money. The renter cannot return the points.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
Having done both, I must say that I prefer to do a transfer. Basically, once the deal is done, it's done. You elevate any risk of the renters causing damage to their room. One caveat though is that I require full payment before transfering the points. Yes, it puts more risk on the renter, but if something does not go well, I can return the money. The renter cannot return the points.
Just to clarify, for new renters out there, transfers are only available between DVC members.

Someone who wants to rent a DVC reservation and is not already a DVC owner would have to find an owner willing to rent, not transfer.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
chitwnnole
Earning My Ears

I actually just got confirmation on a 25 point contract today. I did this so that I could buy a little at a time on a cash only basis. I am real excited and look forward to adding more soon LOL

25 point ones are hard to find. I had a hard time getting a couple of 50 point ones to bite on my offers and found they all went for asking price
chitwnnole is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: