Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

We have yet to stay off-site, but each year it seems like I look closer at it But one big key is that we always use EMH and you do not get that with off-site.
We drive, and one of the best part is parking the van and not needing to use it. Our DD's love riding the buses, so for them that is part of the excitement. At the beginning we would sometimes drive to the parks but the time saved was minimal, so now I will drive if we need to go to another resort, but that is it.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
sadossey
Mouseketeer

We went for the first time last year with kids 5&2, stayed at POR. We loved it. We are going back this April with my sisters family, they went a couple years ago and stayed off site and she said they would never do that again. It was nice to get away from the real world, no wal mart, no gas stations, no McDonalds!
sadossey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

Our first time we visited WDW in 2004, we stayed off-site. We vowed to stay on-site the next time. Then we stayed at CBR and then POR. We tried giving off-site another try by staying in a 3BR condo we got for an awesome deal (see my trip report in my signature for details and the on-site vs. off-site debate.) The Cliff's Notes version: we had to go back later that year to stay on-site (POFQ) to feel like a true Disney vacation.

There is something to be said for staying in the 'Disney bubble'. We learned our lesson (twice) and will always stay on-site from now on. Some people may enjoy staying off-site and getting a break from Disney, but we feel that it isn't a 'real' Disney vacation unless we stay on-site.

We are going back to POR in late July/early August. We love that resort, and I am sure you will, too.
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
Grumpy Dan
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I would love to always stay onsite. However, as WDW will not guarantee connecting rooms, our only option there is a Villa. A big Villa at that. And even renting DVC points, it is just way more economical for us to rent a vacation house close by. Based on my research, we saved $3,500 in a rental compared to renting points for Treehouse Villas.

I love the Disney bubble, my wallet does not.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
pbarager
DDC #720

Last year was our first trip and we stayed onsite at CSR, glad we did to learn the ropes. Since then we bought into Wyndham through resale and are staying at Bonett Creek inside the Disney gates for a fraction of the price in a 1300 sqft. suite at an awesome resort. I don't think we will ever stay onsite again unless we trade into DVC.

Paul

December 2012 CSR December 2013 WBC!!
pbarager is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: