Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #1276
mbvisitor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli View Post
QUESTION OF THE DAY
Has anyone ever had a dream about Disney?

Last night I dreamt that I was walking with my 2 daughters into MK, we were surprised to be there. It looked more like a small airport with a people mover and Disney posters. We were the only ones there and it was so cool to be there when it was empty. We got to the castle and I wanted to take a pic with the girls by the bronze statue of Dumbo, but had trouble finding it around the castle...anyway DD7 was dancing around a fountain and fell in! She can't swim. She couldn't in my dream either. It was deep and once I pulled her out she danced in excitement and fell in again. There were CMs all around with their feet in the fountain.
I did too last night! I was checking in, don't know which resort, with 2 girl friends from high school (that would 18ish years ago!) I was upset that I didn't bring my camera and iPhone to Disney!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #1277
msyjoa
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli
QUESTION OF THE DAY
Has anyone ever had a dream about Disney?
Yes, unfortunately it was more of a nightmare! I dreamed that my dd was lost. I'm a bit nervous about her in a crowd so I'm betting I have several more dreams like this to look forward to!!
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #1278
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

Hi team August. My family is hoping to become members but will need free dining to make it this year. Have never been to disney. Couple of questions.

WNY ers: what flight prices would you grab onto? We never fly so not sure what a good deal is and want to grab something if I see it.

I have become obsessed with DIS board. Once in awhile I have ran across random posts where certified planners are offering great deals. Any special spot I could be checking for these? Thanks in advance for input!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #1279
akayf
Mouseketeer

Are we nuts for even considering this? We are booked for 8/25-8/30. I have not been able to find flights with the times we are looking for(arriving at Orlando before noon and leaving Orlando later than 8PM) for under $400 a person. Since we need 4 tickets, that's a lot of money.

We planned on taking the auto train. But now we think we are just going to drive....from NJ...with a 5 year old and a 2 year old.....and I'm starting to think we're insane.

DH does not want to drive straight through or drive overnight. The driving plan is leave super early in the morning on Friday Aug 23...like 5 AM. Pull the kids out of bed and toss them in the car(in their car seats of course!) still in their jammies. Hope and pray they fall back asleep. Stop around 10 or so to change the kids into clothes and grab a quick breakfast/early lunch at a rest stop or something. Hit the road and drive, stopping as needed for potty breaks.

Stop driving around dinner time. Stay overnight somewhere in one of the Carolinas(any suggestions for a good halfway point?)

Next morning, hit the road after breakfast, stopping once again as needed for breaks and lunch. DH estimates that we should be in Orlando by late afternoon. We are staying off site on Sat Aug 24(somewhere decent but cheap...around 80 or so for the night...once again any suggestions?) Rest up as needed and either go resort hopping or hit Downtown Disney for dinner before heading to bed for a good night's sleep.

Then on Sunday morning, wake up at the crack of dawn, drive to the Contemporary, and check in. Yes, I know our rooms won't be ready but we can still get our park tickets and head right to MK, right? And then during our midday break, then we can unpack all our stuff.

We'll be taking 2 days to drive home too.

We'll have plenty of snacks and drinks for the kids(and advil for me because the are we there yet questions are going to drive me nuts) for the drive. Plus an iPad along with a mount that attaches to the headrest so the kids can watch movies(planning on loading lots of Disney ones on there for them)

The longest car ride we're ever done with my older son was up to Boston when he was 2.5. We only needed to take 1 break both ways. With 2 kids, we're driven the 3 hours to Hershey. Took a break halfway for lunch and to visit a little train village display since they love trains on the way up. Drove straight home without any breaks. Both kids are good in the car. They were both awesome on a 6 hour flight this past year too.

So please tell me that the drive all the way down 95 with kids isnt' that bad. I survived the drive 2x in high school...on an bus...with the marching band...so I know how long it is. DH has also driven down multiple times with his parents...they never flew down.

Me DH DS1 (5) DS2 (2)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1280
ThereYouSeeHer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayf View Post
So please tell me that the drive all the way down 95 with kids isnt' that bad. I survived the drive 2x in high school...on an bus...with the marching band...so I know how long it is. DH has also driven down multiple times with his parents...they never flew down.
I think you'll be fine. You seem to have realistic expectations about needing to stop for breaks and overnight stays. We also do not drive overnight and prefer to leave around 5am or so. Our kids will sometimes go back to sleep for awhile, but sometimes they don't. Usually, if we make them go to the bathroom before we get in the car, they have a hard time falling back asleep. So sometimes we put them directly in the car, knowing we may have to stop sooner than later. We also traveled with a kid toilet in the back of our car, which is so helpful for quick bathroom breaks (and avoiding yucky restrooms along the way). We line the toilet with a fresh diaper and change it after each use, which makes cleanup super easy!

2003 May (Offsite), 2007 Dec (ASMo), 2008 Dec (POP), 2009 Dec (ASMu, CSR, and AKL), 2010 Dec (ASSp, SSR), 2011 Sep (Dream, POFQ), 2012 Sep (OKW, Dream), 2013 Aug (AoA, POR, ASMo), 2014 Nov (Poly, ASMu), 2015 Oct (Vero, Magic, FW Cabins)

Disney Bingo
Values left to try: None! (Done: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, AOA)
Moderates left to try: CBR, FW (Done: POFQ, POR, CSR)
Deluxes & Villas left to try: GF, Poly, WL, YC, BC, BW, CR (Done: OKW, AKL, SSR)
Beach Resorts left to try: HHI, Vero
Cruise Ships left to try: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy (Done: Dream)
Months left to try: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov (Done: May, Aug, Sep, Dec)

Splish, Splash, the Dream was a Blast! 9/1/2011 Trip Report
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1281
chuckinthechat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
Hi team August. My family is hoping to become members but will need free dining to make it this year. Have never been to disney. Couple of questions.

WNY ers: what flight prices would you grab onto? We never fly so not sure what a good deal is and want to grab something if I see it.

I have become obsessed with DIS board. Once in awhile I have ran across random posts where certified planners are offering great deals. Any special spot I could be checking for these? Thanks in advance for input!
I am coming from the same area and was able to get a great deal on direct flights through JetBlue. I would look there and southwest as they are generally cheaper then delta or any other carrier
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1282
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are we nuts for even considering this?

You aren't nuts. With the price of airfare for a family of four there can be considerable cost savings by driving.

Our kids are a little older, 7 & 4, but they have been road warriors since birth since our family lives in Michigan and we're in Texas. 1200 miles each way. Oddly enough it's the same distance from here to Orlando so they are accustomed to it.

We have two iPads that we load up with movies, pack a cooler with drinks and snacks and level set the expectations of how long they will be in the car for. (You will have at least one nap and one big sleep before we get there)

We drive straight through and often leave as early as possible in the morning. If we can be on the road by about 5am or so then we can get there around 2am and crash out at the hotel and are ready to go for the morning. Splitting the drive seems like more headache for me personally. We've done that as well and the kids seem to get hyped up about being in the hotel and then they don't want to sleep and in turn we don't get the sleep we need so we're tired and cranky.

If the kids know they are going to Disney World that should help with the "are we there yet?" questions. Again, it goes back to setting the expectations for them. The younger one might be a bit more challenging in that regard, but the older one likely will be interested in the geography and where you are and such. Getting a paper map for him/her can be a cool thing for them to follow along on the trip.

One last piece of advice. Don't pack the car so full on the way down that you don't have room for stuff that you will bring back.

Good luck and have fun!
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #1283
shopn24seven
DIS Veteran

I drove from NJ to Disney once....It wasn't that bad, we made it a 2 or 3 day trip. We had a baby with us, so we took our time.

I live in TX now, same amount of miles, give or take. It's just cheaper to drive IMO and less stress, to fly.
Just paid for airfare for around 120 per person. If I had a larger family, I would drive for sure.

2014 OKW
2014 AoA
2013 BC
2012 POR
2011 CR
2010 AKL
2009 POP
2004 ASMo
1984 Off Site FIRST VISIT
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #1284
Murray29
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch

We will be in Disney August 15th - August 26th staying at YC. This will be our 1st deluxe stay, we've always done value for all of our past trips. We got an awesome deal through ***. The only reason we are doing Disney this summer is because of the cheap flights we got out of our little hometown airport in Western NY (did i mention we usually drive the 18-20 hour trip to WDW ~ my kiddoes do fine, I'm the tortured soul who struggles). We go out of ELM & got flights for$202 round trip. I've still been tracking the prices & they are currently at $222 for our exact dates. I usually use Kayak to track prices & get daily price updates. We often fly out of Rochester or Buffalo when we travel due to cheaper prices, but this time we lucked out. Good luck at finding flights!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1285
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
Our flight price for this August was $330 pp round trip out of Syracuse, NY. Both flights (there and back) are non-stop via Jetblue, so this price also includes our checked baggage, seat selection, onboard snacks, etc.

We paid slightly less last August ($868 for three tickets, again non-stops both directions from Syracuse on Jetblue), and slightly more for Christmas week out of Buffalo ($1100 for three round trip tickets, to Orlando via Airtran and home to Buffalo via Jetblue......non stops in both cases). This price included seat selection on Airtran but not baggage.

I did see Southwest and Airtran flights for August at $100 each way when the schedule was originally released, but am not sure if those are still available (though someone on the Canadian board just posted a few days ago that they snagged $89 pp each way flights on Southwest out of Buffalo....just not sure of when they were travelling). We are not fans of Southwest's open seating policy so we opted to pay a little more and fly our airline of choice.

Good luck on finding flights that work with your budget!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1286
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayf
Are we nuts for even considering this? We are booked for 8/25-8/30. I have not been able to find flights with the times we are looking for(arriving at Orlando before noon and leaving Orlando later than 8PM) for under $400 a person. Since we need 4 tickets, that's a lot of money.

We planned on taking the auto train. But now we think we are just going to drive....from NJ...with a 5 year old and a 2 year old.....and I'm starting to think we're insane.

DH does not want to drive straight through or drive overnight. The driving plan is leave super early in the morning on Friday Aug 23...like 5 AM. Pull the kids out of bed and toss them in the car(in their car seats of course!) still in their jammies. Hope and pray they fall back asleep. Stop around 10 or so to change the kids into clothes and grab a quick breakfast/early lunch at a rest stop or something. Hit the road and drive, stopping as needed for potty breaks.

Stop driving around dinner time. Stay overnight somewhere in one of the Carolinas(any suggestions for a good halfway point?)

Next morning, hit the road after breakfast, stopping once again as needed for breaks and lunch. DH estimates that we should be in Orlando by late afternoon. We are staying off site on Sat Aug 24(somewhere decent but cheap...around 80 or so for the night...once again any suggestions?) Rest up as needed and either go resort hopping or hit Downtown Disney for dinner before heading to bed for a good night's sleep.

Then on Sunday morning, wake up at the crack of dawn, drive to the Contemporary, and check in. Yes, I know our rooms won't be ready but we can still get our park tickets and head right to MK, right? And then during our midday break, then we can unpack all our stuff.

We'll have plenty of snacks and drinks for the kids(and advil for me because the are we there yet questions are going to drive me nuts) for the drive. Plus an iPad along with a mount that attaches to the headrest so the kids can watch movies(planning on loading lots of Disney ones on there for them)

The longest car ride we're ever done with my older son was up to Boston when he was 2.5. We only needed to take 1 break both ways. With 2 kids, we're driven the 3 hours to Hershey. Took a break halfway for lunch and to visit a little train village display since they love trains on the way up. Drove straight home without any breaks. Both kids are good in the car. They were both awesome on a 6 hour flight this past year too.

I don't think you are crazy. Sounds like you have a solid plan. I would keep checking airline prices too as they change often. Not sure how close you are, but I keep seeing ads for Frontier airlines out of Trenton. Also, I would keep an eye on JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest. I don't live in Jersey, but have relatives that often use these airlines.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1287
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think you'll be good to go. We just moved from NC and we normally would drive straight through, depending on when we would leave. We lived about two hours south of Raleigh so if possible I'd try to stop a few hours south of Raleigh, either near Fayetville or closer to the SC border if possible. Our two year old definitely got cranky by the end of our drive last time, however, with movies and snacks he was pretty happy for most of it. We also have what we have dubbed the "Magic CD", a Jewel Lullaby CD, that almost always puts him to sleep and we just pop that on when it's nap time and normally he goes to sleep! I also found it's important not to push lunch too late or he'll fall asleep before we break for lunch and then he won't get a real nap in, which makes the drive a wee bit harder! Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1288
kbender295
Earning My Ears

Southern or northern NJ? Im driving w my two kids (14 and 6) because we are stopping to see friends / family along the way. DH is flying out of Whiteplains,NY for about $250. LGA in NYC was comparable.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #1289
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

We have driven twice with the kids from the Philadelphia area. I would do it again if we couldn't get the right airfare. If you are hitting DC around rush hour, try to avoid it. I know we have bypassed it by leaving 95 around Wilmington DE and getting to Rt 13. It brings you back to 95 in VA, but I can't recall exactly where. We stopped around Wilson, NC. We still did not get to Disney until about 6 pm. The further you can make it day 1, the better. Microtel offers reasonable and decent hotel rooms. Be sure to stop at the Flordia welcome center along the way for a free cup of OJ!
Remember to shop Frontier Airlines out of Trenton and Spirit out of Atlantic City for decent airfare.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1290
msyjoa
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopn24seven View Post

I live in TX now, same amount of miles, give or take. It's just cheaper to drive IMO and less stress, to fly.
Just paid for airfare for around 120 per person. If I had a larger family, I would drive for sure.
Wow, what airline did you find flights for 120 a person?? I thought I did decent at 325 a person, TX to FL.

Tags
august 2013, lgmh, planning, resorts, restaurants

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: