DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
jvalic33
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35

ELMC - I appreciate your honesty and your consideration in your comments throughout. It means a lot that you took the time to give me your opinion because sometimes people just agreeing help you make a decision that is not right for you/me.

First, I did confirm with my DVC direct rep that I would be eligible for the $1000 off on BWV but not BCV and that I would also get the park passes for BWV and not BCV. However, the point you make about a portion of the loan needing to be paid off before I get those tickets is a very good point that I have not looked into.

As far as financing and adding and value of my investment/non-investment, those are all very good points.

First, I totally get the stress of four kids and financials. If I really thought about it, I would barely get up in the morning overwhelmed from the stress of having to feed 5 people and all on my shoulders. I say five because my husband resigned to work with me and I have my own business and if God forbid something happens we are all finished, but anyone can lose their job right?

The problem is I work so hard, at home, 15 hours days and weekends, all while raising four kids and we need and I owe myself a vacation. I would never be taking one twice a year if I didn't but into DVC. Also, we just have a lot of startup expenses as far as our home and farm, etc. so it is difficult to save period, but it helps that I am paying for the vacation over time, even if it is at a price, because I am afraid to use up cash during this economy and would rather pay off the loan more quickly when I have a chance then have the burden of having to give up the cash available now.

That is my thinking.
jvalic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalic33 View Post
ELMC - I appreciate your honesty and your consideration in your comments throughout. It means a lot that you took the time to give me your opinion because sometimes people just agreeing help you make a decision that is not right for you/me.

First, I did confirm with my DVC direct rep that I would be eligible for the $1000 off on BWV but not BCV and that I would also get the park passes for BWV and not BCV. However, the point you make about a portion of the loan needing to be paid off before I get those tickets is a very good point that I have not looked into.

As far as financing and adding and value of my investment/non-investment, those are all very good points.

First, I totally get the stress of four kids and financials. If I really thought about it, I would barely get up in the morning overwhelmed from the stress of having to feed 5 people and all on my shoulders. I say five because my husband resigned to work with me and I have my own business and if God forbid something happens we are all finished, but anyone can lose their job right?

The problem is I work so hard, at home, 15 hours days and weekends, all while raising four kids and we need and I owe myself a vacation. I would never be taking one twice a year if I didn't but into DVC. Also, we just have a lot of startup expenses as far as our home and farm, etc. so it is difficult to save period, but it helps that I am paying for the vacation over time, even if it is at a price, because I am afraid to use up cash during this economy and would rather pay off the loan more quickly when I have a chance then have the burden of having to give up the cash available now.

That is my thinking.
I appreciate your understanding and your sharing your thoughts. I was aware of the discount at BWV but did not know that it would continue to be offered in conjunction with the webcast promo, so that is good information to have.

I understand where you're at right now and your thinking on things. None of us are here to tell you what to do, only to provide information, get you to think and perhaps suggest some alternatives. To that end...

Have you considered renting DVC points? It is a great, low cost, low commitment option that allows you to stay at DVC resorts and take the family vacations that it sounds like you so desperately need.

Second, have you considered financing a resale purchase? While still not the safest financial option, it does at least start your purchase at a lower price point, thus saving you some money. Click on the banner for The Timeshare Store for more information about buying and financing.

Two new things to think about, and good luck with whatever you decide!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The sheet my salesperson sent me said BWV was $500 off 50-99 points, $1000 off 100-199 and $1500 off 200 and above. Price is $115pp.
I was unaware that this could be combined with the webcast offer of free park hoppers. Did you receive confirmation of that?
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I was unaware that this could be combined with the webcast offer of free park hoppers. Did you receive confirmation of that?
I watched the webcast and received an email with the offer and it included the $$$ off in addition to the park hopper passes.
BWV was $115 per point and BLT was $165 per point (but BLT didn't include $$$ off or park hopper passes).

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 939

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The Disney Rep I talked to said that the prices aren't going up, it is only a rumor.

Erika
__________________

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I watched the webcast and received an email with the offer and it included the $$$ off in addition to the park hopper passes.
BWV was $115 per point and BLT was $165 per point (but BLT didn't include $$$ off or park hopper passes).

Amanda
Funny, I watched the webcast and didn't pick up on that. I think I need to pay better attention. Thanks.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
jvalic33
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35

So, I started looking into resale. Does it really matter if I buy in the same use year?

When I review what you say, it is difficult to pass up the savings, plus if I ever want to sell it, I won't have that big drop in value from the Direct price.

Any advice? Should I just check the usual listing places that everyone recommends on the boards?
jvalic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalic33 View Post
So, I started looking into resale. Does it really matter if I buy in the same use year?

When I review what you say, it is difficult to pass up the savings, plus if I ever want to sell it, I won't have that big drop in value from the Direct price.

Any advice? Should I just check the usual listing places that everyone recommends on the boards?
There are advantages of having the same use year. All of your contracts show up nicely and together on the DVC website. You can very easily combine points from different contracts at the 7 month mark. It's also easier to keep track of. But there are advantages of having different use years as well. You can choose which contract to use depending on what time of year you want to travel to avoid putting points at risk in the event of a cancellation. You also have more flexibility when shopping for contracts.

Good luck in your search, it sounds like you are on the right track as far as where to look.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalic33 View Post
So, I started looking into resale. Does it really matter if I buy in the same use year?

When I review what you say, it is difficult to pass up the savings, plus if I ever want to sell it, I won't have that big drop in value from the Direct price.

Any advice? Should I just check the usual listing places that everyone recommends on the boards?
Having a different UY requires a bit more tracking of the points and you will have 2 different memberships and cannot combine the points unless you transfer the points from one membership to the other. I am in the process of selling a SSR 130 point contract that had a different UY then my 160 point SSR contract. I realized having the same RESORT with different UY was not what I wanted - I use the 11 month advantage (THV) and when I did transfer the points there was major issues on MS part - took them a month to straighten out. It all worked out in the end but just made me nervous.

With that being said we are in the process of buying BWV 222 points different UY but I am okay with that since I will not be combining points with my other contracts for the 11 month booking window. I am also looking to add points to our BLT contract but will not consider a different UY then the one I already have for BLT. Hope that makes sense. Good luck
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
jvalic33
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35

That makes sense. So since BCV is a completely new home resort for me then it really doesn't matter what UY I buy.

Why am I still leaning to direct purchase? Is it just the ease of completing it? I hate the idea of having to go back and forth and waiting for ROFR, etc. Also, they will get me points with my use year and I do get the points from the prior year, whereas that is not a guarantee with a resale purchase.

Just out of curiosity and I'm sure ELMC has calculated this, what is the value of those 100 points that I will get from the direct purchase? I believe as long as I close by November, I will get 100 from 2012 and 100 from 2013.
jvalic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalic33 View Post
That makes sense. So since BCV is a completely new home resort for me then it really doesn't matter what UY I buy.

Why am I still leaning to direct purchase? Is it just the ease of completing it? I hate the idea of having to go back and forth and waiting for ROFR, etc. Also, they will get me points with my use year and I do get the points from the prior year, whereas that is not a guarantee with a resale purchase.

Just out of curiosity and I'm sure ELMC has calculated this, what is the value of those 100 points that I will get from the direct purchase? I believe as long as I close by November, I will get 100 from 2012 and 100 from 2013.
The going rate for points in a contract is $10 a point. But to be clear, you are not getting prior year's points, you are getting current points. Assuming you have a December UY, you are currently still in UY 2012 (which runs from Dec 1, 2012-Nov 30 2013). So while you're right, some resale contracts will have those points stripped out of them, Disney isn't doing you any favors, they're doing what's required by law.

But you bring up a good point, and you should definitely account for those points if they're missing from a resale deal. There is nothing wrong with wanting the immediate gratification and convenience of buying direct, that's the advantage. What is troubling is when people don't admit that and try to fudge the numbers to make it seem like it's a good deal financially speaking. It sounds like now you have all the facts, so you are making an informed choice. That's all we can really hope for. Good luck with your decision.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
jvalic33
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35

Thank you for all your help and guidance!
jvalic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears
 
WMorganS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 244

You can save a LOT with multiple use years

Each use year has to be managed separately.
No particular use year is easier to manage than another.
Planning is half the fun.
Therefore, the vacation must be the other half of the fun.
Therefore, each use year after the first must add 50% to your fun.
Therefore, having three use years must double your fun without increasing any costs!
WOOT!
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.