Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
megan_in_pink
Mouseketeer

Anyone make qulits?

I am looking for a new hobby, I was wondering if any of you made Quilts. How should I start? I have a sewing machine, but rarely use it.

Thanks for the help!
megan_in_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
YoYoAurora

Pity my DH! It's a looooong list
And now back to my usual ignore all schedule

I would check for classes at the local sewing center or fabric store. Another great place to learn to quilt is the local quilters group. Check your local newspaper or do an internet search to see if there is one in your area. It's a wonderful hobby. I used to quilt, but haven't in a few years.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

I have been thinking of making a quilt out of lots of "old" disney tee shirts, but not sure if the fabric would be appropriate. Has anyone done this type of quilt? Would it work if I just stabilized the stretchy fabric with a cotton backer?

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
YoYoAurora

Pity my DH! It's a looooong list
And now back to my usual ignore all schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
I have been thinking of making a quilt out of lots of "old" disney tee shirts, but not sure if the fabric would be appropriate. Has anyone done this type of quilt? Would it work if I just stabilized the stretchy fabric with a cotton backer?
I haven't, but I do know a lot of people who have made memory quilts with t-shirts. I'd look for a quilting group in your area. Most likely someone in the group will have already made a t-shirt quilt and can help you.

Please post a photo of it here when you get it finished!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
krb2g
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
You could definitely do a Disney t-shirt quilt! Don't stabilize with cotton--get fusible interfacing as it will be easier to attach and interfacing is designed to give fabric stability.

As far as getting started quilting goes, I started with a pattern and began stitching when I was in middle school--but I picked up lots of bad habits! Lots of quilt shops will have lessons you can take; or you could buy a lesson book to practice. I'd also recommend starting small (baby quilts or wall quilts) and then working up to a full sized quilt.

There are lots of tools out there that can make your quilting more precise and quicker--sewing machines of course, but also rotary cutters and strip piecing. I definitely recommend looking into rotary cutters especially: they scared me for a long time, but once I started using them and got some practice in, they made cutting pieces so much easier--it's both quicker and more precise for me in many situations.

Finally, make friends who can help out--once you've gotten the top pieced, it's much easier to sandwich the quilt (and quilt it) if you've got more than one pair of hands working!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Thanks for the advice. Fusible interfacing does sound like a good plan. I also have lots of sewing experience from childhood and up, but haven't done much in the recent years. I was cleaning out some of my "stuff" last year and gave my rotary cutter and board to a friend....I might have to ask to borrow it back!

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: