Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Minimum age of 14 to enter parks alone: Starts March 23rd

Looks like DIsney is finally worried a little about liability. What does everyone think, too young, too old?

Also, it does not say they need to be accompanied throughout the park, just that they need to be accompanied at admission...

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/disney...lone-1C8910402
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

It can't hurt, but as stated in the article, they will have no way of really knowing the ages-- unless they have it encoded in the pass-- which still could be misinformation given at the time of purchase--or unless the kid is like 8--
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I personally think that the policy should be based on the age that adult tickets are required. Bottom line is if someone has to pay the adult price, they should be treated as an adult.

So I see two viable options, lower the minimum age to match the current ticket policy or raise the child ticket age limit to 13 and under.

I can honestly envision some lawsuits if they don't match. I don't know who would win, but they cost money to defend, which in turn raises prices for everyone.

I can also see some issues, say that a 13 year old is at Disneyland with Mom and Dad. Mom decides to go DCA and Dad stays at DL. Now Dad has to leave to go to work, so the kid wants to join Mom, does that mean that Mom must now leave the park to come get the 13 year old, who is perfectly capable of switching parks?

Or what if this same group needs a locker and all of the lockers inside the parks are full (happens a lot during the summer). Now, lets say Mom and Dad have mobility issues or get hurt and are in first aid, but the kid needs to get something out of the locker. What happens in cases like this?

I can see this causing a lot more problems than just these. Additionally, I know many 14 year olds that shouldn't be left on their own and many 9 year olds tht would be perfectly fine.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I can honestly envision some lawsuits if they don't match. I don't know who would win, but they cost money to defend, which in turn raises prices for everyone.
Disney would win, it would be a frivolous suit.

Disney can set ticket prices where ever they like, they could even charge more for a child's ticket than an adult ticket if they wish.

Or, they could simply charge the same for all tickets without regard to age. That is exactly what they've done with annual passes.

Ticket pricing has nothing to do with at what age a minor can enter the park unaccompanied.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

Disney would win, it would be a frivolous suit.

Disney can set ticket prices where ever they like, they could even charge more for a child's ticket than an adult ticket if they wish.

Or, they could simply charge the same for all tickets without regard to age. That is exactly what they've done with annual passes.

Ticket pricing has nothing to do with at what age a minor can enter the park unaccompanied.
I don't think it would be (see my perfectly legitimate examples of problems that could happen) and as I said, even if they win, they cost a lot to defend.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I don't think it would be (see my perfectly legitimate examples of problems that could happen) and as I said, even if they win, they cost a lot to defend.
The loser could be ordered to pay the legal fees for the winner, costing Disney nothing.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

The loser could be ordered to pay the legal fees for the winner, costing Disney nothing.
That rarely happens in the U.S., unless the courts consider it completely frivolous and in this situation I could see legitimate legal arguments being made, making it not frivolous, but still might not hold up.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
the who #3
DIS Veteran

Smile minimum age

i can see why some children would need an adult with them. disney should not be required to baby sit. and i have seen some parents leave the little ones to fin for themselves and the cms have to watch and some times help.

i do think it appropriate for the ticket price to be less if there are two people required. if two people rent a hotel room together, the price is cheaper. if one person rents the room alone they must pay more. makes sense to me.

at age 14 my grandson and his friend knew every inch of disney and could manage to route the best and most efficient transportation from one location to the next and even be able to meet us for dinner on time. i admit that we did insist that there be more than one of them (not be alone) and that they prove that they would behave respectful of disney property, employees and other guests. we would some times watch from a distance.
the who #3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
tubtruck
Tubtastic

Quote:
I personally think that the policy should be based on the age that adult tickets are required. Bottom line is if someone has to pay the adult price, they should be treated as an adult.

So I see two viable options, lower the minimum age to match the current ticket policy or raise the child ticket age limit to 13 and under.

I can also see some issues, say that a 13 year old is at Disneyland with Mom and Dad. Mom decides to go DCA and Dad stays at DL. Now Dad has to leave to go to work, so the kid wants to join Mom, does that mean that Mom must now leave the park to come get the 13 year old, who is perfectly capable of switching parks?

Or what if this same group needs a locker and all of the lockers inside the parks are full (happens a lot during the summer). Now, lets say Mom and Dad have mobility issues or get hurt and are in first aid, but the kid needs to get something out of the locker. What happens in cases like this?

I can see this causing a lot more problems than just these. Additionally, I know many 14 year olds that shouldn't be left on their own and many 9 year olds tht would be perfectly fine.
Sounds like a great idea, so long as they change all the E ticket rides from a height restriction to an age restriction of over 14 years old

tubtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

The restriction on Fast rides has to do with the safety devices fitting properly and age has nothing to do with that. My kids will be 15 or older before they are allowed at Disney alone.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
Looks like DIsney is finally worried a little about liability. What does everyone think, too young, too old?

Also, it does not say they need to be accompanied throughout the park, just that they need to be accompanied at admission...

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/disney...lone-1C8910402
~I don't have a problem with this new rule -- it's just to enter the park.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
That rarely happens in the U.S., unless the courts consider it completely frivolous and in this situation I could see legitimate legal arguments being made, making it not frivolous, but still might not hold up.
Disney is private property. Disney is entitled to set age rules. Do you know of any federal or Florida law which specifically prohibits Disneys new policy? Baring such a rule/law the suit would be thrown out. Might even be considered frivolous. Your contrived examples aren't legal reasons why the policy is illegal. You list some cases where it might not be convenient. There is a federal law prohibiting age discrimination in employment with respect to employees age 40 and over. What law do you think Disney is violating?

Wasn't there an issue in California with kids with SPs using Disney asr after school day care / activity?

I suspect enforcement will be spoty.

Many hotels won't rent a room to a guest under 21. Many dinner shows include adult beverages. Guests under 21 aren't always charged a lower price. Many malls have age limits.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
poton754
Earning My Ears

A bit much

Its really a bit much. The parks are super safe. There are many kids thats are totally capable of jumping on Disney Transport and going to a park without their parents when they want to do something a bit different than the family.
poton754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I think there's a big difference between "entering alone" and "being on their own inside the park". I had no problem letting my 13 & 10 year old wander the parks by themselves, but we were also brought them to the park and were in the parks also. It's not like we told them to just go jump on the bus and go by themselves. Although, now that the oldest will be 16 I would have no problem letting her go by herself.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I think it is perfectly reasonable and well within their right. No matter how well behaved your kids are with you, that is not necessarily a reflection of how they will be on their own. Disney cannot be responsible for the liability of non adults running around the park. Further, it would potentially disturb other guests.

When people bristle at these rules, their immediate thought goes to "but my kids..." If that's too difficult for you to wrap your brain around, spend another moment thinking about the worst kids you've encountered from another family. If that doesn't work, just think of it this way - Disney wants your kids to have a safe experience, and they know that the best people to assure that are their parents.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: