Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #1651
Clochette nordique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
You're quite welcome Oh really? DH and I was wondering about that because we aren't planning on having kids until he's done with med school (he starts next year). So I'll also end up being an older mom.
Glad to know it works out well!
You and your friends will have a blast! Staying at POFQ?
I first gave birth at 38, and I still wouldn't have it any other way.... 13 years later!

Poussière de fée!

sniff, sniff, no ticker!

DLParis - Août 2017 ; DCL-Magic Greece - Août 2017
WDW-POR - Novembre 2013 ; DCL-Fantasy Western Caribbean - Novembre 2013
DL-Paradise Pier - Février 2012 ; DCL-Wonder Mexican Riviera - Février 2012
WDW-Poly - Mai 2011 ; DCL-Dream Bahamas - Mai 2011
Clochette nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #1652
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
How was building 6 in relation to pool and food court, bus stop, etc.? Thinking of requesting that building if we decide on FQ for our trip. River view
If you want to be on the river, then you will be in the rooms farthest from the bus stop and food court. But the walk was very short in our opinion. As for the pool, I liked being in Building 6 better than 5 since 5 is right there at the pool but Building 6 gives you a bit of space away from it. (I would never pay for a pool-view room -- you'd have to pay ME to take one.) For us it was a quick walk through Building 5 to get to the pool. Not a problem at all.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #1653
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clochette nordique View Post
I first gave birth at 38, and I still wouldn't have it any other way.... 13 years later!

Poussière de fée!
Glad to know I am not alone. Had dd at 36 and ds at 40.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #1654
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Adults are allowed on the pool slide? I had a terrible experience on a slide 20+ years ago at a water park in VA and have not been on one since -- too scared. I'd really like to try a little slide just for the fun of it, but I thought adults weren't allowed. I'm planning on doing a roller coaster for the first time in 20+ years on this trip. Might as well do a slide too!
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #1655
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Adults are allowed on the pool slide? I had a terrible experience on a slide 20+ years ago at a water park in VA and have not been on one since -- too scared. I'd really like to try a little slide just for the fun of it, but I thought adults weren't allowed. I'm planning on doing a roller coaster for the first time in 20+ years on this trip. Might as well do a slide too!
Absolutely, adults are allowed on the slide!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 Poly
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #1656
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Absolutely, adults are allowed on the slide!
And the POFQ slide is pretty tame compared to the POR one.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #1657
Amunet
DIS Veteran

It's better than no slide though ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 199520052013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #1658
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRose View Post
Andre, you have a nice map overlay above. Any chance that could find it's way to page 1 along with the map of room types/categories?? That would sure be helpful for newcomers and for those who only stop by occasionally. Thanks!
Done. I've also update a few other items in the first-post FAQ which needed tweaking for 2013 too. If someone could give it a quick read-through and let me know if there are any silly mistakes in there? Thanks.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #1659
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

So I showed DH videos and pics of both FQ and Riverside. (And the RGRs) He seemed like he was with me in leaning toward FQ until seeing the RGRs vs the FQ rooms. I think the pool and slide at FQ would be better for our DS6 and DD2 than POR and I like the idea of the smaller resort and 1 bus stop. Thoughts?

Also, how busy does the FQ pool get in the summer (early August)?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #1660
geckodani
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Yup! DH (32) and myself (30) enjoyed the slide in January. And if anyone is wondering, there is NOT a weight limit on it. DH and I are not precisely small, and I about died laughing when he asked the lifeguard, "So, how fat can you be and ride the slide?" I thought the lifeguard was going to choke trying not to laugh. "As large as you want sir, as large as you want."

Last edited by geckodani; 03-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #1661
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
Yup! DD (32) and myself (30) enjoyed the slide in January. And if anyone is wondering, there is NOT a weight limit on it. DH and I are not precisely small, and I about died laughing when he asked the lifeguard, "So, how fat can you be and ride the slide?" I thought the lifeguard was going to choke trying not to laugh. "As large as you want sir, as large as you want."
They let me on it, so I am sure anyone can go on it.

I love the lifeguards response.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #1662
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977
So I showed DH videos and pics of both FQ and Riverside. (And the RGRs) He seemed like he was with me in leaning toward FQ until seeing the RGRs vs the FQ rooms. I think the pool and slide at FQ would be better for our DS6 and DD2 than POR and I like the idea of the smaller resort and 1 bus stop. Thoughts?

Also, how busy does the FQ pool get in the summer (early August)?
We stayed POR early February and did visit POFQ pool because it worked better for our young kids. I agree that FQ being so compact will work better for a family with small children. We love POR but will probably wait until we no longer need a stroller to stay again. I too think the room pics but riverside ahead with style but that's not most important to me after lots and lots of walking at the parks.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #1663
geckodani
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
They let me on it, so I am sure anyone can go on it.

I love the lifeguards response.
It was classic.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #1664
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

We arrive at the end of next week!

We've requested building 5 with a River View. We have the military 40% off so the splurge seemed worth it even though I know we don't have a balcony.

We've stayed at POFQ before when our DDs were 4 (and I had them at age 37, I love being an older mom, I feel like I dropped 10 years off my age, helpful since DH is 4 years younger than I am ).

Back then, it was the first pool slide they'd ever been on. Since then, they've been on many more and wilder ones--and will turn 9 while we're there. However, at WL or the Poly, there's always a line to wait in for the pool. After a few goes, they just play in the water anyway. I'm hoping the line won't be so significant here. Someday, we'll stay at the Beach Club and check out their amazing pool!

We're bringing my older parents and my sister who had foot surgery recently and is still recovering. So, size matters to us--no one is decrepit, but I want my parents to hang out by the pool with us and I can see my dad not bothering if it were far away and he was tired from park touring.

Question--can we bring pool games/toys? I don't remember, but I'd like to bring a ball to toss, that kind of thing.

I can't wait!!! We're down and I can carry anything I want to with us--any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #1665
geraghty
Mouseketeer

We took pool toys like dive sticks and a small ball with us and never had a problem. I would also look at the pool schedule and see what activities are scheduled. My kids were five and almow two at the time and the organized games were perfect for my five year old but none were geared for a toddler. However the slide was perfect for him. Other parents would freak out when they saw a toddler coming down the slide. There is also a nice playground next to the pool area. If you have favorite pool toys I would bring them, but I would not go out and buy any.

As far as what to bring: We took purina filter water bottles and they worked perfect for filling up at the parks and in the room. I don't like the taste of Florida water and the filters worked great. Also you have a small fridge so you can stock up on cokes, juice boxes, etc. With a car even if you forget something you can always go off property.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: