Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
AutisticAlice
Earning My Ears

Hello~

My name is Kimi. Yes, I'm autistic. I can speak, but my iPad helps me with the verbal expression I lack WHILE speaking. Aside from that, I love Alice in Wonderland because it's so relatable. I always feel as if I'm in my own world must of the time, hence my username.

I also have ADHD, developmental delays and severe anxiety. I know, I don't 'act' disabled as I seem. That's because as i said before, this is how I express myself so, it's caused a bit of a seriousness when I'm typing.

I also love Disney Princesses. My favorite is Tiana right now. I also love Jasmine, Ariel and Pocahontas. I love Disney Fairies also, my favorites are Tinkerbell and Vidia. <3

If you want to know more, feel free to ask~
AutisticAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Jadeey
Mouseketeer

Welcome!

I'm fairly new here myself, but it's a wonderful place for anyone who loves Disney. :D
Jadeey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
yellowsubmarine31
Earning My Ears

Hi! I'm new as well. I love Alice in Wonderland, I often find myself in my own world as well. It's a classic.
yellowsubmarine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Hi, Kim, and welcome.

My real name is Alice, and I'm a high school math teacher.

Let me tell you, I have to admire your opening. Not only do you acknowledge a problem, but you've found a way to compensate-- through the use of your Ipad. Most of us have issues that could use the sort of reflection you've put into your communication issues.

Have you been to Disney World or Disneyland? We're hoping to return during the summer of 2014. We've been saving like crazy to make it happen.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
AutisticAlice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Hi, Kim, and welcome.

My real name is Alice, and I'm a high school math teacher.

Let me tell you, I have to admire your opening. Not only do you acknowledge a problem, but you've found a way to compensate-- through the use of your Ipad. Most of us have issues that could use the sort of reflection you've put into your communication issues.

Have you been to Disney World or Disneyland? We're hoping to return during the summer of 2014. We've been saving like crazy to make it happen.
Lol thanks. My disabilities aren't always a burden. I always try to think about the things I can do that prey you much awe people, you know? I like being an inspiration to others who struggle the way I do and show them the good sides. So etimes I inspire those with relatives or friends of autism. ^^
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutisticAlice View Post
My name is Kimi. Yes, I'm autistic. I can speak, but my iPad helps me with the verbal expression I lack WHILE speaking. Aside from that, I love Alice in Wonderland because it's so relatable. I always feel as if I'm in my own world must of the time, hence my username.

I also have ADHD, developmental delays and severe anxiety. I know, I don't 'act' disabled as I seem. That's because as i said before, this is how I express myself so, it's caused a bit of a seriousness when I'm typing.

I also love Disney Princesses. My favorite is Tiana right now. I also love Jasmine, Ariel and Pocahontas. I love Disney Fairies also, my favorites are Tinkerbell and Vidia. <3

If you want to know more, feel free to ask~
welcome! every single disney trip i've taken except for 3 has been with my autistic older brother. it isn't always easy but it's something that brings him joy. it either works for some people with autism or it wrecks them and i'm glad it works for you

2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
jordanri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
AutisticAlice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanri View Post
welcome! every single disney trip i've taken except for 3 has been with my autistic older brother. it isn't always easy but it's something that brings him joy. it either works for some people with autism or it wrecks them and i'm glad it works for you
Well, back when i went... my parents didn't know I had Autism at the time. I wasn't diagnosed until about twelve? Somewhere around that age. The only thing they knew, was by second grade that I had severe ADHD (I'm on meds now so it's manageable) and a learning disability.

I wasn't diagnosed with anxiety until recently which I think erupted as I got older. In fact, I think my Autism has gotten worse, just as it gets better... if that makes sense? Like, some things such as my social skills are slowly getting better but they are still really awkward and random. My ADHD medication helps with sensory overloads and my other medication helps with my autism and the psychotic type emotional overloads.

I'm in psychiatric care for mental health services as well. So, I can't really say my Autism has gotten TOO worse but... it hasn't really gotten that much improvement either. It used to be borderline when I was younger but as I got older and experienced a new world, I think it escalated into become mild to moderate. All I know is, I'm on the spectrum for ASD. I've been told that I border between Asperger Syndrome and Classic Autism while other times it's infantile autism or Autistic Disorder.

My parents can't afford to get me re-evaluated anymore.

Also, my favorite ride ever is It's a small world. Ever since the first grade, I have loved that ride so much.

You are free to read my story here. It's called Wish Upon a Star and it's about an autistic girl's first WDW adventure. ^_^
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
cadisneyagent
Lives at Disneyland and vacations at Disneyworld

Hi,

My son has a very mild cased of Autism, sometimes its hard when I take him to Disneyland which is like twice a month, I actually gave up going in July with him because of crowds, and I just don't feel right about getting the disability card since we can go so often. His first WDW trip is coming up in Sept, and I am debating about getting the card. I want to teach him to cope with it as normally as possible in public.

It was actually easier when he was two or younger because I used to just wear him all the time and it helped. Another thing that helps is if there is a child around him and they can play in line but I can't guarantee that and his cousins are big bullies so I won't take them.

California Adventure Hotel ~2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Paradise Pier~2013

All Star Music~2013 (14 magical nights)
cadisneyagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!