Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

Spring planting begins!

OK, just planted some basil seeds in a pot by my kitchen window. I hope it will be a nice size when the time to plant it is here! I'll start some tomato seeds later this week, again inside.

Is anyone else planning their vegetable garden now?

Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

Planted vegetable seeds indoors today! Anyone else?
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
gillenkl
DIS Veteran
 
gillenkl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware: in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room
Posts: 2,202

I am doing my first square foot garden this year. Yesterday I started 100 veg seeds indoors.. What r u growing?
__________________


Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS14DD14
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl View Post
I am doing my first square foot garden this year. Yesterday I started 100 veg seeds indoors.. What r u growing?
I hope yours is doing better than mine! We've had very dry conditions, and I've been away too much. I've a few cucumbers and basil. Haven't harvested anything else, pumpkin and zuchinni plants have died.
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
denisem
DIS Veteran
 
denisem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,077

Still learning to garden in FL. Hoping my fall gardening will go better as far as tomatoes are concerned. Summers are too darn hot & humid for tomatoes, I guess.

Got lots of cucumbers this spring - enough for refrigerator pickles, which was a surprise as this was my 1st time growing cukes. My herbs are overflowing and sweet peppers are still going strong. Just started some fall tomato & cucumber seeds a few weeks ago so it remains to be seen if I can harvest anything before it freezes.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
yellowsubmarine31
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11

I have a basil plant in my kitchen! I love the smell of it, it's a great little plant.
yellowsubmarine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
gumbyack454
Earning My Ears
 
gumbyack454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11

Time to plant jalepenos
gumbyack454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

I have basil and parsley growing in my kitchen. I'll plant them outside when it's warmer!
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

My basil plants seem to have been eaten.
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby
 
mommytotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 121,387

It has been raining here almost every day, so the weeds are growing nicely. The rain had damaged my tomatoes, and most of my sunflowers that were blooming at the time . But my marigolds, and basils are growing nicely.
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyWalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,050

Thought I would join in yall's gardening group.

Back in early May, I planted corn, peppers, tomatoes, four types of squash and princess pumpkins. We had great weather for almost 2 solid months. My squash and pumpkins were producing like crazy. However, the tomatoes and peppers just weren't doing anything. Then it started to rain and rain and rain. It has rained almost everyday for 3 weeks. Sometimes its just a 5 minute shower but other times its an all day torrential downpour.

Now my squash blooms are rotting on the vine (too humid and rainy), the corn is doing wonderful, the pumpkins are trying to ripen, the tomatoes started to make but they are just little tomato nubs and the pepper plants never even developed into a full plant.

I use a homemade pesticide and for the most part I haven't had any issues with bugs -- until last week, when the squash bugs found what was left of my patty squash.

I'm hoping my Fall garden will do better. Plan to get it started in about 3 more weeks. Are ya'll planting this Fall?
__________________
Disneyworld Trips: 7
Seaworld/Aquatica Trips: 15
Harry Potter Vacation: Hopefully real soon!
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 31 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 56,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
Thought I would join in yall's gardening group.

Back in early May, I planted corn, peppers, tomatoes, four types of squash and princess pumpkins. We had great weather for almost 2 solid months. My squash and pumpkins were producing like crazy. However, the tomatoes and peppers just weren't doing anything. Then it started to rain and rain and rain. It has rained almost everyday for 3 weeks. Sometimes its just a 5 minute shower but other times its an all day torrential downpour.

Now my squash blooms are rotting on the vine (too humid and rainy), the corn is doing wonderful, the pumpkins are trying to ripen, the tomatoes started to make but they are just little tomato nubs and the pepper plants never even developed into a full plant.

I use a homemade pesticide and for the most part I haven't had any issues with bugs -- until last week, when the squash bugs found what was left of my patty squash.

I'm hoping my Fall garden will do better. Plan to get it started in about 3 more weeks. Are ya'll planting this Fall?
Hi!

I have good news. My raspberry plants produced while I was away and I told a neighbor to help herself. She did, but she also froze 2 quart bags of raspberries for me! She's a good friend!!!


Up here, we've had rain for much of the 3 1/2 weeks that I've been away, the zucchini plant is thriving but no fruit yet, but there are small tomatoes and the pepper plants have flowers!

I do not plant a fall crop, the summer things usually last through some of September. However, now that I'm home, I have to cut back the raspberries, hopefully we will get a fall crop, but that depends on when the first frost is.

Welcome!

Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyWalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Hi!

I have good news. My raspberry plants produced while I was away and I told a neighbor to help herself. She did, but she also froze 2 quart bags of raspberries for me! She's a good friend!!!


Up here, we've had rain for much of the 3 1/2 weeks that I've been away, the zucchini plant is thriving but no fruit yet, but there are small tomatoes and the pepper plants have flowers!

I do not plant a fall crop, the summer things usually last through some of September. However, now that I'm home, I have to cut back the raspberries, hopefully we will get a fall crop, but that depends on when the first frost is.

Welcome!

Bobbi

Thank you Bobbie for the welcome. I did have a bumper crop of volunteer blackberries and sour cherries. In fact, I put up 25 pints of sour cherry jelly and 9 pints of blackberry jelly. SO good!

I have never had a raspberries - are they tart like blueberries?
__________________
Disneyworld Trips: 7
Seaworld/Aquatica Trips: 15
Harry Potter Vacation: Hopefully real soon!
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 31 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby
 
mommytotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 121,387

Hi Heather!

Sounds like both of your gardens are doing very well. The rain had gotten my sunflowers again. But, last week I had seen a cardinal eating the seeds from my sunflowers, and it made me happy knowing that I was giving a bird a yummy treat. Our giant pumpkin did not make it boo hoo. We were hoping to at least carve it for Halloween. It cracked on the bottom, and it started to shrink. The vine does have a couple more new flowers, so hoping a pumpkin grows from at least one of those flowers.
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyWalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Hi Heather!

Sounds like both of your gardens are doing very well. The rain had gotten my sunflowers again. But, last week I had seen a cardinal eating the seeds from my sunflowers, and it made me happy knowing that I was giving a bird a yummy treat. Our giant pumpkin did not make it boo hoo. We were hoping to at least carve it for Halloween. It cracked on the bottom, and it started to shrink. The vine does have a couple more new flowers, so hoping a pumpkin grows from at least one of those flowers.
Oh, I would love to draw birds closer to the house. I have beautiful pine warblers in the pines and the occassional bluebird but for the most part nothing except for mockingbirds. My barn cats eat my birds! I have developed a love hate relationship with my cats. We live smack dab in the middle of 10 acres of woods and I need the cats for mice and snake control. Unfortunately, they also provide bird control. So I'm a little jealous of those that get to have bird feeders and birdhouses that actually get used.

Sorry to hear about your pumpkin. Hopefully, you will get a few more growing on the vine. I have got roughly 30 princess pumpkins on the vine but with all this rain there is a good chance they may rot before their ready. In fact, we got another 2inches yesterday. That has us up to 9 inches of rain in 3 weeks. I haven't had to water my garden in over a month.
__________________
Disneyworld Trips: 7
Seaworld/Aquatica Trips: 15
Harry Potter Vacation: Hopefully real soon!
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 31 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.